News Article: Mike Richards Best Kitchener Ranger Ever

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
For any Mike Richards fans, this is an article which celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Kitchener Rangers. They have a list of the top 50 Rangers ever and Mike Richards is ranked #1. Hard to argue with their reasoning , citing all the championships he's been a part of and the intangible s that make him a great leader.

Now, as the team celebrates its 50th anniversary season, Richards is one of the most successful players in franchise history with a list of accomplishments virtually unrivalled on the ice.

The 27-year-old has won six of hockey’s top championships — an OHL banner, Memorial Cup, world junior championship gold medal, the American Hockey League’s Calder Cup, Olympic gold and, this past spring, the granddaddy of them all, the Stanley Cup.

http://www.therecord.com/sports/rangers/article/857780--is-mike-richards-the-best-ranger-ever

Even tho I was aware 2 years ago when the hockey news wrote about him after he won Gold that 'when (not if) Mike Richards wins the Stanley Cup ... (citing he'd have all the team trophies there are to win) When the NHL wrote it in August that he has the 'distinction of being the only player in NHL history to win at every level', it still amazing to me and he's only 27. Stands to reason he's young enough(and driven, an elite competitor) and on avery good team , he should collect a few more tropies and medals before he hangs 'em up.

There are 5 photos in the article of him celebrating every championship.

There are comments from some of the coaches he's played for, all huge fans of the Richards the person as well as the player. I likd this from DeBoer, it really sums up what MR is about

For me, he has a coach’s mind in a world class player’s body,†said DeBoer. “He had that unique ability to know what was needed at the right time and the willingness to go and do it. Whether that was a big goal, a hit or a fight, he was willing to do any of the dirty work.â€

A really nice tribute to him, a good read if you're a fan.

bral

Go Kings!
Nov 30, 2004
Corona,CA
Thanks for the post. Glad to have Richie, wish we had drafted him but like Deadmarsh (my other fav) happy they found a way to the Kings.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Also a couple of blasts from the past in the top 50 list; mainly Petr Kanko, and Justin Azevedo, was shocked to see a few names on the list and other not make it.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I'm not saying he should or shouldn't have been named number one, but I do recall watching Richards back in his draft year and thinking the guy had an amazing compete level. I didn't think he'd be as good as he is in the NHL (I figured he'd be an ideal 3rd line centre who could chip in as a poor man's 2nd liner), but he was a treat to watch in Kitchener.

I recall him taking on Corey Perry in a playoff fight and giving him a good run. Richards was all heart on the sleeve back then. He's not quite that now, but he's still a heck of a competitor and it's why he's my favorite King and favorite NHLer.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I'm not saying he should or shouldn't have been named number one, but I do recall watching Richards back in his draft year and thinking the guy had an amazing compete level. I didn't think he'd be as good as he is in the NHL (I figured he'd be an ideal 3rd line centre who could chip in as a poor man's 2nd liner), but he was a treat to watch in Kitchener.

I recall him taking on Corey Perry in a playoff fight and giving him a good run. Richards was all heart on the sleeve back then. He's not quite that now, but he's still a heck of a competitor and it's why he's my favorite King and favorite NHLer.

I think part of it is maturity, part is injuries and part is the hit he put on David Booth a few years ago. He said he wouldn't blindside someone like that again and he hasn't. He was pretty shaken up when he saw Booth lying there. He still hits to hurt like he did to Krejci in the 2010 playoffs but he doesn't seem to hit quite as much but picks his spots instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad