Mikhail Grigorenko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
How would Grigorenko justify to the adjudicators that he is anywhere near worth 1.65 million per? Talk about delusions of granduer.

He should just sign what is offered, and be thankful a club is giving him an extended shot on top lines, where most others wouldn't.

He needs to showcase the reason The Sabres drafted him so high.

So far, his progression and ability have not lived up to expectations.

950k is more than fair, and Sakic is spot on there.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
How would Grigorenko justify to the adjudicators that he is anywhere near worth 1.65 million per? Talk about delusions of granduer.

He should just sign what is offered, and be thankful a club is giving him an extended shot on top lines, where most others wouldn't.

He needs to showcase the reason The Sabres drafted him so high.

So far, his progression and ability have not lived up to expectations.

950k is more than fair, and Sakic is spot on there.

Simply because there are comparable players.
These arbitration numbers always are the two ends of the spectrum. Management aims lower than expected, player aims higher, and you meet somewhere in the middle.

Adam Lowry just signed for 1.125M and Grigs has better numbers. It would make sense for him to get anywhere between 1.1 and 1.4.

Tom Wilson is another good example. Career 50pts in 231 GP. Just signed for 2 years at 2 per.
There's no delusions in his ask. Seems pretty reasonable actually.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The player asks are always high. I'm absolutely sure Grigo doesn't expect 1.65m, but he is going to ask high to get closer to what he wants. The Avs set the mark at something they can bury, no coincidence there. I don't think this hits arbitration though, I'm expecting a deal tomorrow.

Adam Lowry just signed for 1.125M and Grigs has better numbers. It would make sense for him to get anywhere between 1.1 and 1.4.

We just went through this... their number are not really different. Lowry scores more goals, Grigo has more points. Similar games played over their careers. Lowry is a more established player.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
$1.6 M is all he's asking for? Jeez I thought it'd be 2ish or above, just sign the guy he'll put up 30 points at worse with 2-way play. Probably more this season.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
$1.6 M is all he's asking for? Jeez I thought it'd be 2ish or above, just sign the guy he'll put up 30 points at worse with 2-way play. Probably more this season.

Yeah, let's end negotiations.
Let give the players the money they want.

Nope.

1mil should be fair for 1 year. 1.2 for two. Max.
Gotta leave some space.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The player asks are always high. I'm absolutely sure Grigo doesn't expect 1.65m, but he is going to ask high to get closer to what he wants. The Avs set the mark at something they can bury, no coincidence there. I don't think this hits arbitration though, I'm expecting a deal tomorrow.

We just went through this... their number are not really different. Lowry scores more goals, Grigo has more points. Similar games played over their careers. Lowry is a more established player.

There are plenty of players to go through.
Tom Wilson
Adam Lowry
Dmitri jaskin
Jason zucker
All ranging from 1 to 2 M.

Sure, not all the same. But there's enough in there to get more than your estimated 800k and more into the lower 1s.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Go Grigs, prove me right and get closer to 1.6 mil!

Probably settles right in the middle at 1.2 mil for a year I guess. I'd prefer 1.2 mil this year and 1.6 mil next year for 1.4 mil AAV.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There are plenty of players to go through.
Tom Wilson
Adam Lowry
Dmitri jaskin
Jason zucker
All ranging from 1 to 2 M.

Sure, not all the same. But there's enough in there to get more than your estimated 800k and more into the lower 1s.

Well, 800k isn't happening with the Avs' ask on that. That is clear. It is just about the difference between the .950 and 1.6... there are comparables on both sides of that for Grigo.

We all just saw this morning that the player ask is always high and the team ask is always low for what teams are shooting for. Meeting in the middle is more likely and it likely has some term to it. If this gets settled, I'm betting on a 1 or 3 year deal. 1 year will be towards the low end, and a 3 year will be towards the high end.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Wonder if he settles on a 2 year deal to get the AAV down. I don't think the Avs can go much over 1M and bring in another forward.

3 years takes him to UFA, I don't think they want to do that, no?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Wonder if he settles on a 2 year deal to get the AAV down. I don't think the Avs can go much over 1M and bring in another forward.

I guess it depends on what you think Barrie will get on his deal.

It has to be a 1 or 2 year deal. Grigs will bet on himself now that he has opportunity, and the Avs can't reasonably give him enough on a long term deal for this year's cap situation.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

It gets tight over a million, but depending on how the defense shapes up, they may only go with 7D.

I don't think it does. Grigo shouldn't have gotten an accrued season in 13-14 (or in 14-15) so he should have at least 4 accrued seasons to go.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I'll go 1.2 x2 tomorrow afternoon.

I could see that.

Under no circumstances should Grigorenko's agent take this to arbitration. I can see a lot of nasty stuff being said and that could ruin the relationship he has with Roy and the team.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Grigorenko should be happy with the 950k. He's not worth $1.6m

I don't understand why people feel this way. Sven Baertschi received 2 years @ 1.85 AAV for one season of comparable numbers. Melker Karlsson got 2 years @ 1.625 AAV for one season of comparable numbers last year. Two years of 30 and 35 points was enough for the Wild to lock Coyle down for 5 years @ 3.2mil AAV. Lance Bouma got 2 years @ 2.2mil AAV for two years of service and only 45 points combined.

Grigorenko getting a 2 year deal around 1.6mil AAV is pretty much right in line with the market. If he gets a 1 year deal then we need to be looking at locking him up longer term at a lower value next year.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I don't understand why people feel this way. Sven Baertschi received 2 years @ 1.85 AAV for one season of comparable numbers. Melker Karlsson got 2 years @ 1.625 AAV for one season of comparable numbers last year. Two years of 30 and 35 points was enough for the Wild to lock Coyle down for 5 years @ 3.2mil AAV. Lance Bouma got 2 years @ 2.2mil AAV for two years of service and only 45 points combined.

Grigorenko getting a 2 year deal around 1.6mil AAV is pretty much right in line with the market. If he gets a 1 year deal then we need to be looking at locking him up longer term at a lower value next year.

Sven Baertschi is a good choice. Their production and age are similar. I think Baertschi has a bad contract though and I hope the Avs don't get stuck with that too.

Karlsson put up similar points in about 20 fewer games and has a much better all around game.

Coyle is a far better player than Girgorenko.

What does Grigorenko in is his lack of urgency in his play. He shows little to no interest in battling for the puck. Combine that with his skating and you have two glaring holes in his game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Grigo will argue points, but the Avs will argue goals (if it goes to arbitration, I really don't think it will)... the Avs will win that argument. Grigo's 6 goals will hurt his case in comparison.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Grigo will argue points, but the Avs will argue goals (if it goes to arbitration, I really don't think it will)... the Avs will win that argument. Grigo's 6 goals will hurt his case in comparison.

Assists lead to goals. Grigorenko has that creative vision that it takes to be a good playmaker on the ice, not just a secondary assist machine.

Not trying to be argumentative, so hopefully people don't take it that way. I just see a good young player getting undervalued here.

This is the opposite way I felt about Pickard, I saw him closer to 1mil than the 2mil some around here bandied about. Not due to value perception, but due to market. Grigs is a market standard 1.6mil player. Avs will get that lower, hopefully not at the detriment to the relationship or at the ability to lock him up longer come next season or two.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Assists lead to goals. Grigorenko has that creative vision that it takes to be a good playmaker on the ice, not just a secondary assist machine.

Not trying to be argumentative, so hopefully people don't take it that way. I just see a good young player getting undervalued here.

This is the opposite way I felt about Pickard, I saw him closer to 1mil than the 2mil some around here bandied about. Not due to value perception, but due to market. Grigs is a market standard 1.6mil player. Avs will get that lower, hopefully not at the detriment to the relationship or at the ability to lock him up longer come next season or two.

Yeah, assists lead to goals, but by nature in the NHL, goals are more valuable than assists. Decidedly so too. A player that puts up 25g-15a is more valuable than a player that puts up 15g-25a. That is just the way the NHL operates. Players that don't hit 10 goals, don't typically get paid much at all.

I personally have no issue with any semi-reasonable contract for Grigo... I don't think he has an arbitration case that points to the high end of the ask. If Grigo wants that much, or near it, term has to come along with it... 3 years is probably reasonable for both sides. If Grigo isn't willing to have term on the deal, then it either goes to arbitration or the Avs go to the low end and accept that they may have to pay him double or triple next summer (to them that would be a good problem to have since he would have developed into what they want).

BK Avs

Nov 29, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
If this does go to arbitration (I don't think it will), does the mediator have to pick one of the two proposals, or can something in the middle be the award?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad