Recalled/Assigned: Mike Reilly Getting the Call

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
That's the right call. 1 more point than Olofsson in 9 less games. Also, 1 of only 3 Iowa d-men with a positive +/-.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
The argument for Olofsson is that he plays a style closer to Brodin's.

I hope Bruce makes pairings that will work best instead of just ordering best to worst.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Suter - Dumba
Reilly - Spurgeon
Scandella - Folin

I don't trust Reilly's defensive game enough to get 2nd pair minutes. I don't think the Reilly/Spurgeon will work well.

I'm not a Spurgeon fan (as some may have noticed), but he does play a very cerebral game. Part of what makes him so good is reading off of his d-partner. Suter, Brodin, and Scandella are all very consistent in how they play (primarily stay at home defenders). It gives him more freedom to go and do Spurgeon things. Reilly is closer to a 4th FWD than stay at home d-man. It'll force Spurgeon into a more stay at home role, and that will take away the freedom to do the Spurgeon things that makes him excel.

Spurgeon things isn't meant in a negative way. I just don't have the words to properly express what I mean.

Suter/Dumba
Scandella/Spurgeon
Reilly/Folin- protected minutes.

PP:
Suter/Dumba
Reilly/Spurgeon

PK:
Suter/Spurgeon
Scandella/Folin

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think you read too much into pairings if you think being paired with Spurgeon would mean he gets equal minutes to Spurgeon.

Pairing him with Spurgeon would have him on the 2nd pair in name only... Scandella would obviously still get more minutes... meaning he would take shifts with Spurgeon as well as Folin.

Spurgeon would also exceed Dumba in minutes meaning he would see shifts with Reilly, Scandella and Suter.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think you read too much into pairings if you think being paired with Spurgeon would mean he gets equal minutes to Spurgeon.

Pairing him with Spurgeon would have him on the 2nd pair in name only... Scandella would obviously still get more minutes... meaning he would take shifts with Spurgeon as well as Folin.

Spurgeon would also exceed Dumba in minutes meaning he would see shifts with Reilly, Scandella and Suter.

That's pretty much how pairings work. 5v5, the ToI is usually pretty close. The shift after PK/PP is usually a funky pair, but settles into a normal routine after that.

Spurgeon partner even strength
-Suter 88.3%
-Brodin 4%

Suter
-Spurgeon 70.2%
-Dumba 21.3%
-Scandella 3.4%

Brodin
-Folin 45.2%
-Dumba 40%
-Scandella 7.5%

Dumba
-Brodin 38.4%
-Suter 28.8%
-Scandella 21.2%
-Reilly 9.9% (I try really hard to forget these minutes)

all stats from http://dobberhockey.com/

I tend to notice more when the pairings are different throughout the game than what is expected. I see Spurgeon or Suter on the ice I expect to see the other one out there too. Like I expect to see Koivu and Granny on the ice if Zucker if out there.

Eye Floater

Feb 3, 2009
USA
Gross. We replace one of our best defensive defensemen with a guy who often looks clueless in the d-zone. Definitely should have been Olofsson.

If this is solely about Reilly taking Brodin's spot on the PP, that's a mistake IMO.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I don't trust Reilly's defensive game enough to get 2nd pair minutes. I don't think the Reilly/Spurgeon will work well.

If you'd prefer:

Suter - Dumba
Reilly (>10mins) / Scandella (>10 mins) - Spurgeon
Scandella (>10 mins) - Folin

Rotate Reilly & Scandella on 2nd pairing with Spurgeon. Scandella also filling in on the 3rd pairing with Folin. All-in-all, Scandella will play roughly 18-20 minutes.

I dislike the idea of pairing Reilly & Folin because if they get caught on the ice with the opposing team's top line, they're in trouble.

Gross. We replace one of our best defensive defensemen with a guy who often looks clueless in the d-zone. Definitely should have been Olofsson.

If this is solely about Reilly taking Brodin's spot on the PP, that's a mistake IMO.

Reilly has better numbers (offensive & defensive) than Olofsson in Iowa. Boudreau discussed the call-up with Iowa's coach. I'm sure they chose the right player for the right reasons.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I'd honestly rather see Olofsson. I feel like we know better what we are getting in Reilly, and he's still very raw. Maybe he has had a big development jump in the last few months but I've heard so much of Olofsson without getting to see him I hope he gets a stretch of games as well.

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
After seeing Olofson last call up, from what I saw he was noticeably thin.. like beanpole thin. Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I think it is but I feel like he needs to add some weight and muscle before he's NHL ready? One push into the boards or one big hit and he could be broken.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I can't pretend to know much about Reilly or his game compared to others but what I've seen I like. Hope he plays well.

I would compare him closely to Dumba. Both have some flash and dash, both like to take chances, and both have a tendency to get burned on occasion.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I would compare him closely to Dumba. Both have some flash and dash, both like to take chances, and both have a tendency to get burned on occasion.
Yep, he can be very flashy on offense, but has his lapses on defense.

I hope he develops and eventually takes Brodin's spot on top of the PP2, because he's great running point on a PP unit.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

I'm with you.

I'm not down in Iowa, so I'm definitely giving the benefit of the doubt to the Wild staff as to who is more fit to come up. Kind of disturbing to me that Olofsson is not considered ready enough to see NHL time.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Yup. LH version of Dumba. Dumba more powerful, Reilly with more finesse. An Offenseman.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I'm with you.

I'm not down in Iowa, so I'm definitely giving the benefit of the doubt to the Wild staff as to who is more fit to come up. Kind of disturbing to me that Olofsson is not considered ready enough to see NHL time.

Why? He's been injured the past 2 years? Let him play big minutes and continue to develop. For all we know this is just the initial callup and their spots could be swapped in a week or two.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Why? He's been injured the past 2 years? Let him play big minutes and continue to develop. For all we know this is just the initial callup and their spots could be swapped in a week or two.

Because his game would be a better replacement for Brodin than Reilly, and the fact that they don't consider him ready, after a healthy year so far, hints that he isn't progressing. Hoping he doesn't turn into the defense version of Bulmer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->