Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev - Part 2

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
If you were impressed by him last game, you should see what he's like when he's not playing like shit.
I was just commenting on his development from when I last saw him, I was impressed by him, his quickness for one, I think that he is going to be a really strong NHL D for a very long time. When did the word "shit" become allowed on HF? I am seeing shit everywhere.

Reactions: cphabs

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Kucherov has this weird ability to make everyone he plays with better and worse at the same time.

Yeah, I get that he's a point producing machine so guys want to get him the puck but it seems like they forget their own abilities at the same time. Stamkos, the guy with the 2nd highest career GPG rate in the NHL continuously passes up shots to feed Kucherov. I think guys who are more assertive in their play like Hedman and Point do well with him because they see him as an option not as target.

Reactions: Loki Dekker

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Hello CP, I came here to post the same thing but you beat me to it lol. I watched the Leafs and Tampa last night and I was very impressed with Sergachev, what a damn fool Bergevin was to do that deal! We had no LD and he gave up our future 1D for a pouty little winger that has not been very impressive.

Tampa fans, I enjoyed watching Serg, he is really developing nicely.
Scary part? He’s only 21 and improving every year. His defensive game is going to be all star level by 23 IMO. Happy for the kid! Drouin sucks big time...

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Slow day at work so I lurked a bit on the Habs board:

Drouin also doesn't seem like the toughest of guys. He still has to find his game at the NHL level, as he is often guessing out there. He gets points down the line, but his overall play is poor. Can't beat everyone 1 on 1 like in junior and can't make low percentage pass an habit.

Imagine - six seasons after he was drafted... saying he has to "find his game at the NHL level" without a trace of irony.

My god this might have been Yzerman's best trade, even including the Bishop trade.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Remember when all the Bruins fan on this board were saying that McAvoy was and would be a better Dman than Serg? Give me Serg with his size, strength, creativity and mean streak every day of the week!

Reactions: The Gongshow

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's amazing how fast this guy develops, a lot areas of concern from a year ago have been addressed. Pointed this out a couple years ago just from gauging his interviews and how much he "restrained" himself those first 20 games as a rookie in order to earn Cooper's trust, you can just tell that he's a smart, coach-able player. Him and Drouin actually have a lot in common, they're both flashy and prone to dumb mistakes but their biggest difference is how they learn from it. Drouin will repeat the same thing over and over while Sergachev adjusts.

To me, his 2 biggest weaknesses were his lackluster and passive board play which is now probably one of the strongest areas of his game and something that took Hedman 5 years to develop. The other was the urgency coming out of his own zone with the puck, guy would get pick-pocketed regularly because he was so casual coming up, watch him closely now - he takes a quick steps coming out from behind the net then looks for a play.

I think the biggest thing for him to develop now is to be more assertive in the offensive zone and take control, he should be quarterbacking plays not defaulting to the star forwards - especially Kucherov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad