Rutherford: Mike Yeo: "I'm Ready to Talk (about Blues winning Stanley Cup)"

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I was rather disappointed in this interview. Yeo seems in denial that he had no sense of pulse of club and that no way they achieve those heights with him in charge.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I was rather disappointed in this interview. Yeo seems in denial that he had no sense of pulse of club and that no way they achieve those heights with him in charge.

He also essentially said one of the biggest reason the team sucked is because Army wanted a bigger focus on offense and so Yeo worked on that in training camp rather than the defense that he's known for and preferred. According to him this is why the defense was so bad at the beginning.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

You are never going to get that. He admitted he made mistakes, and that they were on him. That is as close as you can expect. He still wants a head coaching job some day, so he is not going to trash the job he did in his last coaching job in an article every perspective employer will read. The circumstances are damning enough. Also, everyone is the hero of their own story. Nobody is going to publicly completely throw themselves under a bus. We just aren't wired to think that way. Accepting even as much blame as he did is a lot more than some people might.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
He also essentially said one of the biggest reason the team sucked is because Army wanted a bigger focus on offense and so Yeo worked on that in training camp rather than the defense that he's known for and preferred. According to him this is why the defense was so bad at the beginning.

He did not blame Army at all. He said, "“A big part of why we didn’t make the playoffs (in 2017-18) was a lack of goal-scoring, and a lot of the summer was built around trying to bring some people in who could help score goals,” Yeo said. “But I got away from my usual plan in training camp. We spent a lot of time trying to create more offense, then obviously the defensive game wasn’t as strong." No mention of Armstrong.

It was JR, summarizing things who said "perhaps with input from Armstrong". I am more disappointed with the writing...well, not disappointed, as it is JR after all. I dislike that style of interview reporting where the author puts much of it in his own words. If Yeo blamed Armstrong, there would be no "Perhaps". He would either believe Armstrong pressured him for more offense, or not believe it. Either way, there would be no perhaps because he was there. That is JR insinuating his own thoughts into the interview, which is terrible journalism.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
He did not blame Army at all. He said, "“A big part of why we didn’t make the playoffs (in 2017-18) was a lack of goal-scoring, and a lot of the summer was built around trying to bring some people in who could help score goals,” Yeo said. “But I got away from my usual plan in training camp. We spent a lot of time trying to create more offense, then obviously the defensive game wasn’t as strong." No mention of Armstrong.

It was JR, summarizing things who said "perhaps with input from Armstrong". I am more disappointed with the writing...well, not disappointed, as it is JR after all. I dislike that style of interview reporting where the author puts much of it in his own words. If Yeo blamed Armstrong, there would be no "Perhaps". He would either believe Armstrong pressured him for more offense, or not believe it. Either way, there would be no perhaps because he was there. That is JR insinuating his own thoughts into the interview, which is terrible journalism.

I honestly cannot stand any of the guys who claim to cover the Blues, they either do things like bolded above OR tow the company line scared to upset the team

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Ah, yes upon re-reading you're correct. I must have been reading the article too fast or something because I didn't pick up on that the first time.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
semi-interesting read

found it interesting yeo didn't see much difference in the way the blues played, despite them winning after berube took over. can't tell if that's yeo downplaying berube or if he just doesn't get it still. also odd he pins a lot of this on not himself for not trying hard enough when it seems he was trying too hard to do something that just wasn't working for anyone.

what a nightmare to be the answer to the trivia question: "which head coach did the blues fire before winning their first cup?"

Reactions: Brockon

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I don’t have much patience for JR these days, but the interview was interesting.

I love the part where Yeo isn’t watching the SCF but he can hear his son elsewhere in the house, swearing every time Binnington makes a big save. That was honest.

I don’t think he’ll be an NHL head coach again. Maybe if he goes the AHL route first. Nor do I think Yeo deserves all the blame for last season’s start. But I give Berube all the credit in the world for instilling confidence into individual players and demanding a team-first ethic.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I don’t have much patience for JR these days, but the interview was interesting.

I love the part where Yeo isn’t watching the SCF but he can hear his son elsewhere in the house, swearing every time Binnington makes a big save. That was honest.

I don’t think he’ll be an NHL head coach again. Maybe if he goes the AHL route first. Nor do I think Yeo deserves all the blame for last season’s start. But I give Berube all the credit in the world for instilling confidence into individual players and demanding a team-first ethic.

I think he could work his way back into an NHL head coaching role someday, since there's always ex NHL head coaches being recycled every year. But I'm thinking Yeo's best option to be a head coach and be successful may be the AHL as you said, juniors, or college. Sort of like doing what Andy Murray has done at Western Michigan (NCAA) since he was with the Blues. But who knows Yeo already swung himself into another NHL Assisstant role with the Flyers and former Wild GM Chuck Fletcher is at the helm.

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
Yeo talking about the blues playing similar after he left was about the system. They still played a fairly similar style and system, they were just doing it better. I don't see why people are saying he is avoiding blame. It felt like half the article was him trying to articulate that he just couldn't get the guys going in the right fashion. He says repeatedly that he pushed or backed off at the wrong times, that are apparent now that he's had a chance to step back and look at what happened. I'm suprised JR only gave like 1 line to the goaltending being bad. Allen was the worst goalie in the league for 2 months and in my opinion if he was even close to league average yeo is still the coach today.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019

I was a little confused about that part. First, his son was rooting against the Blues that hard?

I could also imagine it would be tough to watch but it’s game 7 of the cup finals with a team full of players you just got done coaching.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He said a lot of the same stuff after he was fired by Minnesota. “I have regrets and things that I have learned from.” Well apparently he still doesn’t get it. He won’t admit it but he has no sense of how to motivate a team. He had the exact issues here that he did in Minny.

He shouldn’t ever be an NHL head coach again.

As for him thinking they didn’t play much different, well he’s being blind to reality. They greatly cleaned up the mess in the defensive zone that Yeo was using, and they also became far more aggressive and physical on the forecheck. That’s just the start of it.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
He said a lot of the same stuff after he was fired by Minnesota. “I have regrets and things that I have learned from.” Well apparently he still doesn’t get it. He won’t admit it but he has no sense of how to motivate a team. He had the exact issues here that he did in Minny.

He shouldn’t ever be an NHL head coach again.

As for him thinking they didn’t play much different, well he’s being blind to reality. They greatly cleaned up the mess in the defensive zone that Yeo was using, and they also became far more aggressive and physical on the forecheck. That’s just the start of it.
Cant agree more.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL

That’s really JR’s MO, and he’s really bad at it considering his hockey thoughts are garbage.

Remember when the Blues should blow it up and trade Tarasenko?

Or #teamSteen #teamPetro? What a clown

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
They don't need Yeo to get to the basement of the NHL, they're already down there.
They need him to stay down there as long as possible :naughty:

Never was a fan of Yeo. Hated when he was hired, celebrated that he was fired.

That said, I do feel for him just as a human. Can't have been easy and more than just a little embarrassing. Kudos to him for doing the interview.
Always felt the coach in waiting was a terrible move. We were quite fortuitous that he reached his expiration date quickly and didn't burn multiple years of our core's window.

That’s really JR’s MO, and he’s really bad at it considering his hockey thoughts are garbage.

Remember when the Blues should blow it up and trade Tarasenko?

Or #teamSteen #teamPetro? What a clown
Or Walman will make the team over Dunn

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
The article just confirms my most basic, fundamental hockey belief. Defense first! Defense wins championships. I knew right away when the team started to get away from team defense and focus on offense that disaster would ensue. I was not wrong. Berube shifted it back.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Wasn't as exciting as one would think it would be. Interesting read is about the most acclaim I can give it. Forgettable in the long run. Yeo was here, then he wasn't, Blues won a cup and there isn't much more to it than that. Not some crazy bad blood or severe mental anguish by Yeo... just tough for him as I am sure any player getting traded then your former team goes on to win a cup. It happens.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
i would like to hear/read a interview with backes more than one with yeo .. i never liked the hire and ofc not coach in waiting thing .. wtf was that ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->