Mikko Rantanen did not disappoint as the Colorado Avalanche’s top prospect this seaso

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
julien_nantel_rouyn_noranda_112115.jpg
Photo: 2014 7th-rounder Julien Nantel is part of a trio of Colorado Avalanche prospects seeking a QMJHL title with Rouyn-Noranda, starting tonight (courtesy of Minas Panagiotakis/Getty Images)

</p>The Colorado Avalanche missed the playoffs for the second season in a row in Patrick Roy’s third season behind the bench. Just like last year, it was their slow start that hurt them down the stretch as they missed the final wild card spot by a mere few points. There are obvious weaknesses in their NHL lineup but they have several prospects who could play integral roles in the 2016-17 season.

Hardest Worker: Troy Bourke, C, San Antonio Rampage (AHL)

Bourke’s second full season of professional hockey did not go as well as he expected but it was more indicative of his coach than himself.… read more

The post Mikko Rantanen did not disappoint as the Colorado Avalanche’s top prospect this season appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Like what I heard about Bourke. He is exactly the kind of player I want down in San Antonio, a guy that is willing to work his butt off for an opportunity and is willing to ride the bus at the same time until he gets a shot. He might never get a shot on the Avs, but his hard work won't go unnoticed by the scouts that attend AHL games, and someone will give him a shot at some point.

I still maintain that Nantel will eventually be a solid 3rd/4th liner for the Avs in the future. You can't teach high end skating. You can teach people to be better skaters. But the truly high end skaters are just naturals. On top of that he plays a 200ft game. This was a great 7th round pickup.

As for the rest of the players listed it's pretty much how I would have called it. Obviously Rantanen was the best all around prospect in the system. Compher had a great season and improved his stock greatly. Meloche was great and was really a breakout player. Got to agree with Martinsen being the overachiever and Gormley for sure being the underachiever. I knew Greer had a solid shot but that is saying something if you think it was the best in the system, that's good to hear.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Nice overview :D

Just one minor quibble, it's Francis Perron who leads RN in scoring. Timo got kicked out of two games and suspended twice and hasn't done much scoring since the first series.

I'd say Beaudin was the breakout player, not sure many people saw him score 82 points this year. Add in the playoffs, he's over 100 now. But as far as the article is constructed, where only one can be named in each spot, I'm glad both Meloche and Beaudin got love so I like how it turned out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd say Beaudin was the breakout player, not sure many people saw him score 82 points this year. Add in the playoffs, he's over 100 now. But as far as the article is constructed, where only one can be named in each spot, I'm glad both Meloche and Beaudin got love so I like how it turned out.

Hey! I was calling for him to have a big year! ;)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Beaudin is turning into a really nice pick for us.

Actually, the 2015 draft in general looks quite good so far IMO. All 4 of Rantanen, Meloche, Greer, and Beaudin had really good seasons and seem to be trending in the right direction.

The news about Mironov extending in the KHL til 2018 isn't great but hopefully he has an out clause after next season, as I think he has some nice NHL potential as well. Boikov is pretty much the same thing, with rumors about the KHL having interest in him you hope the Avs can hurry up and sign him as well, as he appeared to have a solid year.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Interesting comments by Rantanen in the Finnish sports media that he does not have a tailored training and physio programme by the organization but has individualized them on his own. I have no doubt that the media is distorting his comments (which were actually rather mild and not complaining or criticizing at all), but the issue still stands - I know that there are several franchises that really will go out of their way to develop their prospects, but then again there also will be more "old school" organizations that don't go for it. A bit of a surprise that Colorado should be in the latter camp.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Interesting comments by Rantanen in the Finnish sports media that he does not have a tailored training and physio programme by the organization but has individualized them on his own. I have no doubt that the media is distorting his comments (which were actually rather mild and not complaining or criticizing at all), but the issue still stands - I know that there are several franchises that really will go out of their way to develop their prospects, but then again there also will be more "old school" organizations that don't go for it. A bit of a surprise that Colorado should be in the latter camp.

This is not surprising to Avs fans, our AHL affiliates have been treated like the red headed step-child since the day Avs moved o Denver. There's been a number of players saying some pretty unflattering stuff about our AHL team, there has been an exodus down there, and the coach was just sacked. It's a mess really, and all of this makes what Mikko has done even more impressive.

Beaudin is turning into a really nice pick for us.

Actually, the 2015 draft in general looks quite good so far IMO. All 4 of Rantanen, Meloche, Greer, and Beaudin had really good seasons and seem to be trending in the right direction.

The news about Mironov extending in the KHL til 2018 isn't great but hopefully he has an out clause after next season, as I think he has some nice NHL potential as well. Boikov is pretty much the same thing, with rumors about the KHL having interest in him you hope the Avs can hurry up and sign him as well, as he appeared to have a solid year.

There are no NHL out clauses in the KHL, if Mironov wants out he'll have to buy out his contract and I wouldn't hold my breath for that one.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
This is not surprising to Avs fans, our AHL affiliates have been treated like the red headed step-child since the day Avs moved o Denver. There's been a number of players saying some pretty unflattering stuff about our AHL team, there has been an exodus down there, and the coach was just sacked. It's a mess really, and all of this makes what Mikko has done even more impressive.

Well, it's interesting how differently the various franchises take this issue - I would think it's a no-brainer to go for customized development of your top talents as that's the way these days for top athletes: physiologies, personalities, individual responses vary, so you have to really customize. Anyway, Rantanen realizes this (and it is after all the lean years the received wisdom in Finland too) and has done it on his own.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Is he talking about right now, during the off-season?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Nice overview :D

Just one minor quibble, it's Francis Perron who leads RN in scoring. Timo got kicked out of two games and suspended twice and hasn't done much scoring since the first series.

The article said that Beaudin was second, ahead of Meier, which was true then though it is no longer the case. We strive for accuracy here.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Did well at NHL levels 0 goals, 0 assist, -7 in those 9 games. I'll hold off my judgement on him until he plays an extended period in the NHL. His first stint - he struggled - badly.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Did well at NHL levels 0 goals, 0 assist, -7 in those 9 games. I'll hold off my judgement on him until he plays an extended period in the NHL. His first stint - he struggled - badly.

You mean the time he played with Rendulic or the time he was centering the 4th line? He was fine and hardly had a chance to show what he could do at all, he even made things happen on that 4th line. There's a lot more to it than stats.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
You mean the time he played with Rendulic or the time he was centering the 4th line? He was fine and hardly had a chance to show what he could do at all, he even made things happen on that 4th line. There's a lot more to it than stats.

Don't want to derail a Rantanen thread here, but at the risk of doing so, I hope they don't ruin Compher in the same way. Not saying Rantanen is ruined by any means - but he needs to be with top players if they expect him to be a top player.

Lumping him with plodders won't help develop his appropriate skills imo. I wonder how Roy / Sakic see Compher and Rantanen.

Honestly, I think our top 6 will be Landy, Duchene, Mackinnon, Soderberg, Grigorenko & Rantanen, leaving the bottom six for Comeau, Mitchell, Iginla, Mcleod, Compher & Martinsen - and that is a set of forwards that is going to get completely dominated in this league.

Watching these teams in the P/O's have just been showing what divide there is between the good teams, and us.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Comher is the type of player that can fit on any line and in any forward spot. His tenacity alone would be a welcome addition.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand

His two most common linemates 5v5 (forwards) were Jarome Iginla (40.7%) and Matt Duchene (36.3%). Holden and Barrie were the most likely D pairing while he was on the ice. Rendulic only played 3 games, and they were together (with Soderberg) for all of those 3, but in total, Rendulic (22.8%) was 6th of the forwards, with Soderberg (26.4%), Skille (30.5%) and McLeod (27.0%) ahead of him. And his 5v5 CF% was bad...37.2%, only ahead of Everberg at 36.6%...which means it was worse than all his linemates, regardless of which line he happened to be on. I know that carrying Iggy ain't the most fun, but he played over a third of his time with Duchene....they were giving him a chance...roughly 3 games 4th line, 3 games 3rd line, and 3 games top6. He did nothing with it, yet. Next year.

For simple comparison, Agozzino also played 9 games, totalled 6 less minutes, had 2 assists, was only -1, was mid-team for 5v5 CF% @ 44.7% (instead of actually ) and did always play with 4th liners (McLeod and Skille are the only F's in his top 10, aside from Wagner in 9th at 18.3%).

You are right, there is more to it than stats. And I thought he looked promising. But I also thought he looked green. He was weak on the puck, was nervous and tentative, and had horrible balance somehow. He is in this gray area where he is too good for the AHL, but not ready for the NHL. Hopefully he has a good off-season, builds some muscle and some confidence, and plays to his ability next year, with the Avs. He should not be with SAR next year, and he should not be a 4th line plug. But a different kind of 4th line of Compher, Rantanen and Grigorenko would not be that bad. Feed them plenty of sheltered minutes, let them grow into a third scoring line. Assuming there is a winger signed for Duchene...otherwise, who knows.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I didn't forget how it went. I know the first 3 games he was with Soderberg and Rendulic on the line that never got out of the D zone and singlehandedly lost the Boston game. The second three he played with Duchene and Iginla, yes I know. This was also the time Duchene couldn't produce anything resembling offense. Two of those games were the only games he got over 10 minutes TOI so yeah I'd expect that it would say he played the most with them. Then we know his return he was on the 4th line. He had a total of 80 minutes of ice time in his 9 games, there just is nothing to glean from that. I know there's this undercurrent that's not quite said about how maybe he's just "AHL good". I know he still has to do it and prove it in the NHL but he did not have a chance already. He should not be on the 4th line, neither should Grigo. They will do nothing there, they should be at least on the 3rd line. We will not have 9 forwards on the roster better than those two.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
When I say a different kind of 4th line, I am talking the kind of line like Datsyuk and Zetterberg started on. Heck, make it Compher, Rantanen and Iggy to make it a legit copy of the Two Kids and and Old Goat line. As long as they give them the minutes, and shelter them a bit, I don't see a problem with it.

Making Rantanen play with McLeod full time, that is an issue. And really, there is likely no way to make a logical lineup next season with at least one of JT or Mikko in the top 6...and I think Mikko fits there better.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
When I say a different kind of 4th line, I am talking the kind of line like Datsyuk and Zetterberg started on. Heck, make it Compher, Rantanen and Iggy to make it a legit copy of the Two Kids and and Old Goat line. As long as they give them the minutes, and shelter them a bit, I don't see a problem with it.

Making Rantanen play with McLeod full time, that is an issue. And really, there is likely no way to make a logical lineup next season with at least one of JT or Mikko in the top 6...and I think Mikko fits there better.

Much better fourth line, but really weakens the rest of the lines due to lack of depth, quality & actual NHL caliber players:-

Landeskog - Duchene - ?
Comeau - Mackinnon - ?
Mcleod - Soderberg - ?
Compher - Rantanen - Iginla

Then we have Mitchell, Grigorenko & Martinsen to fill those three other spots.

Completely agree with everything you say, but boy, that looks like a garbage team. Which two of those would be the top two right wingers?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $40.00