Player Discussion Mikko Koskinen

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IIRC many were saying how it was an overpay because Fracouz was the better goalie and signed for much cheaper. We all know what Koskinen has done for our club so far but I wanted to see what Francouz has been up to to see if he's been as good as Mikko has for us.

(AHL) 15gp. 0.913sv% and a 2.91GAA 0SO

Not bad at all, but it seems like there is definitely some separation between these 2 as goalies at this point.

Last edited:

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
IIRC many were saying how it was an overpay because Fracouz was the better goalie and signed for much cheaper. We all know what Koskinen has done for our club so far but I wanted to see what Francouz has been up to to see if he's been as good as Mikko has for us.

15gp. 0.913sv% and a 2.91GAA 0SO

Not bad at all, but it seems like there is definitely some separation between these 2 as goalies at this point.
Francouz isn't even in the NHL. He's stuck with Colorado's AHL affiliate.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The reality is Koskinen has been everything this team had hoped for and more. Talbot isn't injured, but struggling mightily, and Koskinen has provided the Oilers with goaltending that allows them to have a change to win each night. You can't ask for much more given he was a question mark to start the year.

Reactions: GOilers88

Plevna

Nov 2, 2018
Bad thing that Koskinen have only one year deal. He's been so good many years in Europe and just keep going on NHL ice. There is many others team (Caroline etc.) which need better goalie.

Reactions: tellermine

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Koskinen is 2nd in the NHL with a 2.06 GAA, and 4th with a .929 save percentage, tied 2nd in the NHL with 3 shutouts.

9-3-1 with 3 shutouts
6-0-0 at home with 3 shutouts

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Love Koskinen.. extend his contract please.

I didn't really notice until tonight that Koskinen bangs his stick against the post really loudly as he's setting up whenever the Flames were entering the zone. I kept hearing 'TING!' and was wondering what that sound was lol. Just found that interesting.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
You can see why Hitch says he's a popular teammate and guys want to play for him. Guy battles so hard in net. I can never help but appreciate watching him scramble in net, never quitting on plays. Things going his way or not, you want to play for a guy that you know is doing absolutely everything in his power to try to shut the door. Talbot is starting to get that back too. It must be beneficial for Talbot to practice with a guy that plays that way.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Bangers

May 31, 2006
So ... have we finally found our big Finnish unheralded FA goalie?

It'll be nice if he can be our Kiprusoff/Rinne.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Love our big sexy Finn. We finally have our goalie, been a long time coming. He is our Kiprusoff/Rinne, seriously. Just get him signed

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I admit, I was wrong on this one. A shrewd move by Chiarelli.

I had no idea he's younger then Talbot even. Could very well be our #1 next season if he keeps it up.

Same, I was bagging him up until the season started.

Sounded to me from the radio that the organization had been scouting him even earlier than just last season.

varano

Jun 27, 2013

I didn't really notice until tonight that Koskinen bangs his stick against the post really loudly as he's setting up whenever the Flames were entering the zone. I kept hearing 'TING!' and was wondering what that sound was lol. Just found that interesting.
Every goalie has their little quirk on set up. Cory Schneider taps his blocker against his glove. I tap the back end (near the knob) of my stick to the cross bar every time because it anchors me and tells me how far I am from the net.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't know if anyone has video of his initial stint in the NHL, because he cannot be the same goaltender, he's play very well for this team, and they've needed every inch of it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If he hits free agency I would bet either Philly or St. Louis offers him 5M+ per year.

North

Jun 25, 2009
One thing I liked yesterday that had nothing to do with saves; he saw Tkachuk making a beeline for McDavid during that scrum and distracted him.

Should he do that regularly? Probably not but we know what Tkachuk does when the ref is not looking, so I have no problem with what Koskinen did there.

Reactions: ujju2

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

I'd be waiting for quite some time before extending him. He is playing lights out right now for sure, but he VERY LIKELY won't keep this level of play up. If he did, he'd be a Vezina candidate this year. Let the season play out, and see what he is in the off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad