Player Discussion Mikko Koskinen

pseudoreality

Jan 10, 2017
Pump the breaks there champ, let's see if Koskinen is actually a quality NHL backup before throwing out the mission accomplished signs.

The problem is he has to be a successful back-up as the NMC completely ties the team's hands in getting someone else if he continues to have problems.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The problem is he has to be a successful back-up as the NMC completely ties the team's hands in getting someone else if he continues to have problems.

Continues? He hasn’t played a regular season game yet and looked good in his last game. If he continues to play like he did last game we’ll be just fine.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He will be closer to a starter then a backup

Heard it here first
He has the skills to. He seems very quick, and I think goalies will be going more that way as the league finds new ways to shrink equipment little by little. Maybe rebound control is an issue for him.

pseudoreality

Jan 10, 2017
Continues? He hasn’t played a regular season game yet and looked good in his last game. If he continues to play like he did last game we’ll be just fine.

3.69 GAA and 0.855 SV% in the preseason is struggling for me. 2 good periods isn't enough to change my mind and earn him an NMC. I'm hoping he does turn it around, but you can't say he has already based on 2 decent periods of play in preseason, when every other game he played he has been awful.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
3.69 GAA and 0.855 SV% in the preseason is struggling for me. 2 good periods isn't enough to change my mind and earn him an NMC. I'm hoping he does turn it around, but you can't say he has already based on 2 decent periods of play in preseason, when every other game he played he has been awful.

Clearly you didn’t watch the second game and he was actually good for the entire last game and excellent for two periods. Give the guy a chance to adjust to NA hockey again , he has clearly improved in each game so far. Also, tons of really good goalies struggled in their first start or two. You don’t see other teams eager to throw them out with the bath water.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Clearly you didn’t watch the second game and he was actually good for the entire last game and excellent for two periods. Give the guy a chance to adjust to NA hockey again , he has clearly improved in each game so far. Also, tons of really good goalies struggled in their first start or two. You don’t see other teams eager to throw them out with the bath water.

Ya. The people that come in and burp out a stat line really don't know how he has improved or what situations he was put in.

It actually helps to watch the game.

Last edited:

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
He was good for two periods. Last I checked there are three in every hockey game.
How was he bad on the first? Besides the first goal he didn't look shaky at all. And I give him full marks from bouncing back from that goal; that's a good quality to have in a tender.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
How was he bad on the first? Besides the first goal he didn't look shaky at all. And I give him full marks from bouncing back from that goal; that's a good quality to have in a tender.
"Besides the thing he did terribly, he was alright".

Hockey is a tight game and after the top line there isn't all that much offense in the lineup. You get behind on the really defensive teams and you're cooked. You can't give up goals like that when the games matter.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Against the jets, 4 of the goals go in on most goalies in the league, that is a misleading stat line.

Do I think he deserved a NMC? Absolutely not, but there’s more to hockey than watching the stat line

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
You don’t see other teams give a KHL goalie $2.5 million and a NMC either. ;)

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Well hopefully he was the best one and pans out. The jury should still be out, unfortunately a lot of fans already have decided on a verdict.
Not me.
I think the contract was goofy but I know nothing about the player.
Preseason means very little either way. If he looks like a potential starter this year, I’ll be thrilled.

Reactions: nabob

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hes looked pretty good to me. Hes gotten better as preseason goes on. I think hes making adjustments to his game pretty quickly. I hope he has a good season.

Reactions: PulYou

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I think all the naysayers will be thrilled as well. In the meantime, they're just being pragmatic.

I think you may want to choose another word. lol

prag·mat·ic
praɡˈmadik/
adjective
  1. dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations.
Sorry, but that doesn't sound like them at all. ;)

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I think you may want to choose another word. lol

prag·mat·ic
praɡˈmadik/
adjective
  1. dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations.
Sorry, but that doesn't sound like them at all. ;)

You don't think it's sensible and realistic to think that giving a goaltender who hasn't played in North American for 6 years, has played 4 NHL games, and struggled during the pre-season a $2.5M contract with a NMC was a poor decision rather than the theoretical consideration that he'll pan out based on nothing but the fact that he improved from terrible to decent in a couple pre season games?

I'm happy with my wording thanks ;)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Until he lets in a bad goal. Then it’s a week of pragmatism naysaying.
that is the essence of pre-season. We really don't have enough time to really make the call, especially with goalies, where consistency is more important than "making the big save"

But I'm confident that Koskinen is a good guy to bet on

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Sounds like Talbot's been lights out so far, which should go a long way heading into game 1
he let in what seems to be a bad goal this game though so it's a bit unsure. Remember that last season Talbot was not good so skeptics would always have the default position and it's up the Talbot to prove himself. I have to say I like Koskinen though, and I'm glad Chia got a goalie that seems to have at least a chance at being a starter rather than just a career back up or a washed up starter looking for redemption.

But it's moot anyway. Talbot is our #1 and Koskinen is our #2. If they fail, then that's that. We're not finding a new top starter now. Personally, I like our tandem so we'll see.

Reactions: GameChanger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad