Milan Hejduk retires

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
I find it odd that there are people who believe that he SHOULDN'T have his number retired....just take one look at his Franchise Stats and you'll see that it's OBVIOUS for him to have his Number retired.

After Hejduk, I don't see anyone being deserving of the honor until the time Landeskog, O'Reilly, Duchene, MacKinnon have their careers come to an end, and even then it'd have to depend on their overall careers.

I think if Stastny kept his career going strong for another 8 years or so for us you'd have to at least consider him in that group. Especially considering we're entering a good time in Avs hockey. There's a big IF that he plays with us that long but I think he's right up there.

Edit: Also, happy that Milan retired with us even on the bummer of an ending to his career. Glad that Landy, Dutch, and ROR all got to play with him as they started their careers.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It just pains me that an organization that has existed for less than 20 years will (maybe) have 6 numbers retired. That's just crazy.

Two Cups skew that though. If they hadn't had championship teams I doubt 5-6 numbers get put up there. I'm ok with that and as others have said he's the last of the era.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Up to the rafters he goes, and it'll be a long time until somebody else joins him.

Over 800 points as a member of the Colorado Avalanche. 11 straight seasons of 20+ goals. Rocket Richard trophy winner. 50 goal scorer. 2 time Stanley Cup champion.

16-milan-hejduk-dive-celebration-hockey-dive-gifs.gif

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Goodbye, old friend. Loved talking to you and hearing your takes on life. Cool, cool dude. You can enjoy your glasses of scotch all day now, Duke.

Hejduk_1000th_001_slide.jpg

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's sad that he couldn't find another NHL team, but there is a part of me which is happy that the Avs were his only team.

It just pains me that an organization that has existed for less than 20 years will (maybe) have 6 numbers retired. That's just crazy.

I don't think Bourque should've been retired, but besides him who else doesn't deserve it? I would really like to know? And who will get their numbers retired besides Hejduk? I see no one until Duchene and Landeskog retire and there is also a good chance that they do not get their numbers retired as well.

Huis Clos*

Up to the rafters he goes, and it'll be a long time until somebody else joins him.

Over 800 points as a member of the Colorado Avalanche. 11 straight seasons of 20+ goals. Rocket Richard trophy winner. 50 goal scorer. 2 time Stanley Cup champion.

Hejduk only won one cup.

member 116861

I still remember in the 02/03 season when he just beat Naslund for the Rocket Richard trophy and Forsberg just beat Naslund for the Art Ross. One of my favourite memories ever.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Words can't describe how upset I am for him that he had to end his career in the Sacco era.

He definitely deserved better. Can't wait to see his number raised to the rafters. I might just possibly buy some tickets and make the 14 hour drive to see it.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Sad to see him go out the way he did but Duke is one of the greatest to play in an Avs sweater. He had some of the softest hands we've seen in Colorado. Calm under pressure and a beautiful shot.

Hejduk is proof of the destructive powers of Sacco...

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Sad he didn't get picked up by someone, but happy at the same time because he'll be retiring playing for only the Avs. #23 100% deserves to go up into the rafters.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I cannot even fathom someone saying Milan Hejduk doesn't deserve to have his number retired. There is absolutely no line of reasoning possible that could support such a statement.

I think Foote deserves it too, and I can see Bourque (I wouldn't have retired it, but I certainly don't have a problem with it; we may not have won that second Cup without him), but Hejduk is WAY higher on the list than either of those two.

I actually would have waited to put Foote up there until after Hejduk. He never left us, he took paycuts to stay here, he sacrificed his international aspirations for the team, and he's the all time leader in franchise games played. He's worn the A and the C. He was one of the only things that lent any shred of credibility to this organization during the Sacco era.

In terms of importance to this franchise, I would rank the players as such:
1. Sakic
2. Roy
3. Forsberg
4. Hejduk
5. Foote

And then other great contributors like Bourque, Tanguay, Drury, Blake, Gusarov, Deadmarsh, Lemieux, etc. I think there should be a secondary honor for guys like that. Not quite a number in the rafters, but maybe a ring of honor or something similar.

Also, Danny Hinote. For no other reason than that Dan Hinote rules.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
I cannot even fathom someone saying Milan Hejduk doesn't deserve to have his number retired. There is absolutely no line of reasoning possible that could support such a statement.

I think Foote deserves it too, and I can see Bourque (I wouldn't have retired it, but I certainly don't have a problem with it; we may not have won that second Cup without him), but Hejduk is WAY higher on the list than either of those two.

I actually would have waited to put Foote up there until after Hejduk. He never left us, he took paycuts to stay here, he sacrificed his international aspirations for the team, and he's the all time leader in franchise games played. He's worn the A and the C. He was one of the only things that lent any shred of credibility to this organization during the Sacco era.

In terms of importance to this franchise, I would rank the players as such:
1. Sakic
2. Roy
3. Forsberg
4. Hejduk
5. Foote

And then other great contributors like Bourque, Tanguay, Drury, Blake, Gusarov, Deadmarsh, Lemieux, etc. I think there should be a secondary honor for guys like that. Not quite a number in the rafters, but maybe a ring of honor or something similar.

Also, Danny Hinote. For no other reason than that Dan Hinote rules.

There is one. The Avalanche Alumni Association. Although guys like Sakic and Roy and Foote and Forsberg are in that as well, it's an honor without having your number retired. Gusarov, Podein, Krupp, Keane, Deadmarsh, Lemieux, Leschyshyn, Ricci, Young, Lefebvre and Kamensky are all in this. I'm sure there's others but it's hard to find any info on this haha. They did say during Foote's rafter ceremony that he was added though, so idk who else.

ChrisNI

Sep 29, 2008
Orillia
In spite of Hejduk´s good mood and atmosophere in his private life, not everything ended like he wants. „It would be ideal to retire after winning the Stanley Cup

I loved Hejduk and really wished he retired at the start of his decline rather than beat a dead horse. It really would be sad if we got to the playoffs and even more so if we won the cup this year without him.

I fully support retiring his number!
He was with us his whole career, gave everything for us, is top 5 of pretty much every record except PIMs and a couple playoff stats and he stuck wit us through the good times and the bad. He was an outstanding example of what I want from the club, someone who isn't an embarrassment outside the rink and gives everything inside the rink!

I don't think Bourque should've been retired

I agree with this, always wondered why his got retired. He came to us because we were pretty much a sure shot to make the cup sort of like the bruins/hawks the last few years. It wasn't guaranteed of course but we would at least go far. If it wasn't for that he wouldn't have come to the Avs. I'm glad he did and it was great to see him go out winning the cup but he didn't give me enough to warrant having his number enshrined forever.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

16-milan-hejduk-dive-celebration-hockey-dive-gifs.gif

Seems just like yesterday that celebration happened.:cry:

Another player I grew retires... glad he didn't join another team but sad it happened like this. Almost an after thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad