Line Combos: Mikheyev, Engvall or both on the 3rd line?

What line do you prefer?

• Mikheyev - Kampf - Kase

• Engvall - Kampf - Kase

• Mikheyev - Kampf - Engvall

• Other (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I was reading Siegel's article on the Athletic. Basically our current line of Mikheyev-Kampf-Kase has been absolutely atrocious.

Not too mention the 4th line has been pretty bad for awhile too even with Engvall on it. What would you like to see?

Here are the numbers for third line combos this season
LWCRWTOIXGF%
MikheyevKampfEngvall60.177.1
EngvallKampfKase146.456.3
RitchieKampfKase34.651.3
KerfootKampfKase34.950.0
MikheyevKampfKase72.438.0
RitchieKampfSimmonds32.223.1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Mik is in playoff form and Kase is playing too cautious and fumbling the puck a lot. Needs to find a balance between too reckless and too cautious. Line is absolutely terrible. Kampf has looked very good though so he gets a pass.

Time to audition some youngsters soon maybe.

Reactions: Duffman955

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Mik is in playoff form and Kase is playing too cautious and fumbling the puck a lot. Needs to find a balance between too reckless and too cautious. Line is absolutely terrible. Kampf has looked very good though so he gets a pass.

Time to audition some youngsters soon maybe.

Mik is fast and everything but doesn't fit in the top 6 and is wasted on the 4th line. Sell high

Reactions: DraftSchmaft

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I was reading Siegel's article on the Athletic. Basically our current line of Mikheyev-Kampf-Kase has been absolutely atrocious.

Not too mention the 4th line has been pretty bad for awhile too even with Engvall on it. What would you like to see?

LWCRWTOIXGF%
RitchieKampfKase34.651.3
KerfootKampfKase34.950.0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Their xGA/60 numbers are actually elite. It is just their xGF/60 numbers are just not good at all (a lot of which probably has to do with not getting many HD chances).

Important to keep in mind that this is a line that only starts 27% of the time in the offensive zone at ES, and a lot of their offense is something they generate through a lot of hard work.

If we are talking ideals, they win a draw in their own end and can immediately rush the puck down the ice and either score or start a cycle. If they don't get the puck out immediately, however, they usually do not have enough energy left to really start a long cycle and rack up offensive possession numbers, but they set the table for our top 6 to come on and do their thing. Every other guy in our lineup, except guys like Engvall and Kerfoot, have well over 50% OZS% because of that line, and they are the ones who are getting paid to generate offense.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Prefer Kerfoot to the 3rd line and one of Engvall/Mikheyev gone.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I voted for Mikheyev-Kampf-Kase. Don't know that meaningful conclusions can be drawn from any other combo besides the Engvall-Kampf-Kase line though due to how much of an outlier it is in terms of TOI.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC

Who is playing 2nd line then?

I voted for Mikheyev - Kampf - Kase as well, because I think it should work. Granted, I agree it is not. All recent success for Mik and Kamph has been on the PK and some for Kase on the PP... as a unit, they are not producing much, but it also feels like they are not giving up much. At the end of the day, if this line has a low low xGA, I think I am good with that since our top 2 lines and PP SHOULD be able to provide enough offence.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

LWCRWTOIXGF%
RitchieKampfKase34.651.3
KerfootKampfKase34.950.0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Yep he's right on.

Mikheyev-Kampf-Engvall has been great and Mikheyev-Kampf-Kase has been bad.

For me I would go with Mikheyev-Kampf-Engvall as a defensive/forechecking line (I don't care if you call it a 3rd line or a 4th line) and try to go with a more offensive set up for the Spezza line with kase or kerfoot with Spezza and simmonds/(Marlie).

Wouldn't mind seeing Kase get a look on the Tavares line in kerfoot's spot - not sure he'd be an upgrade there but he might.

Bunting --- Matthews --- Marner

Kerf/Kase --- Tavares --- Nylander
Kerf/Kase --- Spezza --- Simmonds/Marlie

Mikheyev --- Kampf --- Engvall

Of course, even better would be trading for a Hertl or even a Giroux, which gives us the chance of icing a 3rd scoring line like

Kerf/Kase --- Hertl/Giroux --- Spezza

Reactions: Zybalto and Atomos2

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto

Agree, we can substitute Kerfoot with Giroux on the 2nd line :D

We just need Philly to retain 50% and we’ll give them a 2023/2024 1st + mid prospect

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Yep he's right on.

Mikheyev-Kampf-Engvall has been great and Mikheyev-Kampf-Kase has been bad.

For me I would go with Mikheyev-Kampf-Engvall as a defensive/forechecking line (I don't care if you call it a 3rd line or a 4th line) and try to go with a more offensive set up for the Spezza line with kase or kerfoot with Spezza and simmonds/(Marlie).

Wouldn't mind seeing Kase get a look on the Tavares line in kerfoot's spot - not sure he'd be an upgrade there but he might.

Bunting --- Matthews --- Marner

Kerf/Kase --- Tavares --- Nylander
Kerf/Kase --- Spezza --- Simmonds/Marlie

Mikheyev --- Kampf --- Engvall

Of course, even better would be trading for a Hertl or even a Giroux, which gives us the chance of icing a 3rd scoring line like

Kerf/Kase --- Hertl/Giroux --- Spezza

On the bolded, I find it odd I keep reading Florida and Avs as constantly being the front runners for Giroux’s services, I think leafs have better prospects to outbid. Not suggesting they should, but leafs don’t seem to be associated with any Giroux rumours which I find strange. Unless there are some underlying numbers that should be of concern regarding Giroux, they should be in on him

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Agree, we can substitute Kerfoot with Giroux on the 2nd line :D

We just need Philly to retain 50% and we’ll give them a 2023/2024 1st + mid prospect
Works for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad