Mike Ribeiro

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
All I hear is that I don't watch games, my assessment is wack, my expectations are too hig, blah blah blah, but that's still not an argument for Backlund, those are just arguments against me. Nevermind attacking my message, prove it wrong ...

1. Mikael Backlund has the best On-Ice Corsi ranking on the team
2. He plays the second most difficult minutes of all forwards (trailing only Iginla)
3. He would be on pace for 30 goals, and 45 points in a full season
4. He is only 23 years old.

The absolute last thing this team needs to do is to trade their best three zone player player at even strength who just so happens to be 23 years old for a one dimensional, soft, 33 year old UFA. It just does not make any sense.

Put your "GM Hat" on for a second and explain to me how that would be properly managing a young asset on this team when considering the state they are in today.

Mike Ribeiro is not a #1 center.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
What a ridiculous statement. I'm not sure how a player on pace for 29 goals and 45 points over a full season is a "borderline bust." Especially when that player in the best skater and defensive player in our forward ranks not named Glencross. Backlund will get more than 1 million for more term than one year.

Backlund has played, what 11 games? Backlund is also getting sheltered minutes. While I admit (again) he has looked better, this is a contract year for him. I hope I'm wrong about him. But what difference will it make when he'll land a Max 2-3 year deal and walk? Or at least hit his prime somewhere else, even if it's only 50 points. He's replaceable IMO.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Backlund has played, what 11 games? Backlund is also getting sheltered minutes. While I admit (again) he has looked better, this is a contract year for him. I hope I'm wrong about him. But what difference will it make when he'll land a Max 2-3 year deal and walk? Or at least hit his prime somewhere else, even if it's only 50 points. He's replaceable IMO.

Incorrect. As I mentioned above.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67+11+12+13+14+15+16

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Ribeirio is exactly what this team needs, it's true. A skilled, pesky #1 playmaking center. But there's just no way we can sacrifice the future for him. WAS would need a 1st + no doubt, and if Feaster made that trade, I'd disown this team I'm not even kidding.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
What a ridiculous statement. I'm not sure how a player on pace for 29 goals and 45 points over a full season is a "borderline bust." Especially when that player in the best skater and defensive player in our forward ranks not named Glencross. Backlund will get more than 1 million for more term than one year.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think the major issue is that ribierio won't help the team make the playoffs this season, so why send assets to acquire him in a trade when he could be signed as a free agent in July?

You haven't answered that question.

We do this every year. We never land that free agent center and then we're stuck picking up scraps. I think Stempniak + Backlund can be recovered more or less, but we can't obtain a #1 center. There's plenty of depth centres and wingers every year to pick from. There's 30 clubs chasing that much needed hole and chances are Riberio won't go for us. But at least if we obtain him for spare parts, it's a lateral move, it's not detrimental to the future and it fills holes in the organization for a short term until the organization can find a better solution.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Ribeirio is exactly what this team needs, it's true. A skilled, pesky #1 playmaking center. But there's just no way we can sacrifice the future for him. WAS would need a 1st + no doubt, and if Feaster made that trade, I'd disown this team I'm not even kidding.

This. If we were a contending team I would say give the first and let's try for a cup but we are a basement team right now. That first that Washington wants could be a Drouin, Nurse, Barkov or even a Elias Lindholm and I think we need to wait this season out and try and get that good center prospect not a 33 year old Centerman.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
I see. I stand corrected. It would seem Backlund has made bigger strides than I thought. I wonder, however, if this is the Backlund we'll get every year, or if we'll see last year's Backlund

IMO if Backlund can finally stay healthy, he will become a bonafide top 6 C in this league and for the Flames for years to come. I think at this point the only question is; will he become injury prone or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad