Player Discussion Mikko Koivu (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I liken them Retiring it to the teams that have never won a cup. However, even the Sedin's played in a Stanley Cup Final at least.

List of National Hockey League retired numbers - Wikipedia

When you look at that list, there are two trains of thought I guess:

1) Your team's player either took you to the Promise Land or made it to the HHOF

or

2) Your team honored a player who emphasized your organizations style of play and was a integral part to your success and/or identity

For the longest time, I felt retiring "9" would be a pandering move to appease the fanbase as we've never seen a glorified superstar on the team. Koivu was effectively "it" every year in those rough patches after Gaborik dipped out to New York and before Parise/Suter became complimentary stars to him. However, when you look back at the early 2000's, Koivu was exactly what #2 is. He was the identity of the Minnesota Wild. When you thought of the Wild, you thought of a defensive battle with forwards and that goal scoring was going to be hard. PK was going to be tough. Yes, that probably has changed quite a bit in the time since. But it wasn't always like that. Koivu was consistently put on some of those hyperstars we all wished were on this very team. Even as he aged, he never once appeared to complain that he wasn't getting the easy matchups.

Reactions: TaLoN and HotDish

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Retire the Jersey, wall of wonder, Hall of Fame, circle of hotness....I don't really care. Honor the guy as one of, if not the best player to have ever played for your team , while conducting himself with class and loyalty. See if can get Jacques back for the ceremony.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I liken them Retiring it to the teams that have never won a cup. However, even the Sedin's played in a Stanley Cup Final at least.

List of National Hockey League retired numbers - Wikipedia

Look at that list and see:

Dit Clapper (great hockey name): similar long career with one team. He won 3 cups and was a 3 time all-star.

Jere Lehitnen - fellow Finn with similar career, oh, but he won 3 Selkes.

I don't care enough to look through the whole list, but besides the examples I've cited, most these folks got some silverware on the resume. Granted, it was easier in a smaller league, but still.

I remember the discussion that the Wild should retire Wes Walz's number. Koivu is a better Walz. Aim higher.

Maybe in 2040, and the Wild still got nothing, yeah, honor Mikko.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Is he looking at retirement or is he looking to play another year?

With that...can he still place in a 3/4C capacity?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Is he looking at retirement or is he looking to play another year?

With that...can he still place in a 3/4C capacity?
No one really knows what his plans are. Russo seems skeptical that he won't be back next year, but his guess is probably as good as ours.

He's slow as hell but he's still good defensively and can win faceoffs. He'd make an okay 4C.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
No one really knows what his plans are. Russo seems skeptical that he won't be back next year, but his guess is probably as good as ours.

He's slow as hell but he's still good defensively and can win faceoffs. He'd make an okay 4C.

Russo just posted an article that Koivu is going to field calls once FA opens up.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I think this video sums up Koivu and his impact the greatest:

Don't remember how to do videos. If the above doesn't work, would take a reminder.

Also, a great reminder as to why some people are picked as captains, even though there's not a single event in which you can say "Oh, this is why".

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
It will be weird to see him wear a different team's uniform, but it was time for him to go.

Reactions: BigT2002

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Didn't he block any potential trades at the deadline? woulda been nice to get something for him. At least this should end the retiring his number debate if he signs elsewhere? Sounds like Flyers would be front runners

Reactions: thestonedkoala

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Few years back, when Koivu was nominated and Bergeron grabbed the Selke, Koivu had 60% D-zone starts vs. Bergeron 40%. (They had the same ozone/dzone starts throughout their career.)

If you are a defensive forward, you will not get noticed.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Few years back, when Koivu was nominated and Bergeron grabbed the Selke, Koivu had 60% D-zone starts vs. Bergeron 40%. (They had the same ozone/dzone starts throughout their career.)

If you are a defensive forward, you will not get noticed.
Yeah the Selke is dumb a lot of years since voters never really understand what defensive forwards really are. Voters seem to have criteria from all over the map ranging from takeaways to SHGs. Hell this year they advertised the nominations by showing their offensive highlights...

Reactions: Aurinko

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
The year Kesler won was the year Mikko most deserved it in my opinion. Koivu was phenomenal all year defensively and clearly outplayed Kesler head to head. Kesler had one of his worst years defensively that year too, but he scored 40 goals and had the reputation so there you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad