Mikhail Grigorenko

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If he can get his skating to a NHL level we got a player. If he doesn't, well we don't.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I think he has to play in the NHL next year? He's probably looked at to be our 3C or something like that. I think he has a lot of talent and could be an awesome piece for a long time too.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Zadorov has been added to the Avs roster on their website but Grigorenko isn't there. I wonder if they are going to deal him tomorrow??

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'm sure it's just an oversight. Sakic has already said he's going to help the PP, and if there's a coach in the league that may get something from him, it's Roy.

It'll be interesting to see where he plays in the lineup next year.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
Some Roy notes on Grogorenko from before this trade:

I think he’s learning,†Roy told the Buffalo News. “Some players develop faster than others. I’m sure the expectations are very high for him in Buffalo, but Grigo has a lot of skills, has a lot of hockey sense.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/29/patrick-roy-remains-upbeat-about-sabres-grigorenko/

And another article with some good quotes:

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/pa...t-mikhail-grigorenko-struggling-at-nhl-level/

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
IMO, Grigorenko will quickly usurp the position of 2C from Soderberg. Soderberg may be big but he has limited upside, everyone knows this. Grigorenko will flourish in his new role, on a winning team, under a coach who cares about him. I'm pumped.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/06/26/trade-moves-oreilly-to-center-stage-with-sabres/
Drafted 12th overall in 2012, Grigorenko had six goals and 14 points in 68 games with Buffalo during a wild three seasons. He twice started the year in Buffalo before being sent back to juniors. He had 14 goals and 36 points in 43 games with Rochester last season.

“We weren’t willing to do a one-way contract,†Murray said. “We weren’t willing to say he was developing as a hockey player. Now he goes to a place that wanted him, a place he’s certainly familiar with the head coach having had him in junior hockey. Let’s hope for the best for him there.â€

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
If he can get his skating to a NHL level we got a player. If he doesn't, well we don't.

His skating really isn't that bad. I'd say it's decidedly average if not a little better. He's no Hodgson. :laugh:

Grigorenko's biggest issue on the Sabres was his relative passiveness right up until his last callup. He seemed absolutely petrified of fighting for pucks along the boards and in the corners.

That said, his vision is absolutely off the charts and his shot is sneaky good. Put him in a position to succeed (ie, NOT playing 4th line minutes with 3rd line AHL guys) and I think he'll grow nicely.

Also, the defensive side to his game also improved rather dramatically this year. He was generally in the right places at the right time. More strength on his man will help, but that just takes time.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Put this kid next to two big monsters and they could make a formidable line. Maybe a 3rd line of Everberg-Grigorenko-Rantanen?

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Put this kid next to two big monsters and they could make a formidable line. Maybe a 3rd line of Everberg-Grigorenko-Rantanen?

I'm not sure they'd be very good defensively and that's a line that has 0 experience as well in the NHL.

I'd love to see Grigorenko play well and get that 2nd line spot so that Soderberg can play between Everberg and Rantanen.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
So far all I read from sabres fans is that his defensive game is pretty decent. While im sure Roy wants Freakarenko to bring the offense I think he will gladly just take some solid two way play for now.
Im just wondering who his wingers will be. Id like to see him with Tangs and Everberg.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Really the only part of the trade I'm iffy about. He was a high pick and is very talented but there's just something missing there. Hasn't impressed at all at the NHL level, even though he wasn't given much of a chance by the Sabres. Still only 21 though so maybe it'll happen.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Roy likes his hockey sense and talent level. Roy hates his lack of compete for the puck.

Hopefully it will click for Grigorenko and he wants to be a NHL player bad enough that he's willing to get out of his comfort zone. If not, he'll Wolski his way to the KHL and put up some points because even if he just goes as far as his talent takes him it's enough to be a decent KHLer.

A small positive sign was that he did seem to take some steps forward defensively in the AHL last year.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
This kid was really jerked around by Buffalo the first couple of years of his career. I'm not convinced we have a long term NHL player here but I'd sure like to see him come in with a chip on his shoulder to prove his detractors wrong. He certainly has the talent, but as Freudian notes, shares a few too many commonalities with a guy like Wolski. Let's see what a change of scenery and a coach he had a good relationship with can do.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I hope he comes in with that "I'll show you" chip on his shoulder.

Some players really respond well when they feel a team gave up on them or never gave them a chance.

After having a nights sleep, I've decided to put away my skepticism on him for now. Although if they flipped him for a piece I like better or some more picks, I wouldn't be upset :)

edit: Nihiliste beat me to it above

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Do you think so, can he?

I do... I don't know the kid or anything, but people say he is a worker and the lazy thing is not carried off the ice. I don't think he will be an elite player, but he has a solid chance to be a top 6 player IMO.

His skating really isn't that bad. I'd say it's decidedly average if not a little better. He's no Hodgson. :laugh:

Grigorenko's biggest issue on the Sabres was his relative passiveness right up until his last callup. He seemed absolutely petrified of fighting for pucks along the boards and in the corners.

That said, his vision is absolutely off the charts and his shot is sneaky good. Put him in a position to succeed (ie, NOT playing 4th line minutes with 3rd line AHL guys) and I think he'll grow nicely.

Also, the defensive side to his game also improved rather dramatically this year. He was generally in the right places at the right time. More strength on his man will help, but that just takes time.

I'm lower on his skating that you are, but you are totally right, he's no Hodgson!

I think his passiveness will go away with confidence... the kid has some real talent and knows the game really well, boom or bust for the Avs in this deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->