Trade: [MIL/SAC] Bogdanovic deal is dead, Bucks lose 2022 2nd

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Apparently he wants to play for the Bucks but wants to field all offers. So basically team X is offering me this, Bucks, now match.

Now I heard he was originally fine with the Bucks but once they got Holiday he wasn't because he went down on the pecking order and less money available for him.

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
And I thought Butty was annoying with his trade wants. Dump both their asses.

At least it means Justin James is staying. He's gonna be an elite bench scorer sooner than later, though I'm sure that will be outside of Sac.

Reactions: punk_o_holic

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Not sure how cap works in NBA but do they even have space to give him more? Do they send another body to Sacramento? Do they have enough money to give him more and sign other players to fill out their roster?

In the NBA its easy to fill out a roster with your a top team, you can give veteran minimums to guys who are ring chasing.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
And I thought Butty was annoying with his trade wants. Dump both their asses.

At least it means Justin James is staying. He's gonna be an elite bench scorer sooner than later, though I'm sure that will be outside of Sac.
DiVincenzo would have been the main piece. After the draft, would the Kings still want him? Although not sure what else the Bucks have to offer. Hawks was also interested. They can offer him a big contract where the Kings won't match but paying Bogdanovic big money seems crazy. They might prefer a sign and trade. Anything of use Hawks could offer?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
DiVincenzo would have been the main piece. After the draft, would the Kings still want him? Although not sure what else the Bucks have to offer. Hawks was also interested. They can offer him a big contract where the Kings won't match but paying Bogdanovic big money seems crazy. They might prefer a sign and trade. Anything of use Hawks could offer?
At this point, they could probably get Bogdan for future picks and an expiring contract or two. Like you said, they filled the wing need with this draft so they can look ahead instead of for immediate needs.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
John Collins :sarcasm:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
bucks waived ilyasova so it'll be interesting to see how this plays out moving forward

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I'm guessing this is why Bogdan suddenly didn't agree and reports came out about there being no deal. Every team tampers but the NBA changed some rules last year and they want to at least give off the perception that it doesn't happen. These two teams and Bogdan's agent had one of the most obvious cases of doing something against the rules.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
This thread title is legendary.

I'm guessing this is why Bogdan suddenly didn't agree and reports came out about there being no deal. Every team tampers but the NBA changed some rules last year and they want to at least give off the perception that it doesn't happen. These two teams and Bogdan's agent had one of the most obvious cases of doing something against the rules.
Nba deals always seems a bit shady compared to other league's, but other than not signing the contract what is abnormal here?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This thread title is legendary.

Nba deals always seems a bit shady compared to other league's, but other than not signing the contract what is abnormal here?

He's a RFA and they agreed to a sign and trade four days before FA is supposed to be open. So you have the Kings allowing the Bucks to talk to their player, the Bucks and Bogdan presumably agreeing to a contract (that's disputed now), and the two teams agreeing on trade compensation involving multiple players. There's a lot going on there and obviously it wasn't going to stay quiet. The usual tampering we see is one team with one player/agent and they quickly announce the deal when FA opens.

Reactions: Quid Pro Clowe

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This doesn't make Milwaukee front office look good

It gets worse:

As I mentioned in an earlier missive (scroll down), the Bucks originally agreed to a two-year, $8 million deal with Pat Connaughton that included a second-year player option. Only one problem: As an Early Bird Rights player, Connaughton wasn’t eligible to receive a second-year player option on his deal.

As a result, the Bucks (almost certainly) would have had to go back to his agent with hat in hand and request a different arrangement. That’s why a new arrangement for Connaughton was reported later this afternoon. This time they ended up paying twice as much money, to do a three-year deal worth $16 million.

Wait, it gets worse. Despite the error, the Bucks didn’t even need to do the second part. They could have signed Connaughton to the original with their midlevel exception. Yes, they had already agreed to a sign D.J. Augustin to a three-year, $21 million deal with their midlevel exception, but this was also unnecessary.

Augustin’s contract, as it turns out, would have fit snugly into the Jrue Holiday trade with New Orleans as a sign-and-trade if they had either A) started him slightly lower at $6.33 million (for a three-year deal worth $19.5 million or B) included two-way Cam Reynolds in a sign-and-trade back as part of the deal.

Of course, the bigger issue is that they shouldn’t have stepped in it in Connaughton’s deal in the first place. This is part of a worrying free agency trend in Milwaukee. Last offseason they missed out on generating a $10 million trade exception from the Malcolm Brogdon sign-and-trade (think that might have been useful this week?) by not distributing George Hill’s guaranteed money slightly differently or using incentives on his or Brook Lopez’s contract. And a week ago, of course, they (or others involved) botched the sign-and-trade with Bogdan Bogdanovic when news of it leaked out inappropriately early.

It seems minor but you can't be making these kind of mistakes when trying to build a contender around Giannis. He might re-sign and the reports have been positive on that front recently but they need to get it together.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It gets worse:

It seems minor but you can't be making these kind of mistakes when trying to build a contender around Giannis. He might re-sign and the reports have been positive on that front recently but they need to get it together.

If I'm him I'm having serious second thoughts about staying because these guys are idiots.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Guess everything was okay until the Bucks started talking to his agent about an extension.

Guarantee the 3rd team that reported this was Atlanta.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad