Player Discussion Mike Reilly (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
donghabs98 said:
How he comes to camp and performs in the preseason will be big. He showed glimpses of what he can bring to the team (puck moving D). If he can prove that he's improved defensively then I see him making the team. If not I can see the Habs trying to sneak him through waivers or dealing him for another project player.
The Reilly's contract ending up when? In which summer? Summer 2019?
Habs said:
Another victim of a stubborn and dinosaur of a coach, hating a player and its all over. There's no coming back from a bad game, unless you are in CJ's good books, for whatever reason,.. its pathetic. Therrien, CJ.. the cycle continues.
So what's about the theory of Reilly not listening to his coaches? It's true? It's false? It could be true... It could false... What's his personality?
Tyson said:
He is simply not very good. Minnesota gave him away for a reason. I would have no issue if he received no qualifying offer from the Habs. Habs need better players than this.
That's my conclusion too...
26Mats said:
I like Reilly in spite of his occasional bone head plays. So I'm definitely not on the same page as Julien on this one. I think he's very close to Kulak in overall ability. Kulak is more steady. Reilly has higher peaks and lower valleys. I just don't understand that CJ has given up on him. Having said that, I do think it's possible Claude is right on this one, unlike other moves. (for example I was dead against trying a Weise-Thompson-Dlo line that he was so excited to try). So, maybe he's right that Reilly does more harm than good. I don't see it. And, I think with a little more continuous time in the lineup he could gain confidence and cut down on the bad plays. But I do acknowledge that I may be wrong on this one.
I liked him. Then I disliked him. Not a liability player in defense. Showing off abusively.
L4br3cqu3 said:
Don't quite understand the fuss about Reilly, he just isn't that good, that's all, he's a bottom pairing D at best, as much as I dislike the play time of Benn, he was miles better, and Kulak was way better too. A gamble that cost us only a 5th rounder. Next.
Was good. Went at the opposite zone afterwards... That's the true MR ? There were some truthful hype atb. His curve f***ed up instantly...
Eagle Peninsula said:
Reilly was phenomenal in the first month of the season. We saw he can be great at his best, that's what the fuss is about. He obviously then regressed back to what made Minnesota give up on him and never really got his early season flair back. Unfortunately, his flaws seem to be something that are hard to fix at this point of his career.
Consistency > Inconsistency
Agalloch said:
I don't expect him to be at camp.
With the recent signings, it's merely tough. His spot is far away from his teammates there.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
It's really bizarre. He looked so good at times. Early in the season it seemed like he was taking a big step... at this point he may want to move on.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I had high hopes for this player...but Kulak ended up being what I expected from him.

Not sure how I feel about him moving forward, i'd give him a contract though.

Reactions: calder candidate

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Not all that surprised he didn't pan out. Likeliest scenario is that he isn't qualified, but might try to get something in a trade.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
From a possible defenseman first pair partner... To an official scratch and flop partner... That, escalated quickly for Reilly. At first, being a hero. At the ending, being a zero.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
It's really bizarre. He looked so good at times. Early in the season it seemed like he was taking a big step... at this point he may want to move on.
This season was supposedly his season. The structure of play was adapted to Reilly...
I had high hopes for this player...but Kulak ended up being what I expected from him. Not sure how I feel about him moving forward, i'd give him a contract though.
Me not such high hopes. Normal hopes, you know... Like not ending up as now. The spot was openly open to him. How was your high hopes? I'm sure the relationship is over, like imho...
Not all that surprised he didn't pan out. Likeliest scenario is that he isn't qualified, but might try to get something in a trade.
Getting something before the 2019's draft?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Reilly: Eager to deliver

He's working on his core to be better in the corners and his shooting.

It shouldn't come as a surprise, then, that Reilly has made his shooting technique a point of emphasis this summer.
"I usually get my own ice and design drills that are like game situations. I'll do the little things like shooting from the point and shooting from different position, picking pucks off the wall and retrievals. You do things that emulate games as much as you can. You don't always get that in scrimmages, so it's the best of both worlds, " mentioned Reilly, who amassed a career-high three goals this past season. "I like to shoot pucks in my basement a lot, too. We have concrete down there and sideboards to shoot off of and some things you can pass off of for one-timers."

Thank God because last year his shot was so inaccurate.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

It shouldn't come as a surprise, then, that Reilly has made his shooting technique a point of emphasis this summer.
"I usually get my own ice and design drills that are like game situations. I'll do the little things like shooting from the point and shooting from different position, picking pucks off the wall and retrievals. You do things that emulate games as much as you can. You don't always get that in scrimmages, so it's the best of both worlds, " mentioned Reilly, who amassed a career-high three goals this past season. "I like to shoot pucks in my basement a lot, too. We have concrete down there and sideboards to shoot off of and some things you can pass off of for one-timers."

I don't see it happening, but it would be real nice if one of the guys internally steps up. Reilly looked real good at the start of last season.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
I thought that, last year, he had a good start of the season. Then, he was really bad for a long period. When he finally came back in the roster, he was less confident but that wasn't particularly a bad thing. He'd do simple plays and was much better than in mid-season. It might not be over for him if he can just simplify his game and be effective.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I don't see it happening, but it would be real nice if one of the guys internally steps up. Reilly looked real good at the start of last season.
Yep, I was admitedly high on him going into the season but his play declined as the season went on. That being said, I never thought he was terrible even in his not so good stretches (I didn't like Schlemko playing over him). IMO he's an NHLer, he just isn't good enough offensively to justify being put in the top 4 beside Petry.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think Reilly ever regressed to the point where he was healthy scratch material.

It looked to me as a numbers game, as there were a number of dmen around his level that were also playing well.

Benn, kulak, and folin also didn't give much reason to have themselves scratched as long as they were in their right chair.

If he had any semblance of offense in his game, he would really stand out from that pack. The tease is that he shows the ability to create chances, but that final execution is just not there.

You can say the same thing about Beaulieu, and even mete, but at least mete seems to be a smarter player. Mete also has time on his side, and I'm curious how things go for him offensively once he finally gets that first one.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Very surprised at the two year extension he received. Great skater that brings nothing else, especially defensively

Reactions: MistaWa16

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Very surprised at the two year extension he received. Great skater that brings nothing else, especially defensively

I still have him ahead of Ouellet. And you only get AHL guys with a lower offer. He's here in case there's a rash of injuries, I imagine.

Reactions: Tyson

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

He seems to lack confindence. Hopefully he can be more sure of himself as he gets older. He's got to make up his mind when he goes for it and then make up his mind when he comes back on D.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I still have him ahead of Ouellet. And you only get AHL guys with a lower offer. He's here in case there's a rash of injuries, I imagine.

If we could just transplant Ouellet's head on to Reilly's neck we would have a player. This kid is such a fantastic skater but is dumb as a post, and soft like butter.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
If Mike Reilly managed to play all of next year like he did in he first 15 games or so of last season and keep that level of play for a couple seasons, we'd have no more problems on LHD in the present and in the foreseeable future. That said, it probably won't happen.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
At the beginning of last season, Reilly played so well he looked like a potential partner for Shea Weber when he returned from injury. He admitted Tuesday that got to his head.
“I’d say the one thing I took away from last year was, the way the first 10 or 15 games went, I think I got a little complacent, a little bit too comfortable,” he said. “Obviously at the time you don’t really realize that because you think things are going well. I think I got a bit too comfortable. That’s one thing, each day for me is a tryout, that’s how I’ve got to approach it. If it’s two good games in a row it doesn’t matter, I’m not established like some of these other guys are.”

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He's done. Regression over regression. Waste of a spot. Totally irresponsible. I can't stand his behavior.

He is as dumb as a bag of hammers and should not be in the NHL. I don't know if Romanov will be ready next season but is likely already better than Reilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad