Mikkola

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
He has a great opportunity with Dunn out for a while.

Mikkola has the talent to be a contributor here, it seems to me. He's willing to hit and take hits without retaliation and going to the penalty box. His skating seems to be very good, effortless like Bouwmeester's was.

What is holding him back, in your view?

Reactions: Ranksu

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Mikkola has the talent to be a contributor here, it seems to me. He's willing to hit and take hits without retaliation and going to the penalty box. His skating seems to be very good, effortless like Bouwmeester's was.

He needs to be better with puck. He gets hemmed in zone too often. While he looks good defending he ends up defending way too much.

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
Needs to add some weight to his frame and improve his skating. He reminds me of a giraffe on ice at times.

He also pinches at the wrong times and finds himself out of position way too often, and it has led to the opposing team taking the puck back the other way and scoring on multiple occasions.

Reactions: Blueston

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
It's pretty clear that Walman has "won" the job, if those two were competing for the same roster spot. Unless the Blues are moving on from one of Krug, Scandella, Dunn and Walman, he's probably an AHL'er next year. He's fortunate that LHD is probably where the Expansion casualty will come, but even then he's the #7 if everyone else is healthy.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
He needs to relax and control his anxiety, which has a lot to do with his decision-making.

He freaks out a little and then can’t handle the puck, so he freaks out more and his anxiety goes through the roof.

I’ll bet you that he is quite hard on himself.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
It's pretty clear that Walman has "won" the job, if those two were competing for the same roster spot. Unless the Blues are moving on from one of Krug, Scandella, Dunn and Walman, he's probably an AHL'er next year. He's fortunate that LHD is probably where the Expansion casualty will come, but even then he's the #7 if everyone else is healthy.
I'd say there's a decent chance Dunn could be gone as the pick in the expansion draft.

And the Blues have injuries every year. #7 definitely gets to play, but I'm not sure that we don't go out and get some kind of replacement if we lose a defenseman in the draft instead of rolling with both walman and mikkola.

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
Not so sure that is true... if I recall, Walman was benched last week and Mikkola played ahead of him. Injuries to Dunn and Krug have necessitated Walman back in the lineup. It's true Walman played ahead of Mikkola a couple weeks ago but I do not see Walman as being truly ahead of Mikkola on the depth chart. Mikkola is younger and could develop better; Walman might be at his ceiling.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Not so sure that is true... if I recall, Walman was benched last week and Mikkola played ahead of him. Injuries to Dunn and Krug have necessitated Walman back in the lineup. It's true Walman played ahead of Mikkola a couple weeks ago but I do not see Walman as being truly ahead of Mikkola on the depth chart. Mikkola is younger and could develop better; Walman might be at his ceiling.
He is 2 months younger. Both turned 25 this year. Likely both will improve slightly with more NHL experience, but not likely either has a peak significantly above where they are now.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021

strength and experience

Reactions: BlueOil

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
I still don't get it.

He has passed my eye test for a few years now.

I like that he pinches in too often. I want a kid throttled back instead of having to push him. Tells me he is confident.

I also like him being chippy. He has a nice edge Parayko could learn from.

Let him play. Let him grow.

I must be missing something...

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

Berube said he wanted Mikkola in because of his size against the Wild's line up.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I still don't get it.

He has passed my eye test for a few years now.

I like that he pinches in too often. I want a kid throttled back instead of having to push him. Tells me he is confident.

I also like him being chippy. He has a nice edge Parayko could learn from.

Let him play. Let him grow.

I must be missing something...

I guess I must be missing something too because I don't see anything very special about Mikkola. He's tied for 2nd lowest +/- on the team despite playing limited sheltered minutes, contributes almost nothing offensively and looks like he'd rather get rid of the puck as quickly as possible. I know he's inexperienced and will likely get better as he plays more, but I think Mikkola's ceiling is "average NHL defenseman" and it's no guarantee he'll reach that level.

I'd like to see him prove me wrong, but I don't get the fascination with Mikkola. If he was 22 or younger, I could see it but he's 25 years old and he can barely crack the lineup even with all the injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad