Confirmed with Link: Mike Reilly extended for 2 years (1.5M AAV)

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Reilly offensive upside is there, but I don't see him ever being solid defensively.

That goal last year where he cut to the net and deked back to tuck it in was a beauty - but it wasn't long after that the mgmt scratched him.

The fact they are signing him for two years is surprising, I agree.

Reactions: sharks9 and Redux91

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Decent player that makes too many mental errors. Might improve with age, but has shown he can be a #5/#6. Why are we complaining again? This is just insurance and covering your bases for down the stretch.

People are probably complaining because we have like 5 guys that are insurance/fringe NLHers on D. (maybe not 5 but you get it)

Reactions: Runner77

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Already had this guy for 1.5 years, he is still relatively young. We know him, what he needs to work on, how he reacts to the coaching staff.

Why not instead of bringing in another guy for around the same price that the org doesn't know at all. Everyone and their mother knows that MB likes to have defensemen out the ass. Its his MO since coming to Montreal he will always have lots of D.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Already had this guy for 1.5 years, he is still relatively young. We know him, what he needs to work on, how he reacts to the coaching staff.

Why not instead of bringing in another guy for around the same price that the org doesn't know at all. Everyone and their mother knows that MB likes to have defensemen out the ass. Its his MO since coming to Montreal he will always have lots of D.

Did you really need to bring in another guy of his caliber though?

I mean it’s fine I guess... but why 2 years?

Is he not planning to address the glaring issue at LD and still go in with Mete, Kulak and Reilly as his LDs next season? That’s hands down the worst LD lineup in the NHL. AINEC.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Better be planning to play him in top 6... And be sure CJ is fully bought into that...

Otherwise, terrible & unecessary signing.

Bargainbin rides again.

Right now, Reilly is our 3rd LD.

If we trade for a better one, it is possible Reilly or Kulak goes back the other way, or we'll have a 7th D who can play bottom minutes. No big deal.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Massive overpayment for a D who is no better than a 6-8 on the depth chart. A qualifying offer was all that was needed.

Reactions: Chez Jesperi

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Reilly was really good at times last year. I'm happy he was not bitter about not playing down the stretch. I guess he knows he needs to work on his game and improve. That's good.
He didn’t play down the stretch because he was not good enough to unseat any of the regulars

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I liked him a lot in the NCAA but clearly Julien isn't a fan. I don't mind him being back, I just don't get how he got 2 years and double his salary when he played so little in the 2nd half. At one point he had 4 pts over 38 games. That said I don't mind him as the 6th/7th D, just not at 1.5 for 2 years.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Thats true. I dont remember a trade that Bergevin that did help the roster with a better player . Domi was a swap with galchenyuk. Danault was a risk.
Byron is just pure luck.

Thomas Vanek maybe and Jeff Petry.... and thats it lol

Yes, if you make excuses to minimize the impact of all his good trades, Bergevin hasn't made any good trades.

Reactions: Habby4Life

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Well he based his career upon that. Some kids around here probably did not see him play but he was the very definition of a meh player. It always amazed me (way before he became our gm) the number of games he was able to play. I think he was the type of players better in the locker room than on the ice cause on the ice there was not much there certainly not enough for almost 1200 games. The guy must have played for like 8 or 9 teams something like that.

You nailed it, he was filler with a capital F. Just as average as a guy could get, but everyone claimed he was a good guy in the room.... I suppose being Mario’s buddy didn’t hurt either.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
This team has too many roster players; especially if they get any of the guys they are rumoured after. However, it is not hard to move some of these guys; including Reilly for a late round pick and load up for the draft in Montreal. And if we lose a few via waivers then there is not big loss. Load up the team and see where they land. Reilly is worth more signed for the team than letting him walk.

Reactions: scrubadam

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I liked him a lot in the NCAA but clearly Julien isn't a fan. I don't mind him being back, I just don't get how he got 2 years and double his salary when he played so little in the 2nd half. At one point he had 4 pts over 38 games. That said I don't mind him as the 6th/7th D, just not at 1.5 for 2 years.

I think the market changed drastically since Kulak's deal, hence Reilly gets a deal very close to Kulak's.

Benn now knows he'll probably get like 3 million on the open market. Hence there's a danger of Reilly getting offer sheet-ed more than his current deal. Since we're losing Benn, and not sure we'll acquire anyone else, might as well get Reilly signed.

Reactions: scrubadam

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Don't mind the signing as long as we're looking at adding to LD still. Reilly has potential to be a solid D. Maybe not a star, but with the right partner he can be put in a very good position to play to his strengths.

Mete
Reilly
Petry
Kulak
can all skate well, that's critical for our blueline. It might not result in points but that mobility helps us keep the puck in the offensive zone and keeps the pace up.

I think it's a devil-you-know situation, where they might as well keep Reilly because another Dman with wheels (and question marks) might cost more.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Right now, Reilly is our 3rd LD.

If we trade for a better one, it is possible Reilly or Kulak goes back the other way, or we'll have a 7th D who can play bottom minutes. No big deal.

If that happens, then I'll be happily stand corrected.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Nothing wrong with that move. Reilly is a known asset, we only had two other LD (Mete & Kulak) under contract that can play in the NHL and with a market that thin any depth would have cost the same. At least we know what Reilly brings to the team and if ever a move is made to get a defenseman he can fight Folin for the 7th place.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Reilly’s signing signals to me that Bergevin has the 3 LD he wants. Mete, Kulak and Reilly....ouch

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
Really liked him in the pre-season and the first few games in the regular season. Not sure what happened to him after that...

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Really liked him in the pre-season and the first few games in the regular season. Not sure what happened to him after that...

Got caught in the shuffle when Chu-Rien slowly suffocated the team as his anxiety levels rose.

As always.

Don't understand how the two clowns still have jobs after missing the playoffs two years in a row, especially when that MEAGRE status is their stated goal.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
He had great flashes last year. Must be banking he puts it together, and if he does that contract will look cheap. If he doesn’t, can he sent to the ahl for minimal cap hit. And the whole expansion draft thing...

Not a big deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad