Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I just mean I don't know if we can bring him back up before he starts playing better.

True. I wouldn't have sent him down to begin with, but since they decided to do so I definitely wouldn't bring him up until he gets a bit of confidence going. Definitely no urgency, wait for an ideal moment to ween him in.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I watched segments of his game against the Pens the other night, and it looks like he's getting some of his speed back. He's still not the waterbug he was with us, but he's not the just-above-average skater he was last year either. He looks like a fast player again, and I think that'll lead to success for him. My own theory is Drouin is a lot more interested in working on things he's good at than the things he's bad at, and that'll hold him back until he matures. But he's also about to enter his physical prime, and he's not going to take full advantage of it if he doesn't mature quickly.

I might be in the minority, but Sergachev has been disappointing so far this year. The giveaway he made in the 3rd period last game, right up the gut, when the game was still close, is a pretty good reason why he's not quite ready for top-4 responsibilities just yet. And also why it's not going to be easy for us to move on from Stralman, who's having a nice start to the season, any time soon.

I watched him that game too, biggest thing I noticed was how he hasn't improved. I think playing in Tampa kept him on his toes, there was drastic improvement from 3rd year Drouin from 1st year whereas there's been almost nil improvement from 3rd year Drouin to 5th year. This is a guy who was in the dog house, to suspension to having Cooper play you in the final 5 mins of a game to defend a lead.

It looks like he doesn't need to put in extra work in Montreal because he's already been paid and has an inifinte leash, he's "supposed" to be their best offensive player so that's gotten to his head.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I watched him that game too, biggest thing I noticed was how he hasn't improved. I think playing in Tampa kept him on his toes, there was drastic improvement from 3rd year Drouin from 1st year whereas there's been almost nil improvement from 3rd year Drouin to 5th year. This is a guy who was in the dog house, to suspension to having Cooper play you in the final 5 mins of a game to defend a lead.

It looks like he doesn't need to put in extra work in Montreal because he's already been paid and has an inifinte leash, he's "supposed" to be their best offensive player so that's gotten to his head.

I think he's improved over last year just because he looks faster. But yeah, he's still a shadow of what he was in his final year with us, where he commonly created plays out of nothing. It seemed like we just needed everything to "click," and we'd have a superstar. Obviously that never happened, but he no longer looks like a player who just needs that "click."

But I think you're right about the reason for this. There's no pressure on him to be better than he is right now. There's not even internal competition, which he commonly had to deal with here. He's going to get his time by default. Big fish/small pond, etc.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Speak of the devil, Drouin scores on a penalty shot after making a nice play to jump behind the D and take a pass.

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
What are the odds we sit Serg for KK next game? Or if he plays like Sustr again next game, then definitely sit on Saturday?

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
I definitely think that sitting Serg to get KK into a game should be the game plan. Heck, depending on how KK plays, would not mind Serg sitting for a few games. I have been one of Serg's biggest advocates but his decision making has left a lot to be desired. After his horrendous turnover late in the game, he at least showed effort and got back and broke up the play. He is in that dangerous area where he had some success last year but now thinks he has the game figured out and can take more chances and give less effort.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Serg played well enough last year to not be sent back to Syracuse. At this point you almost kind of wish he did go back there. I dont know if it would have helped him or not.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Serg played well enough last year to not be sent back to Syracuse. At this point you almost kind of wish he did go back there. I dont know if it would have helped him or not.

Syracuse wasn't an option last year, if I'm not mistaken, because Serge played in the CHL, and it would have been his second over-age year.

He's just playing really really really soft with the puck right now (Coop's "It's not an egg" comment), and getting burned over and over. Similar problem to what's going on with Kucherov, except in Sergachev's case it's resulting in chances against us, whereas Kuch is just killing our offense.

Koekkoek has to get a game in soon, and Serge has definitely been the worst of our defenders so far. I hope he takes it as a wake-up call, if indeed it happens.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

ronsatter

Aug 30, 2018
Took a while, but Sergy for Drouin not looking like as much of a steal anymore. And it's not just because of the -6, his game is not improving. I know it takes longer for D men but not seeing anything that suggests he's getting it. And get a damn helmet that fits.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Took a while, but Sergy for Drouin not looking like as much of a steal anymore. And it's not just because of the -6, his game is not improving. I know it takes longer for D men but not seeing anything that suggests he's getting it. And get a damn helmet that fits.

Sergachev isn't even old enough to drink in Tampa

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Drouin was replaced with Gourde and Point which is a huge net positive, although Drouin is the only player including Kucherov who I think could've been a long term solution for Stamkos.

ronsatter

Aug 30, 2018
Sergachev isn't even old enough to drink in Tampa
It's a fair point, but I see absolutely no development in his game. Right now he is a gross defensive liability in a way that Heddy never was at his age.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's a fair point, but I see absolutely no development in his game. Right now he is a gross liability defensively in a way that Heddy never was at his age.

Huh he's played 1 season, it's a juxtaposition to say it's ok for a young defenseman to develop then expecting immediate development...

Hedman by the way took a step back in his 3rd year after Brewer and Ohlund couldn't babysit anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoek

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Eh he needs to improve Defensively but I dont think he has been as bad as last game showing was. Had a bad night but you know what a lot of our team did too.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Eh he needs to improve Defensively but I dont think he has been as bad as last game showing was. Had a bad night but you know what a lot of our team did too.
Well yeah if he was as bad all the time as he was last game he'd be almost -500 over an 82 game season.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

ronsatter

Aug 30, 2018
Huh he's played 1 season, it's a juxtaposition to say it's ok for a young defenseman to develop then expecting immediate development...
No one, including me, expects "immediate" complete development to some specified level of proficiency, but I do expect to see some incremental development and I'm not seeing any. If anything, it's been regression which is sad because until Heddy's injury the other night, our D, except for Sergy, has been mostly stellar. You would hope that playing in that system would elevate his game.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
No one, including me, expects "immediate" complete development to some specified level of proficiency, but I do expect to see some incremental development and I'm not seeing any. If anything, it's been regression which is sad because until Heddy's injury the other night, our D, except for Sergy, has been mostly stellar. You would hope that playing in that system would elevate his game.

We're 10 games into the season.............

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Well, sort of. I mean, a lot of players had bad games, but I don't think we should just dismiss HOW bad Sergachev was with the extra responsibility. It was a different level of bad, and, aside from a game or two, he's been more bad than good so far this season.

I mean, we should have expected it. It's not a huge deal. But we really have to put the brakes on all this talk of immediately gifting him a top-4 slot. He's shown more evidence that he's not ready for it than that he is. He's been our worst defenseman so far. That's not a terrible thing. It's just that we probably shouldn't push him into a role he's not ready for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad