Confirmed with Link: Mikko Koivu announces retirement

JacketLife

Aug 2, 2020
Gotta love Torts even being blamed for this. I’m guessing he wasn’t benched last night. Her already made his decision.
He wasn’t great this year. I’d rather have Stenlund taking that spot. But it would be nice to have veterans who could help some of these young guys.

Reactions: Forepar

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Gotta love Torts even being blamed for this. I’m guessing he wasn’t benched last night. Her already made his decision.
He wasn’t great this year. I’d rather have Stenlund taking that spot. But it would be nice to have veterans who could help some of these young guys.
Veterans with some skill. That's what I liked about Koivu. Foligno is a team leader but from outside would not appear to be a skill mentor. Effort, yes.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
A very brave and respectable decision.

He should have never signed with us to be honest. To retire and never wear another team uniform is so unique and rare

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

In the presser Mikko talked about his state of mind after the scratch being one of the things that helped seal his decision. He said he didn't feel that urge to prove his worth, which he said is the feeling you need to have.

Veterans with some skill. That's what I liked about Koivu. Foligno is a team leader but from outside would not appear to be a skill mentor. Effort, yes.

I'm not sure what you mean. Mikko's skill level has never been his selling point.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006

He should have never signed with us to be honest. To retire and never wear another team uniform is so unique and rare
Koivus are proud people. I think he probably genuinely thought he could still play but at the same time, he was not going to let Guerin decide when it was his time to retire.

Guerin is and always was a moron.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

If you are the captain for said team for a very long time and then one day they go, you know what, we won't sign you anymore, maybe that's not the kind of retirement a guy wants? :)

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Too bad about Koivu's retirement, when I saw the signing I thought what an awesome bottom-6 veteran depth piece with great value, good on CBJ. I guess he was done, these things can take quite a bit of time for a person to come to grips about it.

Personally I don't think it really had to do with things outside of himself, though I suppose if CBJ looked like a contender it might have made him more motivated to try and stick around, but then again that's not enough anyway.

Reactions: majormajor

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
We should trade for
Anisimov!!

Guys been healthy scratch all season. Good two way center who can still score. Also great in shootouts.

Would add some depth down the middle as well

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We should trade for
Anisimov!!

Guys been healthy scratch all season. Good two way center who can still score. Also great in shootouts.

Would add some depth down the middle as well

Jackets had too many bodies to begin with. Funny enough Mikko said he thought it would be unfair for him to keep taking up the lineup spot and keeping others out. Stenlund wasn't getting used, now he'll get a bigger chance, that's maybe the only difference we'll see.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Man I got nothing. I wish Koivu well but I really don’t know what to say about this.

Between this, Laine being benched, Torts in general just being a mystery and a myriad other bullshit things, not to mention my own personal issues I might honestly just take the rest of the season off. I’m really having a hard time getting psyched up for hockey this year.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Man I got nothing. I wish Koivu well but I really don’t know what to say about this.

Between this, Laine being benched, Torts in general just being a mystery and a myriad other bullshit things, not to mention my own personal issues I might honestly just take the rest of the season off. I’m really having a hard time getting psyched up for hockey this year.

I feel you. This team isn’t even fun to follow. Let alone watch. Yet I’m here out of habit and love for the game and the team. But it has me question things recently, Is it even worth it?

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I feel you. This team isn’t even fun to follow. Let alone watch. Yet I’m here out of habit and love for the game and the team. But it has me question things recently, Is it even worth it?
I mean honestly. I work 50-60 hours a week, I have some health shit going on that’s not wonderful. I’m tired and cranky and hockey is supposed to be my relief from all that and all it’s doing right now is adding stress. I’d rather be doing something else quite frankly.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I guess as a Cleveland Browns fan I’m just used to the misery we call sports. But as the beloved Marty Schottenheimer once said “There’s a gleam men.” I guess that’s what I am waiting for.
Sad that Marty is in hospice. It was his teams that got me into the Browns and become a season ticket holder. Really felt bad that he just couldn't win it all. Good coach.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Will anyone be shocked if he heads into coaching ?

If Mikko Koivu ever has a coaching career
it'll happen in TPS Turku juniors or Finnish hockey association.
But now it's not a time yet to start speculations of that will Koivu become a hockey coach someday.

Mikko has divorce process going and i'm sure only what he wants now is a quality time with his kids.
Time will tell what future brings to Mikko Koivu.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->