Player Discussion Mikko Koivu (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Most games in Wild history. First full time Captain. Most points, most assists, 2nd goals. Face of franchise.
It's going up there.

Oh so things typical of anyone who plays for a brand new franchise for more than 5 years?

David Legwand leads in the same statistical categories that Koivu does for Nashville. Do you think their fans are clamoring for his jersey to be retired?

Reactions: 2Pair

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
After watching some of the CBJ playoff games, I can confirm that Koivu is not the player they need.

That being said Columbus will be ridiculously annoying to play against next season for everyone.

To hardcore Minny fans: at least he didnt go to the AV's.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
After watching some of the CBJ playoff games, I can confirm that Koivu is not the player they need.

That being said Columbus will be ridiculously annoying to play against next season for everyone.

To hardcore Minny fans: at least he didnt go to the AV's.

Don't really care where washed up 4C's go. Doesn't phase me if he goes to Colorado.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Koivu was the epitome of what was wrong with Minnesota. He knew that they weren't going to bring him back after last season, still vetoed a trade (which I agree is his every right) to help improve this team, waffled on retiring and then signed to another team. Not only that, but he was out of place as a 1st line center, made a pretty good 2nd line center - but he was miscast and the team built around him suffered in the new NHL.

Beastieboi

Oct 29, 2019
Koivu was the epitome of what was wrong with Minnesota. He knew that they weren't going to bring him back after last season, still vetoed a trade (which I agree is his every right) to help improve this team, waffled on retiring and then signed to another team. Not only that, but he was out of place as a 1st line center, made a pretty good 2nd line center - but he was miscast and the team built around him suffered in the new NHL.
Wanted to be with his team until it wasn't his choice any more, probably wanted to have that slim chance at winning the cup with the team he loves rather than having a bigger chance at winning it as a rental.

I do think GMBG has done him a favour though, taking that choice away from him has allowed for him to go to a team with a stronger chance at being a contender, I hope to see a very motivated Koivu next season and wish him nothing but success.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
I literally have never been so unattached mentally to a long term MN sports star.

His contract screwed us for years and he was always overpaid. Was never a legitimate 1c although he was paid like one. Did this franchise 0 favors.

Although as an employee rights kind of guy I fully understand.

I wish him the best and his jersey should go up. But this state has had better sports heros.

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.
Koivu has always been a great defensive player, faceoff man, and penalty killer. Lately he was a step slow, and expected time on the power play. As a half wall guy most of the time would throw it back to the point sometimes without looking to the middle of the ice. Also as a big guy rarely body checked anyone especially in the neutral zone. In our house he was known as Captain Pokecheck.

Hope he does well in Columbus and agree he should have his number retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad