Lead the team in:

Points 66 (6th in the NHL)
Goals 30 (5th in the NHL)
Plusminus +30 (2nd in the NHL)

:clap::clap::clap:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Strange as it is to say, I still feel like Mikko has another level to reach. And that's not me trying diminish his accomplishments this season. It was an awesome season for him by any measure.
While he's obviously been a good player, I've not necessarily been his biggest supporter, although that has changed dramatically this season. I'm not sure if he's got another level to reach but keeping these scoring paces up over this contract combined with a cup or two and he, MacK and Makar are the Sakic, Forsberg, and Foote for a new generation. They have all pretty much shown the the ability in flashes it's about actually winning a few cups and then career longevity with this quality of play. No easy task to be sure, but I'm gaining faith by the moment with some of these guys growth and maturity and importantly hunger for excellence.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
While he's obviously been a good player, I've not necessarily been his biggest supporter, although that has changed dramatically this season. I'm not sure if he's got another level to reach but keeping these scoring paces up over this contract combined with a cup or two and he, MacK and Makar are the Sakic, Forsberg, and Foote for a new generation. They have all pretty much shown the the ability in flashes it's about actually winning a few cups and then career longevity with this quality of play. No easy task to be sure, but I'm gaining faith by the moment with some of these guys growth and maturity and importantly hunger for excellence.

My thinking is that there are two areas where he could improve and thus reach another level. One would be his defensive ability, which this season has gone up, but could still be better. Second would be his ability/willing to control the puck more than he does now. I think playing with Landeskog hasn't forced him to develop the first one, and playing with MacKinnon the second. So I don't really see him taking the next step unless/until he plays consistently on another line where he's the one driving the play and is expected to play well defensively.

I think he has the ability to be one of the best players in the league and in conversations about who is better between him and MacKinnon.

Reactions: avsfan09

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
Rantanen has been driving the play whenever MacK has not been around. It would be worth a try to have him center 2nd line. He has all the attributes to be a dominant big centerman. His Fo% this year, for example, while nothing special, is still better than what MacKinnon has.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Rantanen has been driving the play whenever MacK has not been around. It would be worth a try to have him center 2nd line. He has all the attributes to be a dominant big centerman. His Fo% this year, for example, while nothing special, is still better than what MacKinnon has.

Faceoffs are irrelevant. He's really just not a centerman. He generates offence from his strength along the boards and behind the net.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Faceoffs are irrelevant. He's really just not a centerman. He generates offence from his strength along the boards and behind the net.
He generates that way because he plays wing though he very well could be capable of creating down the middle. His skating has improved a ton and I think he was good there this season.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
He generates that way because he plays wing though he very well could be capable of creating down the middle. His skating has improved a ton and I think he was good there this season.
Has it really? I'm asking because I still noticing him falling easily.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Strange as it is to say, I still feel like Mikko has another level to reach. And that's not me trying diminish his accomplishments this season. It was an awesome season for him by any measure.

Mikko is capable of being a top 2-5 player in this league, I'm convinced of that. He has all the tools. The skill, the smarts, the size, the work ethic, the leadership, and he can make big plays in big moments.

I too feel he has even another gear left in him. For a modern day power forward like him, the best place for him to shine is the playoffs. He could have a Conn Smyth type playoffs if he plays to his potential, and they end up winning.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

I think it's a good idea. Being a center might be what he needs to push him to that next level. As for his skating, I'm not worried because we could put someone like Bura, Nuke or Newhook beside him, who could carry the puck into the zone if needed. Imagine if we have MacKinnon and Rantanen dominating the other team one after the other? We've be pretty hard to stop.

Ideally though, if we move him to center, I'd want to acquire/find a good, right-shooting winger who can win faceoffs and play well defensively to play with him - just like we have Landy to play with MacKinnon.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
More than anything I want them to have a secondary setup they play often enough they can feel comfortable going to in order to give them a different look. A way for them to switch the game plan and force the other team to adapt.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Do they still call the +/- trophy the Bud Light Award?

Mikko can accept it while he's falling over and blame it on being drunk.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
How he didn't get a hat trick I will never know. Not his best game when talking about converting.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
That miss with an open goal at 1-0 reminded me a lot of the Tuch miss in the last Vegas game. Thankfully Rantanen's miss didn't end up being a turning point like Tuch's miss.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
That miss with an open goal at 1-0 reminded me a lot of the Tuch miss in the last Vegas game. Thankfully Rantanen's miss didn't end up being a turning point like Tuch's miss.
Yeah if Tuch scores on that play we most likely lose that game.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
The emerge of another super Finn, for me Rantanen is already the best Finn since Selanne.

For me:
1. Kurri
2. Selänne
3. Rantanten (but Rantanens career is far from over yet!)

I assume some a lot of Finnish fans rank Selänne on top but for me Kurri was even better.

OldTomMorris

Nov 1, 2018
Tampere
The emerge of another super Finn, for me Rantanen is already the best Finn since Selanne.

For me:
1. Kurri
2. Selänne
3. Rantanten (but Rantanens career is far from over yet!)

I assume some a lot of Finnish fans rank Selänne on top but for me Kurri was even better.

As for today, I would put Mikko or Saku Koivu on the 3rd spot, then the upcoming alreade super stars. #4 Barkov (C) #5 Rantanen

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Peak Jere Lehtinen has to be up there, same as Essa. They weren't as talented offensively, but Jere was one of the best defensive wingers to play the game and then scored 30 goals per season for a team that stifled offensive production from both their own players and opponents and Esa was, well Essa, crazy, insane, offensively gifted and unbelievable defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad