Confirmed with Link: Mikhail Berdin signs ELC

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That's great news. It's illegal for players to sign out clauses to the NHL in the K, must mean we have a good relationship with them, to get that assurance. Maybe it's the beginning of a crossover game with them, harkening back to the old days.

I'd like to see Berdin as our backup next season, it's good to see what he can do in the NHL, especially after the year of the Russian goalie.

He won't get much playing time with Askerov as their staring goalie.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That's great news. It's illegal for players to sign out clauses to the NHL in the K, must mean we have a good relationship with them, to get that assurance. Maybe it's the beginning of a crossover game with them, harkening back to the old days.

I'd like to see Berdin as our backup next season, it's good to see what he can do in the NHL, especially after the year of the Russian goalie.

I think loaning out a player is actually different than actually signing a KHL contract. He is under contract with the Jets so he can't sign a KHL contract he can however be loaned to any other league in the world.

Reactions: voyageur

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He won't get much playing time with Askerov as their staring goalie.

KHL very rarely goes head first with young goalie, especially a team like SKA St. Pete. They probably have like 5 or 6 goalies in the system at a time and will rotate starts. Berdin likely won't get starter minutes but he will likely be used heavily in the rotation.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
KHL very rarely goes head first with young goalie, especially a team like SKA St. Pete. They probably have like 5 or 6 goalies in the system at a time and will rotate starts. Berdin likely won't get starter minutes but he will likely be used heavily in the rotation.

Well I hope he get enough minutes.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He'll get more minutes there than here, anyway. I think we have to lower our development expectations for the foreseeable future.

Yeah honestly we should be loaning out anyone willing to go to Europe right now. Guys like Heinola, Samberg (if he'd go), Stanley (if he'd go), Green (if he'd go), Gustaffson (if he'd go). Basically anyone that is willing to head to Europe to play should be going there. Getting minutes and being in prime game shape when they come back could be really solid for them to hit the ground running when training camp starts up.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Does anyone else think Arvid Holm might be a better prospect than Berdin, or is it just me?

Reactions: hn777

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Does anyone else think Arvid Holm might be a better prospect than Berdin, or is it just me?

Only way to find out is to play him on the Moose. If we let Berdin back up Hellebuyck, we could have Holm platoon with Comrie.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I really, really hope we get to see him in a Jets jersey at some point!

If a goalie can bodycheck a skater, why can't a skater bodycheck a goalie? AFAIC, when the goalie goes wandering behind the net, he should be fair game. The same way all those extra protection rules for QB's disappear once they get happy feet.

Reactions: DashingDane

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Berdin saves 25/29 in a 6-4 win. It's also his third start in a row.

If a goalie can bodycheck a skater, why can't a skater bodycheck a goalie? AFAIC, when the goalie goes wandering behind the net, he should be fair game. The same way all those extra protection rules for QB's disappear once they get happy feet.

Goalies should not be fair game, their equipment isn't designed to protect them from hits like other skaters' equipment. With that being said if they can't be hit they shouldn't be allowed to hit, as entertaining as it is to watch Berdin do it, and if he makes the big league and tries to pull it out too often I'd expect them to create a rule to stop it. Also in this case that was just blatant interference.

Reactions: Mathil8

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Berdin saves 25/29 in a 6-4 win. It's also his third start in a row.

Goalies should not be fair game, their equipment isn't designed to protect them from hits like other skaters' equipment. With that being said if they can't be hit they shouldn't be allowed to hit, as entertaining as it is to watch Berdin do it, and if he makes the big league and tries to pull it out too often I'd expect them to create a rule to stop it.

Agree. And judging by the expression and body language of the skater he hit, I doubt it works twice.

That said, still waiting for Berdin to take the penalty shot for his Gyorgev Howe hat trick.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Saved 36/37 in his fourth straight start. Also got a roughing penalty.

upload_2020-10-2_15-47-14.png

Easy to see why. Who would want that sieve Askarov in net? :sarcasm:

I wonder if there is an agreement for True North to make a "donation" to St Pete if Berdin gets a certain number of starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->