Confirmed with Link: Mikhail Grigorenko signs with CBJ (1 year, 1.2M)

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
This is another example of Jarmo trying to prove himself as this super Euro scout who can find bargains in Europe without paying established NHL players the going rate. It is this attitude, I am convinced, that will prevent the Jackets from being legit Cup contenders in the foreseeable future. It is all about Jarmo proving to the world how great he is, not about providing the fans with a Cup contender.
Since Jarmo has been in Columbus, they have put some of the best teams in franchise history on the ice. They have been legit contenders the last few years. This years team had a lot of people complaining about how bad they are and how bad the coaching is, and yet they were in position to make the playoffs for the 4th straight year. Jarmo has done a fine job.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Are you being sarcastic? Do you really want him fired?

If you really want him fired, I would be interested to know if you view this as a "fire-able offense" as a stand alone matter, or do you view this as a "last straw" type of thing. Really curious to know what's behind your post.

Yes old guy, sarcasm. Quite frankly, Jarmo has made many of the same exact tough decisions I would have, involving trading or letting some "fan favorites", "leaders" and "best players" walk, while making the team clearly better. Just always a bit slow, IMO.

I knew there would be at least 1 person who would take this chance to make a ridiculous overly negative comment about Jarmo and his entire work as a GM. Was the same guy as usual though.

To add to the actual signing, you could easily make the case that it is Jarmo doing something positive by continuing to go out of his way to be more than willing to invest time and resources to build somewhat of a "confidence", or for lack of better term, "relationship" with professional hockey players from Russia, along with making the current Russian guys in the organization more comfortable.

Horton thing was a disater and dumb however.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I knew there would be at least 1 person who would take this chance to make a ridiculous overly negative comment about Jarmo and his entire work as a GM. Was the same guy as usual though.

Don’t let it get to you. There are some posters that you can just predict what they would say before they even say it, who you just know are going to have an opinion about a certain topic or who have a certain MO and never stray from it.

But you just learn to live with it. Because they, like most posters, often, or at least every so often, have insight or something of value to add to the conversation so don’t throw out the baby with the bath water.

Indeed, there’s probably a poster sitting somewhere reading this saying “I knew DSL was gonna post something like that”.

And it’s probably Cyclones. And they’re probably gonna give me shit about it. But it’s all good and in the end we’re still internet buds.

squarelaces

Aug 6, 2005
DSL let's test your theory. I think that when we start playing Wennberg will be one of, if not our best player.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Does anyone know if he can sign now/is planning on doing so soon? I thought I’d read the deal could be made official July 1. Is that incorrect/is it not allowed until after the season officially ends? If not incorrect, should we be worried?

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Does anyone know if he can sign now/is planning on doing so soon? I thought I’d read the deal could be made official July 1. Is that incorrect/is it not allowed until after the season officially ends? If not incorrect, should we be worried?
I think they said July 1st because that's when free agency usually begins. Obviously that got pushed back so I'm assuming he can't sign until the new signing period opens up.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
It may be a little more complicated now as Free Agency was pushed to November 1st. If he wants to play in the NHL then he needs to wait until then. If he simply wants to play hockey he may choose to sign with the KHL or other league. I'm hoping he sticks with CBJ and we see if he can offer enough to help the PP and chip in on offense. There's also the impact to a flat Cap for next year. Don't think the will impact someone like him. I believe it was a 1yr, $1.2MM deal. I wouldn't think that would change. Still a good deal in my opinion

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't know what to expect from Grigo. He was basically a 4C in his last appearance in the league. His scoring took off in the KHL but that league has gone downhill. Grigo had a slightly better scoring pace than Lukas Sedlak.

Does the FO think he's going to be a possible 2C? Do they think he's added depth, similar level to Wennberg/Shore/Nash?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't know what to expect from Grigo. He was basically a 4C in his last appearance in the league. His scoring took off in the KHL but that league has gone downhill. Grigo had a slightly better scoring pace than Lukas Sedlak.

Does the FO think he's going to be a possible 2C? Do they think he's added depth, similar level to Wennberg/Shore/Nash?
I think they're going to give him a try and see.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

He’s a great player, I didn’t realize he stopped playing C so I don’t know if they will give him a try there. Skill wise he’s much better than those 3 mentioned.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He’s a great player, I didn’t realize he stopped playing C so I don’t know if they will give him a try there. Skill wise he’s much better than those 3 mentioned.

Are you telling me that he hasn't been playing center? I didn't mean to suggest that, if that's where you picked that up.

Skills wise Wennberg is pretty good, he just doesn't have good scoring instincts, and that's the same thing people would have said about Grigo a few years ago.

Are you Russian, ViD? I'd be curious to know more about how Grigo has played internationally the last few years. It looks like he has played a real role on the Russian Olympic team and World Championship teams.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Not sure what he was in Russia but I think when he was in the NHL he eventually was moved to RW. Im sure the team would love for him to be a solution at center and maybe that way Tex can stay and help out our weak left side but I have my doubts thats where he will find success.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Are you telling me that he hasn't been playing center? I didn't mean to suggest that, if that's where you picked that up.

Skills wise Wennberg is pretty good, he just doesn't have good scoring instincts, and that's the same thing people would have said about Grigo a few years ago.

Are you Russian, ViD? I'd be curious to know more about how Grigo has played internationally the last few years. It looks like he has played a real role on the Russian Olympic team and World Championship teams.
Yeah, he’s been one of the best players in the KHL recently but he was playing a wing mostly

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
His scoring took off in the KHL but that league has gone downhill.

Where do you get this stuff from? I think you mistake wishful thinking of NA journalists for facts.

On the other hand it's the NHL that has made scoring easier with all the rule and reffing changes and it should benefit Grigorenko who never was a physical guy. Playoffs aside I think the KHL is the league with more physicality right now.

Grigo had a slightly better scoring pace than Lukas Sedlak.

.87 PPG as opposed to .7 PPG is not a slightly better scoring pace.

It is also quite misleading for two players in completely different situations. CSKA has way more talent and spreads scoring quite a bit, while Sedlak was a leading scorer on a team sharing the last place in the conference. Sedlak probably would not have made the CSKA's top6 and would probably have like 20 pts less if he was on the same team as Grigorenko.

Does the FO think he's going to be a possible 2C?

If they do, they are mistaken.

1.Grigorenko has not played center in ages. His resurgence is mostly due to moving to the wing.

2.A better comparison is that: Linden Vey was Grigorenko's center and has scored a sligtly better .92 PPG. Is Linden Vey a viable 2C option in the NHL?

3.Make no mistake, Minesota is taking home the big prize here. Kaprizov was the by far best player on the team and on that line. Most of that line's and 1PP unit's success is on Kaprizov's resume. I am not saying Grigorenko was useless, but he was definitely not that superstar in the league.

Do they think he's added depth, similar level to Wennberg/Shore/Nash?

That's more accurate. Grigorenko might take off in the NHL as a value depth player for the middle6... or not.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I think this is such a low risk, high reward signing. He clearly has a very good skill level and the intent appears to be to use that skill on the PP - where CBJ clearly need some help. I would liken this signing to that of Gagne from a few years back. Can play bottom 6 minutes with PP time - certainly at the start - and earn more time as he shows he's capable. The changes in the NHL game to a more possession/skill game will help as well. CBJ has enough players with size and grit to support each line. I think he's a great option to spend little capital on. If he doesn't work out, it's not an issue. Even as a Devin Short replacement it's a big step up - lower contract, higher skill and a planned fit (PP). Such a good move in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad