Celebrity Death: Mikhail Gorbachev dead at 91

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto

Okay I know he isn’t a “celebrity”, but I couldn’t find a better place to put this and this is a pretty significant one. If mods don’t find it appropriate, feel free to take it down.
To me a celeb is anyone who is known by a lot of people in the general public so Gorby is absolutely a celeb in that case. He was a great world leader who chose peace over violence and freedom of the people over party interest, and for those reasons his legacy will live on in a positive light.

RIP

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Ok I'll give you that but he still did a lot of not so nice stuff before that.

That's Putin's fault but I guess Gorbachev was a Putin supporter if I recall over Yeltsin at the time.
There's some conflicting reports on whether he believed in Putin's recent policies.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Gorbachev will forever be a personal reminder on perspective. Growing up in the U.S. in the 80s I’ve always viewed him and his actions as being good. Visited Russia a few years ago and as a dumb American, I’m like “Gorbachev, pretty good right?” And the majority of response I got was a very firm no, largely for the economic turmoil that resulted after the breakup of the USSR.

Being older and wiser I have a much better grasp on the complexities of decisions on the world stage that folks like Gorbachev had to make.

I’m not making a statement on the goodness or badness of Gorbachev and his actions, but I’m always going to remember my discussions there and the sharp contrast to my thoughts formed by growing up very American. Just found it interesting.

Werner Herzog did a documentary on Gorbachev a few years ago that I thought was pretty solid.

RIP

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
There's some conflicting reports on whether he believed in Putin's recent policies.

He was pro-Crimea but yes, nobody was sure if he was for or against Ukraine.

Maybe not the recent ones but at the time he was part of the group that was backing Putin and wanted Yeltsin out.

Which I get, since Yelstin pushed him out originally after Gorbachev pretty much pushed him up the ranks.

Side note - he is a former Grammy winner, so this thread kind of belongs here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad