Mikko Lehtonen is Back! 1 year deal

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Glad to have Lehtonen back.

He's not an RD solution but I'm guessing they're planning on having a LHD slide over to the right side. Alison suggested that they would give Bean a shot next to Werenski, which is surprising based on what Canes fans have said about his defensive ability. But if that is what they do then we might see:

Werenski - Bean
Gavrikov - Boqvist
Lehto / Kukan / Peeke

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Glad he is back.. we have a lot of puck moving dmen though the team is a little soft in makeup.. going to suit up Boll or Shelly?

Apparently the kids are going to have to get beaten up before the FO gets serious about adding a tough guy.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Barring any other trades or pickups I think the D lineup will look something like

Werenski-Boqvist
Gavrikov-Bean
Lehtonen-Kukan
Harrington, Carlsson

Peeke and Bayruther to Cleveland. Could also see Carlsson traded at camp. Peeke especially needs a lot of minutes at the start of the year, and if he plays well enough can be promoted to the main club quickly.

Only one RHD, and although I do think Boqvist would be a perfect partner with Gavrikov, I don’t think anyone else (other than Gavrikov) could handle top pairing minutes. So a bit of a baptism by fire.

Not sure if bean can play RD, but it could allow him to open up his offensive game playing with Gavrikov.

Third pair could rotate depending on who’s playing well.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Barring any other trades or pickups I think the D lineup will look something like

Werenski-Boqvist
Gavrikov-Bean
Lehtonen-Kukan
Harrington, Carlsson

Peeke and Bayruther to Cleveland. Could also see Carlsson traded at camp. Peeke especially needs a lot of minutes at the start of the year, and if he plays well enough can be promoted to the main club quickly.

Only one RHD, and although I do think Boqvist would be a perfect partner with Gavrikov, I don’t think anyone else (other than Gavrikov) could handle top pairing minutes. So a bit of a baptism by fire.

Not sure if bean can play RD, but it could allow him to open up his offensive game playing with Gavrikov.

Third pair could rotate depending on who’s playing well.

That sounds reasonable.

I haven't watched Boqvist or Bean so I can't say much about it. Both players are characterized as weak defensively at this stage, but it would help to know in what ways each of them struggle.

- do they get outmuscled in their zone?
- do they get caught up ice?
- do they struggle to handle the rush?
- do they make bad passes?

Depending on where specifically they are weak, that might determine which of Werenski or Gavrikov they should saddle up with.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Only one RD sounds problematic if the current in vogue theory of having balanced pairs is really important.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Werenski, xxx/Lehtonen
Gavrikov, Boqvist
Bean, Lehtonen/Carlsson

Lehtonen has very good skating, work with the puck, passing, it`s important thet the first pass too, he`s quite good in defense. What`s happen Carlsson I still believe him. If he doesn`t show himself I prefer to get a new d-man instead of Kukan. Harrington - 7-8 d-man.
Boqvist with his defense... better with Gavrikov. I believe he`ll be better but now he isn`t ... ehm... ideal.

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Both Peeke and Carlsson need to take a step this season. I'm really questioning our player development. We appear to draft well, they show flashes when they first play here, and then they fizzle out once the league figures out how to play against them.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I really like this signing. Zero risk on a guy that was the top defenseman chase heading into last season. As there weren't normal camps and the season was a mess I'm hoping he's the surprise this year. Certainly highly touted and thought to be top 4 capable but would need to adjust. I think he'll have the opportunity this year and has much higher upside than Harrington, Kukan, Carlson... We didn't see good defensive play as a team last year and transitions were brutal. If Werenski, Gavrikov and Lehtonen all play up to expectation that's a pretty good option on LHD.

If he doesn't work out, we have others that can certainly step in and the cost impact is minimal. I do expect a bottom pair guy to be moved in camp for a mid to late round pick.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->