Miken, Blue Ice, and Combat?

ManicSubsidal15

Jan 26, 2009
Long Island, NY
Everyone knows about companies like Bauer, Easton, Warrior, etc but I was wondering if anyone has tried any of these three stick companies? I know Combat is what Ballistik used to be, but besides for David Booth being the poster boy of Miken I have no idea about them, and someone at open hockey just showed me his Blue Ice stick.

Are their sticks any good, and worth trying? If so, which particular models?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Of the three mentioned, Combat would be the most reputable. I spoke to their pro rep for some time and their sticks and gloves are top quality. I'm really excited about the 52cal and the new PURE stick, but their 45cal is great value for a pricepoint as well.

Miken has a background in Baseball, like Easton but you'd have to check over at MSH for more info on them and Blue.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
I would assume if Miken is getting into hockey stick manufacturing they've done their homework....much like the other companies. Both Combat and Miken make unreal bats for slopitch...so I'd suspect they'd be decent sticks - albeit, I'd probably hold off on either and stick with a more reputable supplier like Bauer, Easton, CCM until all kinks are worked out

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
As the others have stated, Combat are fairly well established for a "fringe" brand, and I've heard mostly positive reviews. They're a baseball company who also made sticks, then they bought Ballistik, who made sticks that people liked. You can check out reviews of combat/ballistik sticks here:
http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/forum/14-ops/
http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/forum/69-msh-long-term-reviews/

Miken sticks are actually fully made in the States, which is cool/rare, and they supposedly make good baseball gear. Both Combat and Miken would be drawing on their composite bat making, so they wouldn't be starting from scratch.

Blueice I know very little about.

Another fringe stick maker you could check out are Base. I recently bought one, though it's still being made. Apparently the guy who started Base is the same guy who started Innovative, who made great sticks, so like Combat and Miken they've got experience to draw from. You can check them out here:
http://www.basehockey.ca/index.htm

They let you come in and test the sticks out on synthetic ice, I liked them at the shop, very light and the main reason I went with them is that they provide a VERY wide variety of curves/lies. They didn't have exactly what I wanted in stock so it's being made in their factory in Mexico, should arrive in a couple days now, I'll have a better review then. You'd be missing out on the main advantage, though, which is being able to test out the sticks on skates at their "fitting center," since their only such center right now is in Vancouver.

Last edited:

greech

Jul 17, 2004
Boston
As a full disclaimer- I long-term reviewed a Combat (when they were called Ballistik) 50 Caliber, great stick. Durable, shot fairly true, and I loved the shaft dimensions. I'd recommend it highly. I've heard good things about Base, and Miken not as much.

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga
I have had the Combat 45 Cal for close to a month now and I love it. I use the 80 flex and it feels great very light caparable to the weight of the Easton s16.

Eric Boulton also uses Miken I looked at one when I got my Combat and loved the feel but didn't get to try it out. Bought the combat because for $80 I couldn't pass it up.

Never heard of Blue

Here are some more pro's who use combat
Ondrej Pavelec
Dustin Brown
Zach Bogosian
Jaromir Jagr
Matt Bradley
Corey Locke
Radim Vrbata

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I have had the Combat 45 Cal for close to a month now and I love it. I use the 80 flex and it feels great very light caparable to the weight of the Easton s16.

Eric Boulton also uses Miken I looked at one when I got my Combat and loved the feel but didn't get to try it out. Bought the combat because for $80 I couldn't pass it up.

Never heard of Blue

Here are some more pro's who use combat
Ondrej Pavelec
Dustin Brown
Zach Bogosian
Jaromir Jagr
Matt Bradley
Corey Locke
Radim Vrbata

A lot of the Coyotes players have used/are using Combat. Oh and how does the 80 flex feel compared to other's 75 or 77?

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga
A lot of the Coyotes players have used/are using Combat. Oh and how does the 80 flex feel compared to other's 75 or 77?

feels great, I've been pimpin the hell out of this stick since I got it. It has a low kick point and yeah can definitely feel when it releases almost like it pops in your bottom hand.

I want to buy the 22 cal now as a second stick that or I want to get a 5030 there just classic

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I use the MV3 from Miken. It's a great stick. Great feel of the puck and it just springs off the stick on a shot.

MNWild9

Feb 16, 2010
Minot,ND
Check out SBK they used to be some of the people working with Sherwood. I picked up a shaft and i really liked it. Their not really in stores yet but if you contact them they will get you a good price. I'm thinking about picking up a one piece. Also the local NAHL team uses them some seem to like them.

flyers10

Apr 12, 2011
AZ
I have a BASE with a hossa toe curve. Light, nice snap to it. Blade isn't as pingy as a X60 but not as dampened as a One95. Flex fairly accurate to the number or slightly softer. Good value for the price.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
anyone heard/remember trilage?...only took a few shots with one but loved it, the whole shaft was circular

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga
Check out SBK they used to be some of the people working with Sherwood. I picked up a shaft and i really liked it. Their not really in stores yet but if you contact them they will get you a good price. I'm thinking about picking up a one piece. Also the local NAHL team uses them some seem to like them.

Yeah sherbrook hockey. I actually tried to write them 3 0r 4 time about 4 months ago and they never wrote me back, so I gave up.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Picked up my BASE stick a couple days ago, used it for the first time at a stick and puck today. Got a Hossa curve (open toe hook), 75 flex, really like it so far, very snappy/responsive, and the toe curve and whippy flex is a lot of fun for snappers. Obviously can't say too much after just one skate, but so far so good, my first impression is that I like it a lot more than my Easton ST, and even a bit more than my Bauer one95, though part of that could be the curve too (Iggy and P88 curves on my ST and one95).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->