Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev - Part 2

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You guys think he's better than Hedman at this point in comparison to where Hedman was? I get they had different coaches and teams. Just curious.

Yes, even though Hedman played on weaker teams he was never misused - he was just slower to develop, his development curve those first 3 years was slow as molasses, then it all of a sudden just clicked.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yes, even though Hedman played on weaker teams he was never misused - he was just slower to develop, his development curve those first 3 years was slow as molasses, then it all of a sudden just clicked.

Can you really say Sergachev is better though? I wouldn't say Hedman was misused either he was just used much differently. Sergachev has been sheltered much more than Hedman ever was, so it's not a complete apples to apples comparison. Hedman came in and was playing pretty much playing top pair, top PK from day 1 with 2nd PP time. Sergachev didn't see the PK till this year, has been mostly on the bottom pair and got PP 2 time. Offensively Sergachev is ahead but again the team was scoring at a much higher clip his ELC years compared to Hedman. If you switched both players I believe Hedman would be doing what Sergachev is now, if not much better, and I don't believe Sergachev would hold up playing those tough minutes Hedman had to. I don't think it took Hedman time to click, I just think he wasn't asked to have it click right away, they wanted him to play defense first. I mean the team needed that a hell of a lot more than offense.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Can you really say Sergachev is better though? I wouldn't say Hedman was misused either he was just used much differently. Sergachev has been sheltered much more than Hedman ever was, so it's not a complete apples to apples comparison. Hedman came in and was playing pretty much playing top pair, top PK from day 1 with 2nd PP time. Sergachev didn't see the PK till this year, has been mostly on the bottom pair and got PP 2 time. Offensively Sergachev is ahead but again the team was scoring at a much higher clip his ELC years compared to Hedman. If you switched both players I believe Hedman would be doing what Sergachev is now, if not much better, and I don't believe Sergachev would hold up playing those tough minutes Hedman had to. I don't think it took Hedman time to click, I just think he wasn't asked to have it click right away, they wanted him to play defense first. I mean the team needed that a hell of a lot more than offense.

I don't think 3rd year Hedman was nearly as offensively capable as Sergachev right now nor is he nearly as physical. Hedman back then was butter soft, he played a lot of minutes but his defensive game was pretty meh. I definitely think it took awhile for him to click, he essentially had the green light to play offense from day 1 but aside from some beauty rushes few and far between there wasn't a whole lot there.

That being said, I think Sergachev definitely got a fast track in development for a player like him because he had the luxury of being sheltered behind a deep team and would not have thrived or gotten good quite as quick in the enviroment of the 2009-2012 Lightning.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You guys think he's better than Hedman at this point in comparison to where Hedman was? I get they had different coaches and teams. Just curious.
At the same age yeah, Serge is definitely better but he is going to be hard pressed to explode defensively the same way Hedman did. No sooner than he started getting a hang of the NHL level he just woke up one day and decided "by the way I'm top 5 in the league"

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I don't think 3rd year Hedman was nearly as offensively capable as Sergachev right now nor is he nearly as physical. Hedman back then was butter soft, he played a lot of minutes but his defensive game was pretty meh. I definitely think it took awhile for him to click, he essentially had the green light to play offense from day 1 but aside from some beauty rushes few and far between there wasn't a whole lot there.

That being said, I think Sergachev definitely got a fast track in development for a player like him because he had the luxury of being sheltered behind a deep team and would not have thrived or gotten good quite as quick in the enviroment of the 2009-2012 Lightning.
In any case? You lucky bastards have both of them LOL!

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Are you guys able to sign him with a flat cap?

Yes, it just makes him signing a cheap bridge, like most fans expected, even more likely. You no longer can compare other bridge or long term deals signed recently because those were under the impression the cap would steadily rise. Now he can sign a two or three year bridge, depending on how long the cap will stay flat, then get his big payday. Now a team can go crazy and offer a massive offersheet to him but with a flat cap I can't see too many teams signing any big contracts this year or next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->