Mike Scioscia era to end in Anaheim at end of season

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I know that this might not be as important as I remember it felt, but K-Rod's 62 saves in 2008 also made it seem like the bullpen could hold any lead in late game situations.
I am not sure what Angels team was the best one that Scioscia managed, but just the fact that they seemed to make the playoffs frequently until 2009 and have only been to the playoffs in 2014 since made it seem that his tenure would be ending. It's hard to believe that he has managed the Angels for such a long time.

not only was k-rod lights out that season but they also had probably the best setup man in the league in scot shields

i really thought they'd go to the WS that season but those teams just couldn't get past boston

inexcusable to have the best player in baseball going on 7 seasons now and have zero playoff wins to show for it

IslesFan2017

May 29, 2017
not only was k-rod lights out that season but they also had probably the best setup man in the league in scot shields

i really thought they'd go to the WS that season but those teams just couldn't get past boston

inexcusable to have the best player in baseball going on 7 seasons now and have zero playoff wins to show for it
I agree, it's not like the AL West has been this bloodbath of a division until this year at least. The A's come out of nowhere from 2012-2014, the Rangers appeared in back-to-back World Series in 2010-2011, the Mariners haven't been anything better than average since 2003, and the Astros have only been playoff contenders since 2015.

I hope that Mike Trout can have a winning team around him and it would be cool to see him in the playoffs again.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Actually, I think 2004 team was the only scary team he had on paper. He had Vlad, Glaus, Anderson (coming off a career year) and Guillen. Then after that, it was Vlad and a bunch of singles hitters. Their starting rotation never really had a true ace unless you want to count Colon’s 2005 CY year. The 2002 team may have overachieved when they won 99 games but their lineup was still pretty formidable. Glaus and Anderson were in their prime and Salmon was still a run producer. Fullmer was one of the best DH’s that year. I’d certainly take their 2002 team over their mid-to-late 2000s hacking-singles-hitting teams.

04 team was not scary at all and most of the pitching staff struggled

05 Angels were better and the pitching staff had rebounded that year. But they couldn't overcome the White Sox pitching in ALCS that year and were completely outplayed and outmanaged at home in that series after taking split in Chicago

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't even understand how he still has the job to start with. Sure, the Angels won it all...reads notes...16 years ago but they've achieved jack **** since.

I think he got an insanely long extension a while back so it would have been costly to fire him till maybe last offseason.

But either way, winning the ‘only’ World Series for over five decades of franchise history gets you a lot of extra leeway.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i wonder if scioscia plans on retiring or if he's going to be available to hire

would be funny if he ended up in texas

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Not only that, but they also have an owner with deep pockets whos willing to spend $$$$. Makes it even worse IMO.

I don't even understand how he still has the job to start with. Sure, the Angels won it all...reads notes...16 years ago but they've achieved jack **** since.

So many great teams in the mid/late 2000's that always blew it. He shouldn't have survived after they got blown out in back to back playoff series by the Red Sox and he definitely should have been canned after they won 100 games and got swept by the freakin' Royals.

When you manage the team to its only championship ever, you got some real good job security. Its different when you do it for a successful franchise, look at Girardi & Farrell as examples.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
When you manage the team to its only championship ever, you got some real good job security. Its different when you do it for a successful franchise, look at Girardi & Farrell as examples.

Yeah plus it's not like they've struggled the entire 16 years since the World Series. After a 2003 hangover they were a perennial contender through the rest of the decade, and even the early '10's they had 85, 86, 89 and 98-win seasons. It's just the last three years and the failure to win a playoff game with Trout makes the overall resume look worse.

Reactions: Voight

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Yeah plus it's not like they've struggled the entire 16 years since the World Series. After a 2003 hangover they were a perennial contender through the rest of the decade, and even the early '10's they had 85, 86, 89 and 98-win seasons. It's just the last three years and the failure to win a playoff game with Trout makes the overall resume look worse.
I mean to be fair to Sciocia, you can't win with Trout alone. Angels literally had no one else around Trout.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
gonna miss his befuddled reactions to things

Whaa.01.gif

Oct 18, 2011
When he first started I thought he was ahead of the curve of the other managers. Or atleast I personally enjoyed the style of play, but as time went on and he gained more influence(especially after Arte bought the team) You could see he was not adapting to the modern game, and by the time he was the angels had already begun bleeding talent because of all the stupid win now moves they made. He brainwashed the people around the team to convince fans that productive outs were good, for years he refused to accept OBP and plate discipline as critical to winning baseball. The Angels constantly signed outfielders to horrible contracts(Torii Hunter was a success, but Steve Finley, Vernon Wells, Gary Mathews Jr, and Josh Hamilton say hello). Third base was a constant black hole ever since the decision to not sign Troy Glaus(seems like a random name but look at his numbers as an Angels player) and for whatever reason he continued to insist on bunting with players who were not comfortable doing it.

His time has been long overdue, Angels fans are waxing poetic but the fact is he hasn't done a good job for awhile.....many fans and apologists still live in 2002. I hope they hire someone who understands the modern game better

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The guy was a decent manager but it always seemed like he thought was reinventing the game with squeeze plays and whatnot. 2008 was one of them.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
The guy was a decent manager but it always seemed like he thought was reinventing the game with squeeze plays and whatnot. 2008 was one of them.

that worked in 02 because they had the right guys for it

those 07-09 angels teams were stacked but just couldn't beat the red sox or yankees. especially that 08 team after they acquired teixeira at the deadline and he played out of his mind for them. really thought that was their year

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
that worked in 02 because they had the right guys for it

those 07-09 angels teams were stacked but just couldn't beat the red sox or yankees. especially that 08 team after they acquired teixeira at the deadline and he played out of his mind for them. really thought that was their year

I thought 2009 was their year after they finally exercised their Red Sox demons and swept them in the LDS. But the Yankees just proved to be too good that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad