Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
Serg already has a better shot than Hedman so who is on the first PP unit may be up for debate soon.
I'm not talking about pairings. More that Sergachev is going to be second choice for all premium opportunities on this team for a long, long time. Hedman's at a level very, very few defensemen get to in their careers, and even when he slows down, it'll probably still be a while (after he slows down) before Sergachev overtakes him.

Reactions: Hoek

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'm not talking about pairings. More that Sergachev is going to be second choice for all premium opportunities on this team for a long, long time. Hedman's at a level very, very few defensemen get to in their careers, and even when he slows down, it'll probably still be a while (after he slows down) before Sergachev overtakes him.

Well no, this is where I disagree - they already started shifting Sergachev into more offensive opportunities over Hedman towards the end of the season, because he's better in those situations. He was taking PP1 shifts over Hedman because it was clear one guy knows how to get a shot on net, that's only going to get better as Sergachev ages, he'll be taking PP duties over Hedman and we won't have to load Hedman at 26+ mins a night.

Reactions: Hoek

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
One big problem for him, in terms of individual success, is he's always going to be second choice to Victor Hedman. Hedman at 27 is still taking steps forward, which isn't uncommon with defensemen. Obviously, he'll slow down at some point, but will Sergachev at 25 be better than Hedman at 33? I'm not sold on that. The very best players in the NHL, and I think we'd all agree Hedman is one of those, who skate well, and Hedman obviously does that, tend to play at a high level even as they decline. So, for instance, top unit PP time is going to be hard to come by for Sergachev for quite some time, and who knows what the team will look like by the time he finally does pass Hedman on the depth chart?

Sergachev has a fantastic skillset, and he's pretty much perfect for what we need long-term. But what we need long-term is pretty much a guy who'll play Robin to Victor Hedman's Batman.

Agree with essentially what you say here about his role except I don't think he gets held back on the PP.

Hedman will always be taking harder matchups because his skillset is geared towards defending, Sergachev's is for offense which is what he'll should be doing. Difference is that 55 points from Sergachev in his role isn't the same as 55 points from Hedman in a tougher role. He has the environment perfectly suited to developing his skillset. This isn't some bottom feeding team that needs him to be an all round #1 who logs heavy minutes and is expected to shut down other players, if we develop him based on team need it should be as an offense first defenseman, even if it's a "#2 or a "robin."

We need Sergachev to fill the role we've lacked for years, an offensive defenseman who can transition and control play in the offensive zone, I'd rather have him be an elite #2, excel in that role and benefit the team more overall. Guess my point is that I disagree about him struggling to produce with more responsibility because I don't think he's going to be used in those situations extensively, I mean look at our team, we have Hedman, Stralman and McDonagh long term with Foote in the future to log heavy defensive minutes. I think Cooper uses him primarily for offense and his leash comes off a bit considering he will almost always be paired with one of the above for the next half decade.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well no, this is where I disagree - they already started shifting Sergachev into more offensive opportunities over Hedman towards the end of the season, because he's better in those situations. He was taking PP1 shifts over Hedman because it was clear one guy knows how to get a shot on net, that's only going to get better as Sergachev ages, he'll be taking PP duties over Hedman and we won't have to load Hedman at 26+ mins a night.

I think the PP job will depend more on who's better at getting the puck to Stamkos and Kucherov. Maybe Sergachev will overtake Hedman in that role, but I just don't see it happening soon, outside of here and there when the PP struggles and needs a change.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I think the PP job will depend more on who's better at getting the puck to Stamkos and Kucherov. Maybe Sergachev will overtake Hedman in that role, but I just don't see it happening soon, outside of here and there when the PP struggles and needs a change.
Yeah I don't see Hedman losing 1st PP unit duties, it also seemed like Point was getting a lot of #1 unit time as well so Serg will continue to quarterback the 2nd unit. He did a fine job of it last yer

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Think why was drouin so good in Tampa because people around him could finish
The Habs have finishers just not playmakers. Gallagher Lehkonen Byron and before this year Pacioretty can all finish, they just don’t have guys to give them the puck. Domi helps that, and Drouin does in theory.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Drouin at times played as well as any player has ever played for us. His flaw was thinking that was enough, and he didn't need to be consistent on a team rife with talent

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Drouin at times played as well as any player has ever played for us. His flaw was thinking that was enough, and he didn't need to be consistent on a team rife with talent

I watched segments of his game against the Pens the other night, and it looks like he's getting some of his speed back. He's still not the waterbug he was with us, but he's not the just-above-average skater he was last year either. He looks like a fast player again, and I think that'll lead to success for him. My own theory is Drouin is a lot more interested in working on things he's good at than the things he's bad at, and that'll hold him back until he matures. But he's also about to enter his physical prime, and he's not going to take full advantage of it if he doesn't mature quickly.

I might be in the minority, but Sergachev has been disappointing so far this year. The giveaway he made in the 3rd period last game, right up the gut, when the game was still close, is a pretty good reason why he's not quite ready for top-4 responsibilities just yet. And also why it's not going to be easy for us to move on from Stralman, who's having a nice start to the season, any time soon.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I watched segments of his game against the Pens the other night, and it looks like he's getting some of his speed back. He's still not the waterbug he was with us, but he's not the just-above-average skater he was last year either. He looks like a fast player again, and I think that'll lead to success for him. My own theory is Drouin is a lot more interested in working on things he's good at than the things he's bad at, and that'll hold him back until he matures. But he's also about to enter his physical prime, and he's not going to take full advantage of it if he doesn't mature quickly.

I might be in the minority, but Sergachev has been disappointing so far this year. The giveaway he made in the 3rd period last game, right up the gut, when the game was still close, is a pretty good reason why he's not quite ready for top-4 responsibilities just yet. And also why it's not going to be easy for us to move on from Stralman, who's having a nice start to the season, any time soon.
I think Sergachev has been underwhelming. I was hoping he'd play so well we'd have to give him top 4 time, but really he hasn't looked much better than his first few games with us (outside of his ability to get shots through from the point and that gorgeous move he can make at the blueline to sidestep a charging forward).

The other issue is... Girardi looks pretty bad too. As does Coburn. Hedman has looked pretty normal (I thought he was fantastic against the Blue Jackets except for the penalties), and McD+Stralman has been downright elite, but I worry.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think Sergachev has been underwhelming. I was hoping he'd play so well we'd have to give him top 4 time, but really he hasn't looked much better than his first few games with us (outside of his ability to get shots through from the point and that gorgeous move he can make at the blueline to sidestep a charging forward).

The other issue is... Girardi looks pretty bad too. As does Coburn. Hedman has looked pretty normal (I thought he was fantastic against the Blue Jackets except for the penalties), and McD+Stralman has been downright elite, but I worry.

Agreed on everything. And, according to (I think) Rshmitz, Cernak hasn't had the best return to Syracuse, which I think we've seen before with disappointed players. But it still makes you wonder if we can bring him up before he earns it again.

If Callahan isn't quite ready at Martel's 30 day mark, could we send Martel down and bring Cernak up for a trial run? We saw what we need in a partner for Hedman out of Dotchin, and it wasn't much. If Cernak, or anyone, could fill that role, it would set our pairings in order.

And, if I'm not mistaken, Koekkoek hasn't gotten into a game yet. Gonna have to sit one of those vets for him eventually. I can't see us sitting Serg.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Agreed on everything. And, according to (I think) Rshmitz, Cernak hasn't had the best return to Syracuse, which I think we've seen before with disappointed players. But it still makes you wonder if we can bring him up before he earns it again.

If Callahan isn't quite ready at Martel's 30 day mark, could we send Martel down and bring Cernak up for a trial run? We saw what we need in a partner for Hedman out of Dotchin, and it wasn't much. If Cernak, or anyone, could fill that role, it would set our pairings in order.

And, if I'm not mistaken, Koekkoek hasn't gotten into a game yet. Gonna have to sit one of those vets for him eventually. I can't see us sitting Serg.
The easy answer for KK is to spell Coburn a few games here and there (especially in 3 in 4 scenarios).

As for Cernak and the Crunch generally - I mean they've had a lot of turnover and again are putting 4(? - ABB, Katchouk, Raddysh, Foote - am I missing anyone?) rookies into the lineup in important roles, and on top of that they're losing a couple of big pieces from their team last season in Peca, Cirelli, and Joseph. That shit is going to take time to gel. Also - frankly - those are three two-way players being replaced by three offense-first players. There is going to be a system adjustment that comes from that.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I think Sergachev has been underwhelming.
I think you're being very kind. I know he is more of an "offensive" D-Man but the turnovers in the defensive zone have been horrible. He really needs to work on cleaning those up. I don't expect him to be a stalwart in the D zone but it would be awesome if he could amp up his level of defense to be at least average.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The easy answer for KK is to spell Coburn a few games here and there (especially in 3 in 4 scenarios).

As for Cernak and the Crunch generally - I mean they've had a lot of turnover and again are putting 4(? - ABB, Katchouk, Raddysh, Foote - am I missing anyone?) rookies into the lineup in important roles, and on top of that they're losing a couple of big pieces from their team last season in Peca, Cirelli, and Joseph. That **** is going to take time to gel. Also - frankly - those are three two-way players being replaced by three offense-first players. There is going to be a system adjustment that comes from that.

With the Crunch, that's the way the last few years have gone. Always takes a little while to get their footing because of all the turnover.

But I mean, with Cernak, if we believe the rumors that GMJB was/is trying to trade a bottom pairing D to make room for him, he essentially made the team out of camp and got sent down anyway. I just mean I don't know if we can bring him back up before he starts playing better. It seems like every time we send somebody down with the message "You belong in the NHL," they play poorly out of the gate.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
With the Crunch, that's the way the last few years have gone. Always takes a little while to get their footing because of all the turnover.

But I mean, with Cernak, if we believe the rumors that GMJB was/is trying to trade a bottom pairing D to make room for him, he essentially made the team out of camp and got sent down anyway. I just mean I don't know if we can bring him back up before he starts playing better. It seems like every time we send somebody down with the message "You belong in the NHL," they play poorly out of the gate.

Brett Connolly and Slater Koekkoek were the 2 most guilty of this and I think it effected their careers. Drouin aswell who sulked upon return to jr.

Honestly I think that's the difference between some of these high picks and the later round guys/undrafted guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad