Mikko Rantanen vs Zach Werenski

Which one would you rather add to your team?

• Total voters

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Which one would you rather add to your team? And to Avs and Jackets fans, pretend that you don't have your own player already.

I love both players and from Avs perspective I'm a little torn. I'd had loved if Avs managed to pick Werenski in the 2015 draft but Rantanen just posted a PPG+ season. Werenski is/will be top pairing LD for a very long time so he'd fill Avs second biggest need current need...

Going with Werenski. Who do you choose? Would also be fun if you stated the team which you're a fan of.

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Wer, both are young so this could go anywhere. But as of today with where they both are at career-wise, #1 D > #1 W.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Which one would you rather add to your team? And to Avs and Jackets fans, pretend that you don't have your own player already.

I love both players and from Avs perspective I'm a little torn. I'd had loved if Avs managed to pick Werenski in the 2015 draft but Rantanen works so well with MacKinnon that I think I have to choose him. Werenski is/will be top pairing LD for a very long time so he'd fill Avs second biggest need current need...

Going with Rants. Who do you choose? Would also be fun if you stated the team which you're a fan of.

Look at the bolded, you contradict yourself. Based on what you said, you'd have to go with Werenski since you wanted him before and still fill your second biggest need (what's your first?)

Reactions: Murzu

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Look at the bolded, you contradict yourself. Based on what you said, you'd have to go with Werenski since you wanted him before and still fill your second biggest need (what's your first?)

That's true. Because of that, I'll vote for Werenski. Should had read my own rules again, how careless of me. I changed the text and vote.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
That's true. Because of that, I'll vote for Werenski. Should had read my own rules again, how careless of me. I changed the text and vote.
Cool, I can only appreciate that kind of honesty! I totally understand why as a Avs fan you could be bias toward Rantanen though, he's an awesome player!

And for my own curiosity, what's your biggest need if not a top pairing D?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Assuming both reach their ultimate upside the value of the positions they play should put Werenski above Rantanen.

That said, with Rantanen already having an 85 point season at just 21 years of age it's kind of on Werenski now to go and prove he's the guy to take between the two as Rantanen has already had his monster breakout season.

Reactions: iSophagus and Murzu

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Werenski just bc D>W

OT but when it’s all said and done I think 2015 draft class will be the GOAT. We’re in. 2018 and so many stars have already emerged

Mcdavid
Eichel
Barzal
Rantanen
Aho
Werenski
Provorov
Boeser
Marner
Connor (not a star yet but 30G rookie year)

Konecny and beauvillier already have 20G seasons
Dunn and hanifan and debrusk have a ton of upside

And then the guys like chabot strome and sprong have a lot of potential

Last edited:

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Cool, I can only appreciate that kind of honesty! I totally understand why as a Avs fan you could be bias toward Rantanen though, he's an awesome player!

And for my own curiosity, what's your biggest need if not a top pairing D?

Well, our secondary scoring stinks. I'd like to say that excellent level 2C is our biggest need. We have a (At least three with at least two guy that are #4-5 to me in Girard and Cole) of top four defensemen, I think Erik Johnson as #1D and we have a lot of D prospects. The "problem" with those prospects is that three of the best of our D prospects are RD - Makar, Timmins and Meloche. We have nice LD players like Zadorov and Girard, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable with our defense going forward if we had Werenski next to EJ.

Reactions: Deam78

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Well, our secondary scoring stinks. I'd like to say that excellent level 2C is our biggest need. We have a (At least three with at least two guy that are #4-5 to me in Girard and Cole) of top four defensemen, I think Erik Johnson as #1D and we have a lot of D prospects. The "problem" with those prospects is that three of the best of our D prospects are RD - Makar, Timmins and Meloche. We have nice LD players like Zadorov and Girard, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable with our defense going forward if we had Werenski next to EJ.
Do you think Jost won't pan out as that good level 2C?

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Do you think Jost won't pan out as that good level 2C?

To be honest, no. He could be okay there but I want more than okay, 2C is very important position. I see him more as a good second line winger in the future.

Reactions: Deam78

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
In a 2015 redraft i have Rantanen at 5 and Werenski at 7. So Rantanen i suppose tho only 21 years old so could change thruout their careers

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I lumped them together in the 2015 redraft thread, in a group I couldn't decide between.

But I checked on Rantanen's numbers with and without Mackinnon, and he still has a lot to prove. He's great in the role he's in, no doubt.

Werenski hasn't put it all together, so he's got plenty to prove as well. I suppose I'm leaning towards him just based on perceived upside.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Werenski destroyed Rantanen here, harder than I expected. 1D > 1W is a legit argument though.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Both are amazing young players and are still getting better. I think ill continue the trend of voting for the defenseman though. Werenski has an amazing sense of everything happening on the ice and its a real treat to watch. Then factor in the fact D men dont really develop like forwards so he is likely still a couple years from realizing his true potential and also he deserves a bit of slack for his point totals as he played most of the year in a shoulder brace and had no slapshot. Even with that he had 16 goals so its very exciting

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I take the franchise winger, Mikko Rantanen. My favorite prospect in 2015 draft. I put him #4 in 2015.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Rantanen is Far from a franchise winger, dude is plain trash defensively and relies on MacKinnon for his offense

Well this was something.
Rants carried his AHL team on his +1 season, was Colorados best goal scorer in his rookie season and with him Mackinnon just had his best season ever.

Werenski destroyed Rantanen here, harder than I expected. 1D > 1W is a legit argument though.

It certainly is, but Werenski isn't that today.

But I would bet he gets there in the near future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->