Speculation: Mike Van Ryn

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Sens fan coming in peace here. Been fun watching you guys these playoffs. Best of luck for the final 6 against San Jose. As you all know my team is once again looking for a new HC. Reportedly waiting to interview someone on the staff of a team still playing. That lead to speculation about Mike Van Ryn. Anything you can tell me about of relevant info? Thanks guys.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Sens fan coming in peace here. Been fun watching you guys these playoffs. Best of luck for the final 6 against San Jose. As you all know my team is once again looking for a new HC. Reportedly waiting to interview someone on the staff of a team still playing. That lead to speculation about Mike Van Ryn. Anything you can tell me about of relevant info? Thanks guys.
I don’t think he’s ready for an NHL head coaching position. Still very green even as an assistant.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
What reason did people have for disliking him and why he urge to give him the boot after this year?
Our defense was awful the first half of the year. I mean dreadful. And the defense has been our biggest issue in the playoffs as well. I do think we need another top 4 LHD, but we still shouldn't be having such terrible defensive breakdowns with the d-core we have now. We've got skilled PMD filling out our top 4, who can all play solid defense at the least. Binnington has made the defense look good on many an occasion.

Van Ryn is just...expendable. I can't say he's done a whole lot to make me want to keep him. A new guy running the D wouldn't hurt in my opinion.

Reactions: Amberelise

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
What reason did people have for disliking him and why he urge to give him the boot after this year?
He was scapegoated by some posters for the defensive scheme Yeo was using and the breakdowns that snowballed into the losing skid.

Some of those same posters are slow to credit Van Ryn for any of the turn-around, instead attributing it to Robinson’s temporary stint as a consultant.

To me, he looks like a sharp young coach who needs some seasoning. I’m not sure he’s head coach material, but I’d be shocked if he got an opportunity like that now. Maybe in 4-5 years.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm hoping that his contract is up at the end of the season and he is replaced. As mentioned earlier, I haven't seen enough consistent good play from the D to feel confident that Yeo was the entire problem and Van Ryn doesn't share some blame. When our D is playing well, I generally feel that it is mainly Petro, Bou, Parayko and Dunn having good games as opposed to them following a system that gets more out of them than they have. Those are 4 very talented D men and (outside of Dunn) should be able to have success without much help from the D coach. With that said, I'm not sure any of Petro, J-Bou or Parayko have exceeded expectations over the course of the full season.

With all of that said, most of that is 'gut feeling' stuff out of me and I would not want to make the decision based on just the info/knowledge I have. I won't be mad if he's brought back.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Van Ryn is still too green himself....

what about Joe Sacco of Boston? 5 years NHL Assistant Coach with previous head coaching experience in AHL.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I just wanted to add, I expect Ott to be a head coach some day. Not now, but he has the make-up for it amd appears to have the desire. He was voted most likely to become a coach by his teammates in that 2016 season.

This x 1000, Ott is a very promising coach imo.

Also want to echo what Yappi said a few posts back that Van Ryn took a lot of blame for our defensive issues while Yeo was still here. I'll be perfectly honest, I don't know what to make of him as a coach. He's mostly an unknown to me who's responsible for getting the right defense pairs out at the right time where apparently we play the match up game pretty often.

Reactions: Blueston

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The tone I’m picking up here is if you guys win the cup it’ll be in-spite of him.
The people that dislike him are louder than anyone else. But the truth is no one knows enough about what his degree of autonomy or what his responsibilities are well enough to have an informed judgement. He was part of the defensive coaching staff when they stunk, and he's part of it when they've been the best in the league at minimizing xGA for a several week stretch.

This thread is the first I've ever heard of him having anything to do with the PP, and I'm not sure what that speculation is based on.

I doubt you'll find anyone here who thinks he's awesome and worthy of a head-coaching job. If you do, its based on pure guess-work or its his mom.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The tone I’m picking up here is if you guys win the cup it’ll be in-spite of him.
He’s not that bad. I’d say he’s probably a fine assistant. Just not ready for a head coaching job yet. Maybe in a couple years.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
The people that dislike him are louder than anyone else. But the truth is no one knows enough about what his degree of autonomy or what his responsibilities are well enough to have an informed judgement. He was part of the defensive coaching staff when they stunk, and he's part of it when they've been the best in the league at minimizing xGA for a several week stretch.

This thread is the first I've ever heard of him having anything to do with the PP, and I'm not sure what that speculation is based on.

I doubt you'll find anyone here who thinks he's awesome and worthy of a head-coaching job. If you do, its based on pure guess-work or its his mom.
He was head coach of the Tucson roadrunners or whatever they are in 2018 so he at least has since hc experience

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He is absolutely an up and comer. I expect he and Ott are both future head coaches. VR had successs as head coach in OHLand AHL and now NHL assistant before 40th birthday. But remember that 3 yeas ago he was assistant in OHL and this is first year on NHL staff. I would give him couple years before hiring him as NHL head.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
There were many ready to run him off as an assistant months ago. He's definitely not ready

Or maybe all of those fans were wrong? I'd say that's more likely. Lots of know-it-alls on this site who thought they had figured everything out in November. I've heard analysts talk about Van Ryn as a future head coach and I'm guessing they say that for a reason.

Reactions: Blueston

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Or maybe all of those fans were wrong? I'd say that's more likely. Lots of know-it-alls on this site who thought they had figured everything out in November. I've heard analysts talk about Van Ryn as a future head coach and I'm guessing they say that for a reason.

Or....perhaps 3 months into his coaching career at the NHL level he was struggling. Doesn’t mean he’s forever done or won’t ever amount to anything.

You’re telling me right now, you’d hire him as a head coach?

All I said was he wasn’t ready yet.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Didn't the Blues bring in Larry Robinson to help out Mike Van Ryn? It seemed at the time that Van Ryn was out of his depth.

That doesn't mean that Van Ryn is worthless. It also means that he probably needs more time in grade before he tries to move up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->