Mike Richards Charged with Possession of a Controlled Substance (Post 360)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
But it also closes with a "don't worry be happy" that these things can get worked out. And if you don't believe that Richards has the best immigration lawyer in the province working on it as we speak then you are naive.

Bottom line, Richards is likely going to take a plea deal, get a nominal fine and maybe probation and no jail time. It will be the equivalent of a misdemeanor. The USA is not going to further punish him by essentially making it impossible to earn his $6 million salary. Just won't happen. It would be beyond pointless. Especially so because oxy is not as strigently punished in the USA as it is in Canada.

I appreciate that you are looking for all angles but this is a dead end. He will have no issues getting a visa to work in the USA.

Actually it was reported on sports radio in Winnipeg a couple days ago that Richards has 2 of the top defense lawyers in the country out of Toronto working on this. In the same segment they were interviewing a top Winnipeg defense lawyer who indicated it was a non issue that Richards was found in possession at the border. He was detained by Canadian customs and turned over to the RCMP. That is he is a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil charged under the Canadian criminal code. No different than if he was walking down the street in his home town of Kenora. No smuggling and no Trafficking. Merely a possession charge of a small quantity of a controlled substance for personal use.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Actually it was reported on sports radio in Winnipeg a couple days ago that Richards has 2 of the top defense lawyers in the country out of Toronto working on this. In the same segment they were interviewing a top Winnipeg defense lawyer who indicated it was a non issue that Richards was found in possession at the border. He was detained by Canadian customs and turned over to the RCMP. That is he is a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil charged under the Canadian criminal code. No different than if he was walking down the street in his home town of Kenora. No smuggling and no Trafficking. Merely a possession charge of a small quantity of a controlled substance for personal use.

yup...agree completely.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

Thanks, he has $22m or $14m reasons to hire the best.

This can't be the first time he's had possession crossing to Canada. How about any game against a Canadian team? Aren't there procedures for those cases when a player has a valid prescription? ( not saying Richards had a valid one in this case.)

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
We'll just wait and see.

I'm just saying it's not the slam dunk most people seem to think it is.

Edit: I'm just saying the potential is there.

Last edited:

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
We'll just wait and see.

I'm just saying it's not the slam dunk most people seem to think it is.

Agree there is some uncertainty, there always is.

On the flip side its hilarious those who argue this is not cap circumvention. If this was doughty or if Richards had one year left at $1m, we wouldn't be discussing this .

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

On the flip side its hilarious those who argue this is not cap circumvention. If this was doughty or if Richards had one year left at $1m, we wouldn't be discussing this .

It's not circumvention. It's using a rarely used clause. And I don't think he just went off half cocked on this. I do think the Kings will likely lose even if much more info comes out just because of history of arbitration. But that doesn't mean the case wasn't without merit, just that it wasn't enough for the arbitrator to rule in favor. But given the history anything short of trying to kill a fellow employee isn't enough. But the climate might have changed.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
All I'm saying is Richards may have done enough to be under an entry ban. I don't know if he has or he hasn't.

We have had some immigration lawyers in this thread say yes. Some say no.

Does anyone have an idea on how soon the grievence will be heard? I don't know if a hockey writer has mentioned a date.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
It's not circumvention. It's using a rarely used clause. And I don't think he just went off half cocked on this. I do think the Kings will likely lose even if much more info comes out just because of history of arbitration. But that doesn't mean the case wasn't without merit, just that it wasn't enough for the arbitrator to rule in favor. But given the history anything short of trying to kill a fellow employee isn't enough. But the climate might have changed.

You're misinterpreting my view. The case may have merit but it absolutely is motivated by the cap. I haven't seen one convincing argument by a Kings fan to showing it's not. The fact you said they're using a rarely used clause kind of supports my point.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
All I'm saying is Richards may have done enough to be under an entry ban. I don't know if he has or he hasn't.

We have had some immigration lawyers in this thread say yes. Some say no.

Does anyone have an idea on how soon the grievence will be heard? I don't know if a hockey writer has mentioned a date.

The NHLPA asked for an expedited hearing. And we haven't heard if the arbitrator has even granted that. If that is grated I'm guessing a date would be set then. If denied it would go to the grievance committee. And once that is done then go to the arbitrator if a settlement wasn't worked out.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
You're misinterpreting my view. The case may have merit but it absolutely is motivated by the cap. I haven't seen one convincing argument by a Kings fan to showing it's not. The fact you said they're using a rarely used clause kind of supports my point.

Everything now has cap implications and is therefore motivated by that. And that is every move and decision every team makes.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
The drug policy is in place to specifically detail the treatments and penalties at each step of addiction or abuse. They have been negotiated specifically to avoid arbitrary punishments. Contract termination is 100% off the table for drug usage.

No it isn't, and the fact you keep saying that is ridiculous. Nowhere in the agreement does it state no additional penalties can be levied. I personally feel this is a weak case the Kings have, but you're argument is even weaker. If the NHLPA files the grievance based on your argument they will lose. If Richards was caught crossing the border with a truck full of heroin by your login he would only be entered into the treatment program and could not have contract terminated, which it most definitely would be.

Butsy Erickson

Sponsor
Mar 20, 2013
greater la area GLAA
This is assuming that long term drug use is why Richards play was significantly deteriorating, there is no evidence of that being the case.

This issue has been going on for a while now, I am now convinced that the face to face heart to heart meeting in Mikes home town last summer was not about his work-out routine or when he returned from his stint in Manchester the "test" that were conducted were not about his fineness.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
If Doughty was abusing drugs and that abuse led to his play significantly deteriorating. I would hope we can terminate his contract.

You're dodging the question to suit your needs.

Doughty, as he was at the end of the season, gets caught like Richards did at the border with Oxy driving home. What do you think happens?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

You're dodging the question to suit your needs.

Doughty, as he was at the end of the season, gets caught like Richards did at the border with Oxy driving home. What do you think happens?

So what, that is true of any line of work you are in. Employees who are more valuable are always given more of a leash. Welcome to the real world.

Would the NY Jets have immediately released Darrelle Revis if he had punched Geno Smith?

Would the Chicago Blackhawks have waited for police to gather information if it were Andrew Desjardins under investigation?

I am a Kings fan who wants to see Richards get paid the money he deserves (hoping for special buyout if the Kings lose the case), but this childish playground way of thinking is laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce