Mikko Rantanen Part IV - Baby Got Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Well I think it is safe to say that a 4 year term is the most unlikely outcome don't you think?

The most unlikely outcome, sure. Not necessarily the more unlikely offer from Rantanen's camp. When I hear a rumored cap number without any term attached, and people are getting outraged that the deal was accepted by one side or the other, I assume either that term rather than cap number was the reason it was rejected, or that the cap number is inaccurate.

Reactions: avsfan09

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
The most unlikely outcome, sure. Not necessarily the more unlikely offer from Rantanen's camp. When I hear a rumored cap number without any term attached, and people are getting outraged that the deal was accepted by one side or the other, I assume either that term rather than cap number was the reason it was rejected, or that the cap number is inaccurate.
We can assume many things but 4 year deal is not among them.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This ^ and Aho.is more valuable because well... hes a # 1 center. People don't seem to realise how good Aho is.

Sakic's offers of 8.4 and 8.7 are more than fair and I don't see him budging so man up and sign now Mikko.

Aho contract is already a steal, no wonder fans love to use him as a comp.

The best one from the market is Marner.
Same draft, strong Cv's, same position, Franchise talents.

Aho money with longer term isn't gonna work.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Aho contract is already a steal, no wonder fans love to use him as a comp.

The best one from the market is Marner.
Same draft, strong Cv's, same position, Franchise talents.

Aho money with longer term isn't gonna work.

Aho is a comp just like Marner is a comp. you can’t throw out Aho’s deal any more than you can throw out Marner’s. In the end, they’re going to need to meet somewhere in the middle. Sakic isn’t giving $11x6, nor should he.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I say it how it is and call management cheap, have a different opinion than the rest of you and I get personally attacked on these boards..these boards are actually a joke.

The fact that we probably won’t be starting the year without Rantanen is EMBARRASSING after the season we just had. Especially if it’s over 500k-1m. Seriously giving an extra 5m in total to our top stars isn’t going to bankrupt us.

Yeah, there's some folks around here who are very insecure about this franchise and get upset when you don't 'love the team' hard enough...

Can't let it get to you and just need to laugh off the 'root for someone else' silliness; homers gunna homer & all that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Media ripped Sakic for holding on Duchene for too long too and we all know how it turned out. Be patient season didnt start yet and Mikko isnt the only unsigned rfa left

I'd rather re-sign Mikko than hope Dorion bails us out again...
Aho is a comp just like Marner is a comp. you can’t throw out Aho’s deal any more than you can throw out Marner’s. In the end, they’re going to need to meet somewhere in the middle. Sakic isn’t giving $11x6, nor should he.

To use Aho as a comp people would need to stop ignoring that Aho signed for a year less than Marner.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
No it doesn’t happen to any team in the league. Teams don’t just let their second best players sit over 1m multiple times in less than a decade.

I love how people are ignoring my points, but go straight to the point where I call this embarrassing and then get personally attacked for having a different opinion than the rest of the boards. Reminds me of the ror situation a lot. Get destroyed on these boards for wanting to pay him. Look who was right then

I am responding critically to what you're saying, not criticizing you as a person. Not a personal attack. Point of my first post was that the "sky is falling" tone that you're taking is undermining every point you want to make.

Mikko does need to be signed, but you see cheapness where I see prudence. The 1mil seemed arbitrary with Radar but this is different. Problem is, I just don't think the Avs are going to win in a holdout. He will miss a couple games and still get way more than 8.5-9 imo. It's gonna be stupid and avoidable, but not some horrible, shameful dark moment that should inspire shame in Avs fans.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

No he shouldn't, but he shouldn't either be offering 8.7x8(if true).

If he really doesn't go further than that then good job with messing up everything he's build.

I'd look at something like 9.5Mx6. Add a million for extra year and better stats.

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

If he really doesn't go further than that then good job with messing up everything he's build.

I'd look at something like 9.5Mx6. Add a million for extra year and better stats.

I can’t imagine he’s seriously offering that amount over 8 years as that’s below all the comps and totally unrealistic. But I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he wasn’t even offering Marner’s $10.9 AAV over 8 years which I’m sure isn’t remotely appetizing to Rantanen’s camp.

And yeah, I’d think under $10 for 6 years is pretty reasonable. I just wish they’d do it now rather than November after so much important hockey has been played. A slight overpay is far better than flushing a season down the toilet.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

If he never at least checked to see if Rantanen would take a team-friendly deal (like 8.7 x 8) then Sakic wouldn't be doing his job. If that's his final offer then there's a problem.

Overall I think people need to stop treating the numbers leaked to the press as not only gospel truth but the only numbers they've discussed.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If he never at least checked to see if Rantanen would take a team-friendly deal (like 8.7 x 8) then Sakic wouldn't be doing his job. If that's his final offer then there's a problem.

Overall I think people need to stop treating the numbers leaked to the press as not only gospel truth but the only numbers they've discussed.

You don't need to wait until the start of camp to check if Mikko will take a massive discount...

Reactions: flyfysher

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I mean it's September and Rants is missing pre season.

For April that's fine, for September laughable.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

9.5 is where I see it coming in as well. It’s fair for both sides and like you say six years seems fair as well imo.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Do we know for a fact that this offer was made in September?

Does that matter? Mikko still isn't signed & the FO thought that leaking those #s to Clark was wise; whether they came from their current offers or their opening salvo last summer.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What’s a massive discount to you?

Less than 9M over greater than 6 years, would be a massive discount from Mikko. The #s the FO leaked to Clark are awfully close to the Drae contract, without much consideration for inflation (or market shifts) nor for Mikko's superior resume at the time of signing.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You also don't need to wait till somebody else signed to start negotiating which is pretty much what Mikko's camp did. At least it looks that way.

and Joe didn't? :laugh:

The first thing we heard him say about this negotiation at the start fo the summer was that he was waiting for some comparables to be established.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
and Joe didn't? :laugh:

The first thing we heard him say about this negotiation at the start fo the summer was that he was waiting for some comparables to sign.
Sure he did. He kind of had to because Mikko's camp refused to talk contract last offseason. They wanted to wait ... and wait ... and wait.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Less than 9M over greater than 6 years, would be a massive discount from Mikko. The #s the FO leaked to Clark are awfully close to the Drae contract, without any consideration for the inflation (or market shifts) nor Mikko's superior resume (at the time of signing).
Okay but we never have the full story and I’m always sceptical about rumours like that. To me a good deal is 6 years in the 9 million range.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Does that matter? Mikko still isn't signed & the FO thought that leaking those #s to Clark was wise; whether they came from their current offers or their opening salvo last summer.

Did Clark say the front office intentionally gave him those numbers? I must have missed that in his articles.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sure he did. He kind of had to because Mikko's camp refused to talk contract last offseason. They wanted to wait ... and wait ... and wait.

If you wanna play that game I can say that they only agreed to wait because Joe refused to negotiate and instead wanted to wait...and wait...and wait; hoping that eventually, public pressure would mount on Mikko the way it did Mitch because Joe didn't mind Mikko sitting out given that he had no ambitions of winning this year anyway :dunno:

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
One of the neat things about this whole situation is it really reveals everyone's biases when it comes to the team. A lot of people in this thread are taking what little facts we have and fitting them into their pre-existing narrative about the team. I'm likely included in that too because I'm human like the rest of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad