Mike Richards vs. Zach Parise

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm not looking to turn this into a Flyers - Devils argument.

IMO two very very similar players.

Paries gets more of the hype, but I see very little difference between the two.

I don't think you'd see either organization trade one for the other.

outKast*

Richards. I really don't think Parise will be a top player in the NHL. He seems like a 2nd line player or a role player to me. He's too small and will be crushed when he plays in the NHL. Mike 'Richards is the more complete package.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
Interesting so far.

Right now, i like what Mike Richards brings to the table. Absolutely everything. The guy is awesome. I think Parise has a higher ceiling, but I think Richards will have more of an impact in the NHL.

meehan

Mar 20, 2003
new york
Visit site
outKast said:
Richards. I really don't think Parise will be a top player in the NHL. He seems like a 2nd line player or a role player to me. He's too small and will be crushed when he plays in the NHL. Mike 'Richards is the more complete package.

So basically Parise at 5-11 186 Lbs is too small to make an impact in the NHL while Richards at 5-11 185 Lbs won't be "crushed when he plays in the NHL"? Please people, if you only want to play the size card, at least play it fairly for both sides.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
meehan said:
So basically Parise at 5-11 186 Lbs is too small to make an impact in the NHL while Richards at 5-11 185 Lbs won't be "crushed when he plays in the NHL"? Please people, if you only want to play the size card, at least play it fairly for both sides.

Well, Richards is Canadian, so his strength, endurance, and resiliance are far beyond that of us mere mortal Americans, Swedes, or Russians.... :shakehead

As for the thread, I think superficially, Richards and Parise could be categorized as "similar", but IMO, Parise is quite a bit more skilled, while possessing an equal all-around game. I see Parise as a 1st line player, especially in New Jersey, with Richards an able 3rd line guy.

Last edited:

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Parise is much more offensively skilled than Richards, but has similar defensive skills.

I'm just going to quote articles here.

It’s hard to believe that so many teams had passed on Parise during the draft. The immensely talented center has been one of the biggest reasons for North Dakota’s success thus far this season and is an early candidate for the Hobey Baker. He began the season bothered by a knee injury that he sustained in an exhibition game against Concordia University on October 11th but was right back in the North Dakota lineup for the following weekend series versus Boston College.

Parise wasn’t North Dakota’s leading scorer, but he was arguably the Fighting Sioux’s best player this season. He finished with 26 points midway through the season and ended the season as one of the top scorers in the nation with 55 points (23 goals, 32 assists). He finished first in the nation in plus/minus with a whopping +35. Parise also finished second in the nation in points per game (1.49), centering the nation’s most explosive and exciting line. He had his best late season performance in the WCHA Final Five title game versus Minnesota where he had a hand in all four UND goals in the 5-4 loss. Parise’s stellar performance throughout the season earned him a finalist nomination for the Hobey Baker Award. Among the other accolades he received included spots on the WCHA and USCHO All First Teams, the NCAA All-American West First Team and the WCHA All-Academic Team.

niversity of North Dakota (USA): The University of North Dakota sophomore is making a return appearance to the WJC this year for Team USA. The native of Fairbault, Minnesota is a prospect of the New Jersey Devils, who was selected in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft (first round, 17th overall). He is the son of former NHLer J. P. Parise. The immensely gifted center is enjoying another terrific year on arguably the most exciting and potent top line in the nation. Parise has thus far racked up 16 points (six goals, ten assists), which ranks him third on the team in that category. In both goals and assists he is tied for second on the team. He also leads the team in shots taken with 55. In his freshman year, Parise became North Dakota’s first rookie finalist for the Hobey Baker Award. He led the nation in points per game (1.56) among rookies and overall finished eighth in the nation in scoring with 61 points (26 goals, 35 assists). In international play, Parise was a member of the United States’ gold-medal winning U-18 World team in Slovakia in 2002. At the 2002-03 WJC in Canada, he led Team USA in points with eight.

As a note, Parise outscored any other NCAA 2003 draftee over the past 2 seasons, including toted prospects such as Vanek and Jessiman.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Overall, Parise is regarded as having superior offensive talents, but I really think it's closer than people realize. Richards is immensely skilled as well, and by most accounts, was one of - if not the best - players at Canada's recent U-20 Development Camp.

I agree that Parise has slightly higher upside, but Richards is probably one of the safer bets around. Both are definitely blue-chippers and I can respect arguments for both players. While Parise has been over-hyped at times, that doesn't change the fact he has a fantastic skill set.

Would you take Mike Comrie, or Daymond Langkow? It's that kind of argument that could go either way.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
DownFromNJ said:
Parise is much more offensively skilled than Richards, but has similar defensive skills.

As a note, Parise outscored any other NCAA 2003 draftee over the past 2 seasons, including toted prospects such as Vanek and Jessiman.

Much more offensively skilled ???

I'd love to hear your basis for that.

Parise 116 points in 76 games in the NCAA over the last two seasons.

Richards 176 points in 125 games in the OHL over the last two seasons.

A difference of about 0.10 per game, and I think most people would agree that the OHL is a better league than the NCAA.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
John Flyers Fan said:

A difference of about 0.10 per game, and I think most people would agree that the OHL is a better league than the NCAA.
HA.....Its much harder to put up points in college hockey then the OHL. In the OHL you play vs 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 year olds. In college you play vs 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 year olds. I don't think this is even close, Carter vs Parise would be a better battle. I would say Vrana and Richards is closer then Parise and Richards.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
HA.....Its much harder to put up points in college hockey then the OHL. In the OHL you play vs 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 year olds. In college you play vs 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 year olds. I don't think this is even close, Carter vs Parise would be a better battle. I would say Vrana and Richards is closer then Parise and Richards.

Well how 'bout the fact that Parise did not lead his team in scoring this past year, while Richards was a runaway leader ???

I'm not saying that Richards is certainly better than Parise, but it's far far closer than people are led to believe.

Just as I'm sure that the Devils wouldn't trade Parise for Richards ... I wouldn't trade Richards for Parise.

FlyersProspect2

Jun 14, 2004
Chicopee, Ma
I don't know to much about either one other than that one is going to be a Devil and one is going to be Flyer. I only get to see these guys if they play for the AHL team and that team would have to play Springfield. Before reading this thread I though Parise was better, but I guess there are arguments for Richards. IMO they're both fit what their going to be doing on each team. Parise is going to be a goal scorer for the Devils, something they lack and Richards is going to be the third linecenter who is responsiblt for shutting down the top line on the opposition, but with Richards you get a third liner who can score. Atleast I think that is what Richards is going to be doing. Evenually the Flyers are going to have a very good core of young centers with Carter, Unberger, Richards, and Sharp.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
FlyersProspect2 said:
I don't know to much about either one other than that one is going to be a Devil and one is going to be Flyer. I only get to see these guys if they play for the AHL team and that team would have to play Springfield. Before reading this thread I though Parise was better, but I guess there are arguments for Richards. IMO they're both fit what their going to be doing on each team. Parise is going to be a goal scorer for the Devils, something they lack and Richards is going to be the third linecenter who is responsiblt for shutting down the top line on the opposition, but with Richards you get a third liner who can score. Atleast I think that is what Richards is going to be doing. Evenually the Flyers are going to have a very good core of young centers with Carter, Unberger, Richards, and Sharp.

Richards can be more than a 3rd line center that chips in some offense. He's a very very good playmaker.

While Carter is more of a goal scoring centerman, Richards is more playmaker, something the Flyers desperately need.

I also think there's a decent chance that at least one if not two will be shifted to the wing (Sharp & Umberger would be my guesses).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
mahovlich said:
Geez Rabid ranger, the guy just says he likes richards better than parise and he gave his reasons why but it always turns into some Canada-U.S thing with you for some reason,you are never two lines into your post when you start into the backhanded comments about anything Canadian and Canadian hockey players.I'm Canadian and think Parise will be a much better player than Richards also but i don't think anyone should not be able to think Richards is better.I don't see why you would always be going on about Canadian posters when you without fail constantly take glee in giving heck to anything Canadian even when nothing has been said about America and it's players in a derogatory manner,what gives anyway? I almost think that your family must have been robbed by a canuck or something when you were young and stole all your family heirlooms and possessions.I'm waiting for you to start giving us heck because we produce a lot of maple syrup.I don't get it

I wasn't even referencing a particlar poster's comments. I was responding to the fact that *some* were claiming Richards was "much stronger and has more endurance" than Parise, when they're THE SAME FREAKING SIZE!!!!! Explain to me how that can proven. As for my rants against Canada and Canadians, I have nothing against the country, or the people in general. What I do have a problem with is Canadian posters who feel the need to promote Canadian players using ridiculous logic, spotty facts, and blind homerism. I'll speak out against that ANY TIME.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
John Flyers Fan said:
Well how 'bout the fact that Parise did not lead his team in scoring this past year, while Richards was a runaway leader ???

I'm not saying that Richards is certainly better than Parise, but it's far far closer than people are led to believe.

Just as I'm sure that the Devils wouldn't trade Parise for Richards ... I wouldn't trade Richards for Parise.

I don't think it's far closer, that's your opinion. I think Parise posseses intangibles, that along with his immense skill level will promote him to be one the top 25 players in the NHL in his prime, I just don't see that ceiling for Richards.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
John Flyers Fan said:

Does the OHL feature more talented individual players than the NCAA? I think so, but that doesn't make it an easier league to play in.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I don't think it's far closer, that's your opinion. I think Parise posseses intangibles, that along with his immense skill level will promote him to be on the top 25 players in the NHL in his prime, I just don't see that ceiling for Richards.

I'm not the only one. If Dion Phaneuf was not available at pick #9, Calgary would have made Mike Richards their selection.

Intangibles like helping lead a team to a Memorial Cup, or an under-18 championship ??? Nahhh Richards doesn't posses any of those.

I think if the 2003 draft was re-done today the two players would be selected within 2-4 picks of each other somewhere in the 11-15 range.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
To suggest that Richards is a better player than Parise...

2nd in the NCAA in Points Per Game.
1st in the NCCA in +/-
First Rookie nominated for Hobey Baker
Led Gold Medal WJC team in points and named MVP and best forward in the tournament award.

Parise is an excellent defensive player with 1st line scoring ability.

Want to compare Richards vs Parise scoring numbers? Different league. The OHL is a much higher scoring league than the NCAA.

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
. As for my rants against Canada and Canadians, I have nothing against the country, or the people in general. What I do have a problem with is Canadian posters who feel the need to promote Canadian players using ridiculous logic, spotty facts, and blind homerism. I'll speak out against that ANY TIME.
You have no crediblity as out of the blue you turn it into a Canada/USA issue. You seem to turn many issue's into this without any basis.
Grow up.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
DownFromNJ said:
To suggest that Richards is a better player than Parise...

2nd in the NCAA in Points Per Game.
1st in the NCCA in +/-
First Rookie nominated for Hobey Baker
Led Gold Medal WJC team in points and named MVP and best forward in the tournament award.

Parise is an excellent defensive player with 1st line scoring ability.

Want to compare Richards vs Parise scoring numbers? Different league. The OHL is a much higher scoring league than the NCAA.

Now I've never said that Richards is better than Parise, but IMO too many people around here seem to believe that:

Parise = definite 1st liner, possible star
Richards = 3rd lind center than can chip in some points

IMO I think reality will end up being that both Richards and Parise will become good 2nd line NHL players.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
meehan said:

Very well said Meehan. I am with you all the way. If people don't like Parise or feel he is over hyped they should state that and not hide behind these ridiculous scenarios. I cannot sit here and say that Parise will dominate in the NHL, but by the same token, you can't tell me that he will not be a top tier player either. That is the beauty of watching these kids grow and become leaders. Some make and some don't, and we can say all that we want about it, but bottom line, we can't see into the future. I feel both will make their mark in the bigs, but I feel that Parise has star potential and Richards will be a very good two player for Philly.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
John Flyers Fan said:
I'm not the only one. If Dion Phaneuf was not available at pick #9, Calgary would have made Mike Richards their selection.

Which would have been a horrible pick. Richards over Milan Michalek? I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad