Speculation: Mikhail Grigorenko

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
looks to be breaking out in the KHL
30-10-21-31 +25

He’s three years older then Kirill Kaprizov who plays on the same team and many consider to be a top 10 prospect (31-14-9-23 +21)

Can Grigorenko be a 10-15G 35-40A player... I think he’ll get another shot at the nhl

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm sure he will want to come back eventually, I always wanted him to succeed on the Avs, but he just doesn't play an NHL game despite his talent level objectively being NHL caliber. A lot of teams play an aggressive, up-tempo style these days and Grigo just doesn't have that in him. He's a slow, deliberate, cerebral type and that kind of game is just made for the KHL and the big ice.

Reactions: cgf

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Many Russians who fail in the NHL "break out" in the KHL, mainly because it's bigger ice, less physical and the talent drop off is huge. I don't ever see this guy being a top 9 forward on a competitive NHL team.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Larger rinks provide more time to react.

Mikhail had trouble reading the NHL game.

This is no breakout for him; rather a reflection of situation...

As opposed to someone like Panarin who's hockey IQ is lazer like...

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He said many, not all.

Kind of like Slepyshev, Nesterov, Kalinin, Plotnikov, Belov, Tikhonov, Daugavins, Zubov, Shirokov, Medvedev, Sekac, Lander, Loktionov, Kontiola, Shipachyov, etc

And that's just the current players...

And I can name Panarin, Dadonov, Kempny, Koskinen... alright, some of them didn't play in the NHL before KHL, but still came to big league as ready players and not prospects.

Grigorenko has improved his game significantly and matured. He's always had a talent, he just wasn't ready mentally, and being the KHL leading team leader can help him a lot.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
And I can name Panarin, Dadonov, Kempny, Koskinen... alright, some of them didn't play in the NHL before KHL, but still came to big league as ready players and not prospects.

Grigorenko has improved his game significantly and matured. He's always had a talent, he just wasn't ready mentally, and being the KHL leading team leader can help him a lot.

You named 4 including a #6d and a backup. I named 15... seems much more likely hes just better in a lesser league.

Reactions: LeonDraisaitl

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I always thought Grigorenko was on the cusp of breaking out. When he played on the Avs he had some pretty ridiculous stats when you broke them down. Something ridiculous like 85% of players he played with had better production with Grigorenko than they did away from him. This always made me argue that he deserved more ice time but the compete level was just never there to earn it.

Grigo was the smartest player on the Avs while he was there. His offensive skill set was crazy good. But he was the straight up perfect definition of a perimeter player. He didn’t engage in battles, refused to go in any area where there’s contact. Coaches are never going to put that guy on the ice.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I always thought Grigorenko was on the cusp of breaking out. When he played on the Avs he had some pretty ridiculous stats when you broke them down. Something ridiculous like 85% of players he played with had better production with Grigorenko than they did away from him. This always made me argue that he deserved more ice time but the compete level was just never there to earn it.

Grigo was the smartest player on the Avs while he was there. His offensive skill set was crazy good. But he was the straight up perfect definition of a perimeter player. He didn’t engage in battles, refused to go in any area where there’s contact. Coaches are never going to put that guy on the ice.

I think I'd have to throw the word consistently in there somewhere. The guy could have made money in the NHL on his ability in front of the net alone. Of course, when he'd go there. Which he did more of in his final season.

I wouldn't exactly say he avoided certain areas of the ice (which is probably true to an extent just a little harsh IMO), but he just couldn't adjust his mentality to a slightly more aggressive style consistently. I think it was more mental, and stylistic approach than having to do with avoiding contact. It was interesting too because when they could get him mixing it up in traffic his hands made him absolutely lethal.

The guy really could have been the Russian version of Coots if he had been able to take a more aggressive approach and used his body to his advantage. Even just one notch if consistently. Very good two way player as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
looks to be breaking out in the KHL
30-10-21-31 +25

He’s three years older then Kirill Kaprizov who plays on the same team and many consider to be a top 10 prospect (31-14-9-23 +21)

Can Grigorenko be a 10-15G 35-40A player... I think he’ll get another shot at the nhl

Let's not get all coo coo for coco puffs for a guy that plays in a league that Nigel Dawes is near the top of the goal scoring and points totals year after year

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Greg needs a couple of seasons of seeing himself getting high level results to regain his self-belief/swagger, which in turn will make it easier to keep him engaged & not checked-out-and-down-on-himself the next time he tries to take a run at the NHL. The talent is there, the hockey IQ is there, and the defense is there to make up for his lack of speed or physicality, but it only works at the NHL level when he's busting his ass and fully engaged.

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Let's not get all coo coo for coco puffs for a guy that plays in a league that Nigel Dawes is near the top of the goal scoring and points totals year after year

You mean the league that saw Panarin & Radulov rip the NHL up right away after coming over from? It's a different game and #s need to be assessed in context, but that doesn't mean that there haven't been serious talents in the KHL. I haven't been following it since Radu & the breadman came over, but people used these exact same arguments against those two stars every time we would try to explain to non-KHL-watchers why those two were different.
He said many, not all.

Kind of like Slepyshev, Nesterov, Kalinin, Plotnikov, Belov, Tikhonov, Daugavins, Zubov, Shirokov, Medvedev, Sekac, Lander, Loktionov, Kontiola, Shipachyov, etc

And that's just the current players...

That whole Ship situation is still so confusing to me. Can't say I was high on any of those other names you've listed, but Ship & Mozyakin were the two KHLers I was sure could be NHL stars, like Radu & Panarin were proving themselves to be, if they ever wanted to come to america.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad