Mikko Rantanen

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Hey all,

First-time poster, long time lurker. That was one hell of a season to be an Avs fan, can't wait for next year.

I've seen a lot of talk about Tyson Barrie and deservedly so, with his free agency looming, but I wanted to get some discussion going on Mikko Rantanen.

This contract negotiation is going to be interesting. I love Mikko and I think he is only scratching the surface of his talents. His size, edge work, vision, and quick release make him so dangerous.

How does everyone see this contract situation unfolding? I'd love to get him locked up for eight years since he is only getting better. How high would you go? If the Avs could get him anywhere in the 9's that would be awesome, but I wouldn't be devastated if, it's in the 10's.

I still feel like Mikko doesn't get the respect he deserves league-wide, but that will come when he continues to dominate.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I wouldn't want Sakic to give into a 8 x 12 mil deal, I don't think Rantanen has been consistent enough and hasn't been able to drive his line to be worth that.

Anything around 8 x 10-11 i'll be content with, anything under and i'd be ecstatic.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I'm guessing $9.5 mil by 6 cause that'll take him to FA status, isn't a terrible price for us and still has him locked in for 6 more seasons.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I agree with a lot of the above. Do you think Rants gets the biggest payday of the RFA's? Or Marner?

Marner will definitely get more but I'd bet Rantanen does well for himself.

MacKinnon has my favorite quote about this:

“I want guys to get paid what they’re worth,” MacKinnon said. “I’m just here to play hockey. If Mikko makes $20 million, that’s great. I want to win. Mikko’s deal will get done — hopefully we can have him for seven or eight years. I’d like to play with him for my whole career. Mikko is going to get paid what he’s worth. It’s only fair.”

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I ripped on Sakic a lot but I don't think he is as big a pushover as Dubas is. I think we will see a 3 year deal or a 7 year deal. My guess is 7 x 10 million. Sakic won't want to have Mack and Rantanen up at the same time.

I remember reading somewhere that the ask for long term was 8 million before the season, no way that went down so I expect closer to 10 give or take. I know the Evolving Hockey has him at about 10.16 for 8 years.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I'm not a contract numbers guy, but I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Rantaten takes slightly less than market value. He just doesn't strike me as a guy who would go along with an agent playing hardball. I expect when the deal get done most of us will either say it's fair or be slightly surprised (in a good way).

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I'm not a contract numbers guy, but I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Rantaten takes slightly less than market value. He just doesn't strike me as a guy who would go along with an agent playing hardball. I expect when the deal get done most of us will either say it's fair or be slightly surprised (in a good way).

I agree 100%. He is a humble guy from a humble background(Born in same area as my mum and I tell ya, it's humble background haha). I don't expect him to play hardball. I think he likes the team a lot and for Finnish, Denver weather is quite nice, because all the sunlight through the year and proper winters.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I watched some of his goals back from the Calgary series today (suffering from Avs withdrawal already). The amount of power he creates on his shot with no wind up is unreal. I want him for 8 years, at hopefully around 10 -10.5 million.

yeaher

May 3, 2019

The market is going to be set by him and Marner though,10-12.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
It all depends on Marner. If Marner holds out for $11m+ then Rantanen is going to want something similar. I just don't know if the Avs will play that. I could easily see a short term team. Hopefully the Avs can lock him up 8 years for around $10m aav.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad