Mike Robinson (86th overall)

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio

2ynpf6c.jpg

The Bedford, NH native is a big goaltender who impresses scouts with his size and fundamentals. He's not overly athletic, quick or agile, but he is technically sound. He does a nice job squaring up to and challenging shooters and he covers a lot of the net with his big frame.

Robinson, who also plays with the Boston Jr. Rangers organization, has worked with Goalie Development Services (GDS) guru Michael Buckley.

"Mike is a play-reading, athletic goaltender. He has great size and his ability to understand the game keeps him calm and poised. When things get unpredictable he has the ability and compete level to battle. He is a well balanced goaltender technically, physically and mentally," said Buckley, a former goaltending coach for UMass and UNH.

Both Barker and Buckley raved about Robinson's work ethic and desire to get better.

He played for a Lawrence squad that, charitably, needed their goaltender to be a star every night because the team gave up a lot of shots.

“I loved it,†Robinson said. “It’s a big reason why I went to this school. I feel it got me a lot of attention because I could really help my team win big games.â€

A University of New Hampshire commit, Robinson grew up in the state watching the Wildcats. He also has a training relationship with goalie coach Mike Buckley, who worked with UNH and is now with the Pittsburgh Penguins – and think about how insanely good Matt Murray has been in the minors this year. Buckley also worked with Jonathan Quick when the Kings star was at UMass.

“I’ve worked with Mike for 10 years,†Robinson said. “I’ve always had a good connection with him. He’s my go-to guy for anything hockey.â€

Tracking the puck has become the latest revolution in goaltending thanks to Devan Dubnyk and his work with Lyle Mast and Steve Valiquette and Robinson has also bought in. The youngster noted that Buckley has incorporated such teachings in his own work for years.

“You want your nose to the glove and to watch the puck go into the glove,†Robinson said. “You focus in on the puck instead of just blocking it.â€

With his big frame and athleticism, Robinson can stump shooters in a lot of ways. He will likely play for the Boston Jr. Bruins in the U.S. Premier League next year, though his USHL rights were just picked up by Lincoln. Wherever he plays, he’ll be ready for the pressure. Draft eligible in 2015.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
This is a pick people won't like because of how long its going to take him to get here, but I think it could work out well.

The good thing is if he does play 2 more years of junior and then 4 years of college, we have his rights for 6 years.

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
He might pan out, you never know. But, it seems like a desperation move since San Jose was the 5th team to draft a goalie in the 3rd round. Only two goalies had been selected in the 1st and 2nd.

It just seems like they were sitting there thinking...alright the goalies are dropping, we should get one...

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
A lack of 3rd rounder hurt us this year.*

Robinson may pan out but he's not one of the top end goalies in the draft. It would have been nice to see us select at 70 when Sandstrom went, and Vladar was still on the board too.

*EDIT: I meant our own, which was a 16 picks higher.

Last edited:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Outside of the "elite" goalie prospects, and even sometimes including them, goalies are a crap shoot and this guy is as good of a roll of the dice as any.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad