Confirmed with Link: Mikhail Sergachev signs 8 year extension | $8.5M AAV

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Whats done is done, the franchise desperately needs Serge to be 2D quality immediately and 1D quality in three years or less. He‘s very talented, big and strong. We all know he has more to give. We are all gonna be watching CLOSELY. Hell I’ll bet his teammates will be curious too.

Here’s to Serge finding another level in 22-23.

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
Looking at some other player signings I still think he should have been offered 6.5, 7 at most on his new deal. 8.5 just seems ridiculous. I'll move on, for now, hopefully, it pans out, but that's a lot of money you're putting into a guy for potential. The only benefit is he's young and we can move him if he doesn't pan out after four years, but were most likely also going to be moving his contract.

Reactions: ultra63

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
1 million AAV less than Seth Jones, who is considered to have an albatross franchise stifling contract yet is actually a #1

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Haven't been on this forum in a long time and I just wanted to come back to this thread and see what others were saying about this deal for Sergachev. Lots of negative "Overpay", and "Bolts got hosed" type of comments.

Well, after he played this season, I think it's fair to say JBB knows exactly what he's doing. Turns out this contract is going to look like a steal too.. to most people's surprise.

Curious what you all have to say about his deal now??

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Haven't been on this forum in a long time and I just wanted to come back to this thread and see what others were saying about this deal for Sergachev. Lots of negative "Overpay", and "Bolts got hosed" type of comments.

Well, after he played this season, I think it's fair to say JBB knows exactly what he's doing. Turns out this contract is going to look like a steal too.. to most people's surprise.

Curious what you all have to say about his deal now??
What I have to say is that it looks a lot better now than it did then. Sergachev's talent and skating ability was never questioned by anyone, but his head for the game was still very much an open question. In the defense of fans who were concerned, we weren't privy to the inside dealings with Sergy, we only saw the often very costly mistakes. Both JBB and Coop had the benefit of dealing with him on a personal level and therefore they had insights into his maturity and future upside that no one here had access to. We only saw the results at the time. So thanks very much for your 20/20 hindsight update and challenge to us all but whatever fans were saying at the time was defensible at the very least.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
What I have to say is that it looks a lot better now than it did then. Sergachev's talent and skating ability was never questioned by anyone, but his head for the game was still very much an open question. In the defense of fans who were concerned, we weren't privy to the inside dealings with Sergy, we only saw the often very costly mistakes. Both JBB and Coop had the benefit of dealing with him on a personal level and therefore they had insights into his maturity and future upside that no one here had access to. We only saw the results at the time. So thanks very much for your 20/20 hindsight update and challenge to us all but whatever fans were saying at the time was defensible at the very least.
There was no challenge. I was just curious how people were feeling about the deal now. No need to be so defensive.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Sergy is still growing and with it has shown growing pains here and there, not unlike Heddys trajectory at a similar age. Sergy is in a great place.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Serge hasn't had a great start to the playoffs so far. His biggest weakness in my opinion continues to be his plays with the puck in our zone.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Serge hasn't had a great start to the playoffs so far. His biggest weakness in my opinion continues to be his plays with the puck in our zone.
He played like 25mins game 1 and I'm not sure about last night but no complaints really. He went from LD3 last year to suddenly our #1 this playoff (and for most of the season). Kind of unfair to criticize him now when the back end is shambolic and he's doing his best.

Reactions: Volodya Krutov

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
He played like 25mins game 1 and I'm not sure about last night but no complaints really. He went from LD3 last year to suddenly our #1 this playoff (and for most of the season). Kind of unfair to criticize him now when the back end is shambolic and he's doing his best.
He averaged almost 24 minutes a game in the regular season, but he's probably facing top lines more now when perhaps Hedman's or Cernak's pair may been facing the top unit.

But my specific criticism was on the problem he's had all year - making bad plays with the puck in our zone, which is a fundamental part of playing the position. He's got 441 games of regular season experience and 94 games of playoff experience. To continue seeing him make that mistake is concerning, not sure why you consider that to be unfair. He's taken a big stride forward this year in other areas, but he still needs to improve with the puck in our zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad