Mike Richards Captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I think captaincy is overrated. If the guy is a leader, then he will lead the team whether or not there's a 'C' on his chest. All this captaincy does, is allow him to talk to the refs..

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
MOGiLNY said:
I think captaincy is overrated. If the guy is a leader, then he will lead the team whether or not there's a 'C' on his chest. All this captaincy does, is allow him to talk to the refs..
It is not overated....it is underated if anything. It has alot to do with the mental side of the game. With the C you bear new initiatives. The unexperienced players on the team will go to the C for advice whatnot. The Devils respond different with Niedermayer as captain over Stevens. A player like Modano can also be a more efficient leader with an A then he was with the C. Sometimes the pressure mounts.

Kasparov*

JasonMacIsaac said:
It is not overated....it is underated if anything. It has alot to do with the mental side of the game. With the C you bear new initiatives. The unexperienced players on the team will go to the C for advice whatnot. The Devils respond different with Niedermayer as captain over Stevens. A player like Modano can also be a more efficient leader with an A then he was with the C. Sometimes the pressure mounts.

It's true

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:

Well then if Niedermyer or Modano can't handle the pressure, then maybe they aren't much of a leader?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
MOGiLNY said:
I'm not sure I'd say it's overrated, but I see where you're coming from. With a team like this, they're pretty much all leaders. It might end up being more of a distinction than making a difference on the ice.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
MOGiLNY said:
Well then if Niedermyer or Modano can't handle the pressure, then maybe they aren't much of a leader?
But they are leaders....both are great leaders.....just not captain material. Some people handle the pressure different then others. Foote is an excellent A for Colorado.....he may not be all that great of a Captain though. There are different forms of leadership within a player.

Flyman

Jul 15, 2003
I'm happy for Richards! He deserves it.
We the Flyers are really lucky with MR as a captain for Team Canada and Jeff Carter an assistant!

Future looks good in Philly! :yo:

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Excellent picks.. even with Richards as captain

Between him and Phaneuf, Richards is probably the better outspoken leader in the dressing room.

Anyone still questioning Sutter as coach and how he picked the team?? This clearly shows that Sutter isn't playing favorites. He picked the best players to make the BEST TEAM and he picked the best captain for THE TEAM.

Can't wait for Christmas Day!

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
chriss_co said:
Excellent picks.. even with Richards as captain

Between him and Phaneuf, Richards is probably the better outspoken leader in the dressing room.

Anyone still questioning Sutter as coach and how he picked the team?? This clearly shows that Sutter isn't playing favorites. He picked the best players to make the BEST TEAM and he picked the best captain for THE TEAM.

Can't wait for Christmas Day!
I would stillrather Bourret on the team....he is continueing to light up the Q.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
But they are leaders....both are great leaders.....just not captain material. Some people handle the pressure different then others. Foote is an excellent A for Colorado.....he may not be all that great of a Captain though. There are different forms of leadership within a player.

I think if the player can't handle the pressure of wearing an extra letter on his jersey, then he's not much of a leader..

With the Leafs McCabe wore the 'A' all year long, but I highly doubt that's a "better leader" than Nieuwendyk who didn't get an 'A' till half the team got injured..

Kaberle too got the 'A' long before Nieuwendyk, but I'm 100% sure that Nieuwendyk, Francis or Leetch who were also on the Leaf team this year are much better leaders than Kaberle will ever be..

So again, that extra letter on the jersey does not prove anything, but if the player struggles once he's given that extra letter, then I definitely think that he's not leader material.

Reilly311

MOGiLNY said:

or they can't play without Stevens and Hatcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad