Mike Ribeiro best contract in the league?

ScubaSteve*

Sure it seems great now, but once he starts getting arrested, skipping practice, and never taking a shift shorter than two minutes, you probably won't feel the same way.

I was a pretty big Ribeiro fan and defended him quite a bit to the Montreal fans when Dallas picked him up. "He's a changed player" and "he has totally cleaned up his act" were common phrases, and they were even true for a while. But his act will wear thin before long and he'll be shipped off to the next city.

rickyrunfar

Mar 1, 2014
Not good enough for the ultimate reclamation project in nhl history. Cough Mac T cough. Good on Ribeiro

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
The story around town was that Ribeiro called Poile and wanted a shot in Nashville. Not sure why he picked the Preds, but glad he did and that Poile gave a chance. Apparently Mike even bought a house before being offered a contract here so that showed how bad he wanted to be here. That, and there isn't a ton to distract you around here from family life, minus broadway.

But to answer the question, yes it's the best contract in the NHL by far, as per production. I have no doubt he'll be earning himself a raise and probably with Nashville.

He asked people around the league about where a good place for his family would be. He chose Nashville because it is a great place to raise a family (especially for a celebrity). The people around Nashville are used to seeing celebrities and generally respect their privacy. He bought a house in Nashville before talking to Poile about playing for the Preds. So the answer is that he chose the city of Nashville for family reasons; playing for the Preds was secondary to his decision. Seems like it has worked out great for both Ribs and the Preds.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
We know that mike had some demons to fight , but we all know the man has great offensive skills..at 1 million its easy to say that hes currently the best contract in the league? 27 pts +14 and 1 of the big reason of forsberg eclosion.

i am happy nashville decided to give him a chance, the man still has plenty to offer .

I always get a little laugh out of these comments about "best contracts" in the League. Best for who, really? LOL.

I mean, of course it's the best contract for the team, but then that means it might actually be the worst contract from the player's perspective. What it is is that Nashville got a good deal on signing him!

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Looks like he might have his demons under control at the moment. Has been a good move for Nashville that's for sure.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
One of the top bargain contracts. Was still shocked when the Coyotes bought him out.

Not really shocking when you hear about his habits away from the rink. It's be alluded to in this thread, and everything the Cyotes said about the buyout aligns what I've been told.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
There was never any question about whether he was a high end NHL level player. The question was (and is) if he can play in the NHL for the duration of a contract that isn't just a show-me contract.

That's not really true. He signed a 5 year contract in Dallas and went on to have some damn good seasons. The implication here is untrue. Without taking GP into account, over the 4 years in Dallas he averaged 66 points per season, including a 66 and 74 game campaign. On a per 82 game basis he averaged a little over 71 points per 82 games. None of those were contract years.

He's a damn good player who has some issues. The extent of which is left to conjecture but he is a competitor. I'm glad he's having a good year in Nashville.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
he is definitely a great deal right now for nashville. however, he might be one of those cases where it is best to always keep him on relatively short contracts-- not because he doesn't deserve a long contract but because it will help ground him.

the hockey community is pretty closed lip about player's off ice and locker room habits. the fact that some of ribeiro's behavioural issues have come out tells a lot about how bad they were (jay baruchel apparently based the xavier laflamme character on ribeiro anecdotes)

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Riberio gets hate because he squanders such talent. It's like Picasso doodling on paper napkin and selling it for a few bucks just to get stoned. Not saying Riberio is the Picasso of hockey, but he's very talented and could've been a monster if he focused on his game, body condition and team systems.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
There's a reason all he could get was a $1 million dollar 1 year contract. Convenient of the OP to ignore that reason.

Essentially, his contract was a gamble. It's paid off so far, but that doesn't make it the best contract in the league in my opinion.

Last edited:

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
There's a reason all he could get was a $1 million dollar 1 year contract. Convenient of the OP to ignore that reason.

OP didn't ignore anything and doesn't make his contract any less valuable.

Anyways with the salary cap not really rising like people thought a lot of quality players had to wait quite a while because no one had space to offer anything more than 1m-1.5m.

Mike Santorelli and Daniel Winnik both signed for nothing this offseason because there was no one out there able to pay more.

AHB*

Tavares has the best contract in the league.

Thanks John for seeing the team's future success and giving them a chance to sign depth.

You are probably right and it's very similar to McDonagh's contract with the Rangers 4.7/6.

Thing is, both of these players are going to be in their primes when this contract is up and if they continue to play at their respective elite levels, they know they are in for a long, huge payday.

Personally, I don't think either player mistakenly signed these contracts the way they did. They got a little more up front money and a longer term, then they will certainly cash in massively on their "last" deal.

I think there's a good chance both have career earnings of over 100 Million, if they continue their high level play.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
When Ribs was bought out in Arizona and we still needed to go after a center, I wanted no part of him.

After Poile got him I was skeptical, but then I read about what took place before the signing. About how Ribeiro and his wife looked to other players for insight on good, family-oriented places to live so that they could work on their at-home issues without distractions. About how Ribeiro called Poile to talk with him, and about how Poile didn't talk to Mike about hockey, but about life and family.

It seems as though Ribs has really decided he wants to turn it around. He sought help for the problems he had. He looked for ways to continue fighting those problems by moving to a place that might help him. Someone mentioned he asked the NHL to be tested regularly to help keep him motivated. He swallowed his pride and took a 1yr/$1m contract to show that he wants to be better.

The guy has a career .76 PPG average. That puts him just outside of the top 30 active players, and that's after a fairly bad season last year (a year in which his off-the-ice issues got to the breaking point). This year, after he has looked to turn it all around, he's at .87, so above his career average.

Everyone deserves a second chance, and so long as they are taking the right steps towards correcting the things that need to be corrected maybe even more than a second chance is fine. Here's hoping he keeps his head on right, keeps his perspective, especially with regard to his home life, and plays like he has been for the rest of the year. :cheers:

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
There is no doubt his past is filled with dirt bag behavior but to his credit it seems like he has faced his issues head on and is trying to deal with them. Also considering the alleged rockstar lifestyle he has been leading for quite some time he still looks very youthful on the ice. At 35 years old it's really hard to tell his age out there. So far he has been the steal on the year and hopefully he can continue on his upward trend and we can lock him down for another 2 years or so this summer.

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
There is no doubt his past is filled with dirt bag behavior but to his credit it seems like he has faced his issues head on and is trying to deal with them. Also considering the alleged rockstar lifestyle he has been leading for quite some time he still looks very youthful on the ice. At 35 years old it's really hard to tell his age out there. So far he has been the steal on the year and hopefully he can continue on his upward trend and we can lock him down for another 2 years or so this summer.

YES! Perfect post

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
So is Ribiero better than Forsberg?

If not doesn't that make Forsberg the better value.

Use context

Forsberg is on his ELC, turned 20 just prior to the season and had 6 points in 18 games prior to the start of the year.

Ribero has 684 career points and was PPG just two seasons ago.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
We know that mike had some demons to fight , but we all know the man has great offensive skills..at 1 million its easy to say that hes currently the best contract in the league? 27 pts +14 and 1 of the big reason of forsberg eclosion.

i am happy nashville decided to give him a chance, the man still has plenty to offer .

Best contract is either Toews or Kane.

OVs Gold Chain*

Ribeiro is downy soft come playoff time. Gets pushed around and becomes basically non-existent.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Ribeiro is downy soft come playoff time. Gets pushed around and becomes basically non-existent.

Valid criticism but I would say he's soft right now and avoids contact. But he still is very effective even without that. He is good at using his body to shield the puck and he makes quick unpredictable passes that create scoring chances and of course he has silky hands. In Washington I believe he depended on the PP. He's producing here 5 on 5.

I can't really refute your argument because I haven't seen him in the playoffs. I suppose we will find out this upcoming April.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad