Mike Santorelli Retires (Injury Related)

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
HC Geneve-Servette announced this on their website:

http://www.gshc.ch/News/Mike-Santorelli-prend-sa-retraite.html

Actually, it's injury related:

''I lived two very exciting months in Genève, but due to the worsening of my injury and incertitude regarding my complete recovery, I prefered to take the difficult but realist decision to hang them up. I wasn't sure to be able to help my teammates win the title. My place is with my family now.''

Last edited by a moderator:

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
Was likely waiting for NHL offers through training camps, got nothing, and decided to hang em up.

I enjoyed the way he played the game though.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
One of the hardest working players I've ever seen. Every organization he went to seemed to have multiple players/coaches point out how great his work ethic is (Rielly, Booth, Burrows, Sedins, Torts, Carlyle, etc.). Constantly trying to improve his puck skills which were the biggest detractor as he had no real standout skills to help him stick permanently in the NHL.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
He's a really smart guy. Could probably get a hockey job in Vancouver

Is that a prerequisite?

rimshot.gif~c200

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Didn't he complete a running test, along with the Sedins, while Tortorella was in Vancouver? While the rest of the team failed?

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Signing with his hometown team Toronto was his downfall. He was basically thrown to the curb after his year or so of playing there, because he was traded away. It's partially his fault though because he wasn't playing well enough in Nashville.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Signing with his hometown team Toronto was his downfall. He was basically thrown to the curb after his year or so of playing there.

Except he produced a career year in Toronto and went to a contender at the deadline.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Signing with his hometown team Toronto was his downfall. He was basically thrown to the curb after his year or so of playing there, because he was traded away. It's partially his fault though because he wasn't playing well enough in Nashville.

When be was playing in Vancouver, I seem to recall stories of him being the hometown guy.

I think he's from Burnaby or something.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I realize the Greater Toronto area is rather large, but it's really quite the stretch to include Vancouver into it.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
I realize the Greater Toronto area is rather large, but it's really quite the stretch to include Vancouver into it.

Didn't you know? On Torontonian maps everything in Toronto is Toronto, and everything outside Toronto is the Greater Toronto Area. :D

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Wasn't he doing alright so far?

He was very serviceable only two years ago in Toronto.

Strange

Was likely waiting for NHL offers through training camps, got nothing, and decided to hang em up.

I enjoyed the way he played the game though.

Actually, it's injury related:

« J’ai vécu deux mois très excitants à Genève, a tenu à préciser Mike avant son départ. Mais, en raison de l’aggravation de ma blessure et de l’incertitude liée à une récupération totale de mes capacités, j’ai préféré être loyal avec tout le monde et prendre une décision, certes difficile, mais réaliste. Je n’avais plus aucune certitude de pouvoir à nouveau tenir dignement mon rôle pour aider mes coéquipiers à décrocher le titre. Ma place est désormais auprès de ma famille.»

''I lived two very exciting months in Genève, but due to the worsening of my injury and incertitude regarding my complete recovery, I prefered to take the difficult but realist decision to hang them up. I wasn't sure to be able to help my teammates win the title. My place is with my family now.''

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad