Player Discussion Mikko Koskinen

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I'd be waiting for quite some time before extending him. He is playing lights out right now for sure, but he VERY LIKELY won't keep this level of play up. If he did, he'd be a Vezina candidate this year. Let the season play out, and see what he is in the off-season.

If you risk waiting to re-sign him.. you also take the risk of losing him to another team in the offseason or maybe even having to pay him more if he continues to be stellar all year long.. or have to get into a bidding war with other teams

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
If you risk waiting to re-sign him.. you also take the risk of losing him to another team in the offseason or maybe even having to pay him more if he continues to be stellar all year long.

Yup, the attitude is there, the confidence is there, and hes a 6-7 goalie. In the modern era if you are giant enough and don't suck too badly, most of the time you are a good goalie. Because hes so big and covers so much net, he probably suffered less than the other goalies on the equipment downsizing. At worst hes going to be a top quality back up. There is nothing in his game to indicate that hes not a solid NHL goalie, the sample size is large enough in my opinion to at least confidently say that even being Average on the Oilers will be better than what they usually have to deal with in net.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If you risk waiting to re-sign him.. you also take the risk of losing him to another team in the offseason or maybe even having to pay him more if he continues to be stellar all year long.. or have to get into a bidding war with other teams

It all comes down to the ask. If he’ll take say 2 years @3.5, sure. Sign him. If he wants 5 years @6.0, then wait it out. Right now, he’s 3rd in NHL SV% (.002 back of 1st). If he wants to be paid for the level he’s currently playing at, you need more proof.

Reactions: Da McBomb

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
You can see why Hitch says he's a popular teammate and guys want to play for him. Guy battles so hard in net. I can never help but appreciate watching him scramble in net, never quitting on plays. Things going his way or not, you want to play for a guy that you know is doing absolutely everything in his power to try to shut the door. Talbot is starting to get that back too. It must be beneficial for Talbot to practice with a guy that plays that way.

As a goalie myself... this is a HUGE aspect of goaltending that is easy to forget when you are down in the dumps. Sometimes when you are caught out of position, the odds of making that save are so, so low... but if you keep making that final push, you just never know. You can surprise yourself with a miracle save, or force the shooter to double clutch or miss the net.

All of our starters in the past few years (from Scrivens onward) have had that "never quit" in their game on arrival. And all of them have lost it over time spent backstopping this team. You say it is contagious from the goalie out... and that's true. But the rot of futility is also contagious... and when poor effort takes hold, it is only so long before it affects the goalie too.

To me that's the best part about Hitchcock hockey... is that there will be honesty in both directions with respect to how any ones play affects their teammates. I'm a firm believer in that good team play reinforces itself and for too many years guys were taking shortcuts.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
To me that's the best part about Hitchcock hockey... is that there will be honesty in both directions with respect to how any ones play affects their teammates. I'm a firm believer in that good team play reinforces itself and for too many years guys were taking shortcuts.

Couldn’t agree more. It’s why losing Matty Hendricks hurt us. He was basically done as a player, but his leave everything out there every time you step on the ice attitude had a big impact on the way our team played.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
It all comes down to the ask. If he’ll take say 2 years @3.5, sure. Sign him. If he wants 5 years @6.0, then wait it out. Right now, he’s 3rd in NHL SV% (.002 back of 1st). If he wants to be paid for the level he’s currently playing at, you need more proof.

I think if he keeps decent numbers, and I think he can as he is no rookie, he will go for a team that has possibility to be playoff/ semi contender with him.

But can Oilers be that in next few years?
Can Oilers get scoring wingers and good defenders?

I bet Koskinen and his agent will look teams profile more than money. Koskinen has made some nice dollars in SKA and he is not that young that he can wait for ever.

Carolina? Florida? Buffalo?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I think if he keeps decent numbers, and I think he can as he is no rookie, he will go for a team that has possibility to be playoff/ semi contender with him.

But can Oilers be that in next few years?
Can Oilers get scoring wingers and good defenders?

I bet Koskinen and his agent will look teams profile more than money. Koskinen has made some nice dollars in SKA and he is not that young that he can wait for ever.

Carolina? Florida? Buffalo?

I’m not sure why we’d need to get dmen. Maybe flip a guy more a more offensive dman if we don’t feel like Bouchard is ready. Our team needs some depth wingers, and we’re in better shape than any of those teams. And we should have some cap space this summer to try and fix that.

I doubt Koskinen would want to go to a different team so soon after he chose us

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
I’m not sure why we’d need to get dmen. Maybe flip a guy more a more offensive dman if we don’t feel like Bouchard is ready. Our team needs some depth wingers, and we’re in better shape than any of those teams. And we should have some cap space this summer to try and fix that.

I doubt Koskinen would want to go to a different team so soon after he chose us
Ok.
I personally would like to have a bit better defence. I just dont see Klefblom as top pairing man. He is ok, even good but I think he would be better in a smaller role.

Team also needs scoring wingers if Rattie, Pulju and Yamamoto stay as depth wingers.
Yeah latter two are promising but in Koskinen's eyes is that enough?

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
It's funny because he's the polar opposite of Pulju. Pulju looks like a golden retriever while Koskinen looks like someone drove over his golden retriever several times.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Ok.
I personally would like to have a bit better defence. I just dont see Klefblom as top pairing man. He is ok, even good but I think he would be better in a smaller role.

Team also needs scoring wingers if Rattie, Pulju and Yamamoto stay as depth wingers.
Yeah latter two are promising but in Koskinen's eyes is that enough?
Klefbom this year has been a lot better than “ok” or “good”

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
As a goalie myself... this is a HUGE aspect of goaltending that is easy to forget when you are down in the dumps. Sometimes when you are caught out of position, the odds of making that save are so, so low... but if you keep making that final push, you just never know. You can surprise yourself with a miracle save, or force the shooter to double clutch or miss the net.

All of our starters in the past few years (from Scrivens onward) have had that "never quit" in their game on arrival. And all of them have lost it over time spent backstopping this team. You say it is contagious from the goalie out... and that's true. But the rot of futility is also contagious... and when poor effort takes hold, it is only so long before it affects the goalie too.

These posts are wonderful, hope they are being read. The bolded I see as well as a particular problem that has shaped here.

The trouble, as always, is that the team impacts the goalie immensely, people underestimate that side of it. To that end, Talbot is impacted, but resiient. I continue to think Talbot has considerable strength in adversity. Koski will need that as well.

As many have said hopefully we have two capable goalies now.

I've stated this before but Koski is largely not NHL scouted yet. You only know how he will endure when teams come in with reports on his tendencies and adjust accordingly. The NHL, compared to other pro sports tends to be pretty bad at that. Scouting of opponents often doesn't take shape fully until a year after. Which is one reason why a lot of clubs struggle the year after having some brief success. other teams obviously break down that success and look for ways to counter it. Of course happened with the Oilers last season and opponents playing us better.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I do love the answer when asked ;

I get the feeling you don't like talking about yourself too much.

Koski; Nah, its not my thing.

Guy has the right answers and the focus on wins.

Funny as well when asked if Talbot and him joke around "yeah we do", snikes and doesn't say anything more.

This guy is mature, of course commensurate with his age, I like his serious nature. People have commented on his calm demeanor.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I've stated this before but Koski is largely not NHL scouted yet. You only know how he will endure when teams come in with reports on his tendencies and adjust accordingly. The NHL, compared to other pro sports tends to be pretty bad at that. Scouting of opponents often doesn't take shape fully until a year after. Which is one reason why a lot of clubs struggle the year after having some brief success. other teams obviously break down that success and look for ways to counter it. Of course happened with the Oilers last season and opponents playing us better.
I agree with this entirely, Drivesaitl. In fact, I'd argue it's why Talbot regressed so badly last season after his stellar career year in 2016-17.

The Anaheim Ducks exposed his glove side weakness in the playoffs that Spring and showed the rest of the league that it's easy to beat him high since he has a propensity to get down into his butterfly early. He routinely got victimized there last season and didn't come close to being able to adjust.

I'd argue that so far in a limited sample size, it's impossible whether or not to know if Kos has similar areas of his game that can be exploited. What we have seen from him so far though is a resilient demeanor in between the pipes and the ability to consistently make game changing saves, even if he is out of position. He has a remarkable ability to track the puck and the play. Exceptional puck handler to in comparison to Cam, in my opinion.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I'd be waiting for quite some time before extending him. He is playing lights out right now for sure, but he VERY LIKELY won't keep this level of play up. If he did, he'd be a Vezina candidate this year. Let the season play out, and see what he is in the off-season.

Yeah, theres simply little reason to do it now. If it continues to look promising do a deal when you need to, not now. Still 13 games people, not a lot to go on. Flames just spent a complete game firing shots at this pads. Lets see how he does against opponents roofing it or just getting it over the pads. As good as he's looked the opposition finish in some games has been bad.

Koski got a shutot in first dallas game but the same Stars made adjustments in 2nd game and got to Koski. Better finishing.

Chicago game, wouldn't put a lot of stock into it. Koski got a shutout, Talbs let in 1 goal in rematch. hawks are deadthings.

Koski looks great but no reason not to see more before contractual thoughts.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yeah, theres simply little reason to do it now. If it continues to look promising do a deal when you need to, not now. Still 13 games people, not a lot to go on. Flames just spent a complete game firing shots at this pads. Lets see how he does against opponents roofing it or just getting it over the pads. As good as he's looked the opposition finish in some games has been bad.

Koski got a shutot in first dallas game but the same Stars made adjustments in 2nd game and got to Koski. Better finishing.

Chicago game, wouldn't put a lot of stock into it. Koski got a shutout, Talbs let in 1 goal in rematch. hawks are deadthings.

Koski looks great but no reason not to see more before contractual thoughts.
The question to me is if this continues and Koskinen is for real, what will those teams hungry for a goalie throw at him? Could there be a bidding war?

Imo we can wait longer for sure, but be careful there. We should have a spending target for our goalies too. Perhaps right now we could have both goalies for 7-8 million combined, but wait too long and who knows how far it can go up from there?

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
The question to me is if this continues and Koskinen is for real, what will those teams hungry for a goalie throw at him? Could there be a bidding war?

Imo we can wait longer for sure, but be careful there. We should have a spending target for our goalies too. Perhaps right now we could have both goalies for 7-8 million combined, but wait too long and who knows how far it can go up from there?

to be clear I'm not saying wait until free agency. Just that this is December, not necessary to think about it much now. Lets wait for more results. if I'm the team I'm continuing to share the load and see how both goalies do. Would like if both got around 40 games.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Just look at teams that have a great tandem and not just a great goalie. They always over perform. In the cap world everyone thinks you pay for one guy and then cheap out on the back up. To me now, it seems like it's more than just riding hot streaks, or injury insurance. Both your goalies are less worn out, and it helps.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
That sequence he made where he robbed, was it Neal, with his glove then stuck out the pad to rob him again was sublime. He's a game changer back there. I think we've found our superstar for the next half dozen or so years in net.
That was a great sequence but I do think we need to keep our expectations a bit in check. Let's not call him a superstar yet.

What I love about him is that he's absolutely massive in net, but it doesn't seem to hamper his agility. Being 6'7 is such a massive help because at the right angles you can be on your knees and still cover the vast majority of the upper net. He plays a really solid positional game and still has the ability to scramble for desperation saves when needed.

This is making Talbot play at a higher level too, I think. Talbot has been rode hard and put away wet here, we never gave him a competent backup and there wasn't much of an alternative if he wasn't playing great. I hope that Koskinen continues his great play because I think it will bring Talbot's game to another level as well. I didn't actually like that Talbot got 2 in a row but you can't argue with the results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->