Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Great article. Thanks for sharing, tgf.

This part was super cool:

The day in 2009 when I was given the Wild captaincy was one of the proudest of my life. We started that year with a new coaching staff and they wanted to get to know all of the players. There were three alternate captains for the first seven games. Before our eighth game, I was called into our GM’s office and the coaching staff was there as well.

“Mikko, we’re comfortable with you having the C. Do you want it?”

Before I said yes, I asked them if it was all right with the veteran players on the team. That was something that was very important to me; I wanted to make sure the entire organization trusted me, including our players. The coaches told me they had spoken to our team, and that everyone was on board. Being the captain of the Minnesota Wild has been one of the greatest honors of my life.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Yep, that got me fired up. Awesome read.

My favorite part has to be the end:

But mostly, the thing we all agree on is how badly we want to make Minnesota proud.

This is my home. I’ve been part of this club for 16 years, and I’ve cherished every second. I bought my first home here, my wife and I love it here, and both our kids were born here. It’s a very special place to me.

Every time I run into a fan at the grocery store, or at the park, they’re always so kind. That’s the part that gets me. Even when we were struggling, people would come up to me and thank me. They’d tell me how much the team meant to them and that they knew we were going to turn it around. It’s unlike anywhere I’ve ever lived. I want to repay that faith.

There’s a lot of hockey to be played this year, we know that. But we’re on a mission.

Our mission began in all different parts of the world for the guys in our locker room. For me, it started in Turku, Finland.

I’ve done a lot of growing up along the way, and it’s Minnesota that raised me.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pushed all the right buttons, albeit in a bland, Koivu like fashion. I do want to know what he dressed up like, though, and if there are any pics available.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Good read for sure. Glad he likes it here and I hope he retires here eventually. He's been our franchise player for a long time, and it would be great to see him lift the cup some day.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
“Hey, kid. Never too low, never too high. O.K.?”

Tony253

North, never Dallas
Jan 15, 2012
St. Paul, MN
A bit of different opinion of El Kapitan...That was written by guy who while a top prospect, paid his dues and appreciates the current opportunity before him. He is the standard all future Wild captains will have to live up to.

jackouu

Nov 25, 2015
Helsinki
Damn that was a great read indeed. What a great captain we have! So happy for Mikko that he is playing well this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->