Mike Rupp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
seriously....what does this guy bring to the team?

I've heard the...he's a good lockerroom guy...but you know what, you can be a good lockerroom guy sitting in the pressbox. The guy hasn't played a good game of hockey in a LONG while....

sheesh.

Not trying to be negative after a win...but it's REALLY beginning to piss me off.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I don't want to agree with you.

But I agree with you.

Ruppers best years are behind him, his ability to impact a hockey game got left behind, and while he's a fine fighter, he doesn't really strike much fear into players.

On top of that, he's eating up money could have been used to keep Pruster here.

Apr 10, 2012
he's a 4th liner who is defensively responsible and a decent fighter. he's overpaid, but that's pretty much it. as a 4th liner he gets the job done. def people i'd complain about before him

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I don't mind him. He just seems.... slow... and.... defensively scrambly and.... just.... a bit lost when he's stuck on the ice against the opposition's 2nd or top line but that's how 4th liners are I guess. His slowness doesn't help.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
he's a 4th liner who is defensively responsible and a decent fighter. he's overpaid, but that's pretty much it. as a 4th liner he gets the job done. def people i'd complain about before him

Agreed, he is an overpaid body. But he isn't really a liability.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Ship him along with one of Eminger/Gilroy/Bickel and a 3rd round pick to San Jose for Douglas Murray and a lower pick/midlevel prospect. Would solve a lot of things for us at once

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
He was crippled all year last year and its been 3 games thus far this year...a little overreaction maybe?

If anyone deserves to be sat, It's bickel.

Without Rupp we wouldn't have won the winter classic damnit! :sarcasm:

Stepanformayor*

He can and is willing to fight.

Plus he called Shelley irrelevant. :laugh:

I'll give ya....... "he's willing to fight"..And the Shelly quote is a classic..But you and I must be watching two different games..I can't remember, the last time Rupp didn't end on his back after a fight..No one on any team fear's Michael Rupp or anyone else on this team for that matter. Again, God bless him because iv'e heard he's a very good teamate, but i agree could The Ranger's have done themselve's a diservice by paying Rupp too much and not keeping Prusty?.. IMO Yes.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I just don't see what there is to complain about here. Rupp is perfect for his role. He is a heavyweight who can actually get around and create some chances. In a 7 game series, d-men will hate having to go up against Rupp (6'5), Boyle (6'7) and Pyatt (6'5) on a nightly basis.

IMO the problem is the opposite wing and with Asham being out already it is hard to say whether they need an upgrade there. IMO,a speedy pker would be ideal there.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
The way i see it hes not gona win you a game (aside from the WC) but hes not going to loose you a game, i can live with that. His prime is behind him but as rangerboy said hes healthy and skating well thus far, and imo theres no real upgrades out there or in our system over him, hes a heavyweight, can play decent defense and is a good veteran presence.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
wierd...i thought he's been playing well so far this year

in the first two games i thought his play was one of the only bright spots

i honestly clicked on this thread expecting it to be a nyrhf classic "appreciation thread"

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He can and is willing to fight.

Plus he called Shelley irrelevant. :laugh:

Basically he's a good team guy and is willing to fight and in this division its good to have

at 1.5 he has to be a goner next yr though, hopefully to a cap floor team and worse case the 2nd buyout.

Haley has a one way deal next yr so like it or not he should make the team. Although so far Segal and Newbury have been called up before him so thats not good.

Asham should be able to be the main guy that fights anyways. Bickel is going to stick around for that too like it or not

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i just haven't seen any of his "game"...i havent seen him generate any kind of a consistent forecheck aside from a shift here or a shift there. no goalmouth presence...i'm just not seeing anything from him. I'm not a believe in fighters so i couldnt care less if he fights or not. Id rather have someone who can hit.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Aside from the poorly timed fight with Thornton in Boston, I think he's been about what I expected. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think he's value doesn't come across on the ice. He's big behind the scene.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I agree with Inferno, but I need to give him some more time to get his legs under him. Hes still building up leg strength after the knee thing.

Unfortunately hes been mind-numbingly slow to to the puck and while he can drop the mitts right now building confidence in the system is more important. I wouldnt give him too long but you gotta give him some games.

After 7-10 games if he's still lumbering around like a toad and reaching to break up every play, then you really have to consider taking him out. The Rangers need to sprinkle in some time for the 4th and 3rd lines because burning out Gabby-Richards-Nash is the last thing you want to do.

But i predicted this to be a bounce back year for him, so im going to stick with my original premonition.

In Disgust

Oct 25, 2010
Huge, lumbering player that looks a bit clueless in his own zone. Overpaid and old- not a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad