Confirmed with Link: Mike Reilly extended for 2 years (1.5M AAV)

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
6-7M is basically what we can reasonably project right now. We have 8.7 right now, that increases to about 11.6 with Alzner, Weise, and Poehling in the AHL, and Lehkonen + Armia will likely take something in the range of 4.5-5.5 combined, leaving roughly 6-7M. That basically takes the Habs out of the running for Duchene unless they're going to move someone else (which I'll believe when I see it and not a second before that), and makes Gardiner unlikely as well. The point isn't that Reilly for 1.5M x 2 is some franchise ruining anchor. It's that all these little overpays which aren't really a big deal in isolation suddenly become a big deal when there's a handful of them on the roster, especially when that roster already has Shaw at 3.9, Byron at 3.4, and Alzner at 3.6 buried.

Remove Reilly and we still dont have enough for duchene (with lehkonen and armia signed). It makes no difference.

But I would assume that MB would much rather have duchene than lehkonen and/or armia.

So 11.6 - 9.5 (duchene contract) = 2.1 M left, which is probably enough to sign lehkonen as well.

We have enough cap to sign duchene, just not enough to sign duchene and both of lehkonen and armia. I couldnt care less of trading armia if we got duchene.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Do you guys remember that they stated that last year too? How did that work out?

Again, I'M ALSO expecteing a move to be made. I just can't believe we are done. But seeing how Bergevin operates, it scares me. That's all. But logic DOES suggest we are not done.

I would actually be surprised if we are done, despite my other posts. I just don't have much faith in MB. He sucks.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I would actually be surprised if we are done, despite my other posts. I just don't have much faith in MB. He sucks.

Same for me. We are not done. We can't be. For me, what he's doing though so far, is really a testament as to how he likes his team. And that you have to believe that he seriously think we are not that far. Which is for me a big problem. But as far as this summer is concerned, yeah, we are not done.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
10 pages in 2 hours discussing a 7thD signing??? That's Habs all over. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just Bargain Bin Berg doing his thing.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Remove Reilly and we still dont have enough for duchene (with lehkonen and armia signed). It makes no difference.
Having a range of 6M-7M or 7M-8.5M for sure makes a difference. That's the difference between a competitive offer on Gardiner or being an also-ran. It's the difference between being able to take back a large salary in a trade for futures and having to do other maneuvering to fit a player under the cap. Look at how cheap New Jersey was able to get Subban because they didn't have to send back any real money. It's the difference between adding someone like Pavelski/Nyquist/Zuccarello/Dzingel and being done or adding one of those guys and being able to do something else.

Speaking of Nashville...Irwin and Weber (675k each) are both better than Reilly, and signed as UFAs for less combined to be a 4th pairing than Reilly does to be our #6-7. Dan Hamhuis makes 250k less to be their #5 than Reilly does to be scratched half the games. That's why I get frustrated when the Habs throw a 3M contract at a plug that was scratched half the year. Why does every single Habs depth plug have to get the upper end of market value on contracts signed in May or June when other teams seem to do just fine paying their depth very little.

Last edited:

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
UFA? - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Mete - Juulsen
Reilly, Folin

Who goes if we find someone for the top pair?

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
This is a better value-for-money deal for the club than Gardiner at whatever stupid UFA $$$ and term he's after. If Gardiner gets signed here, expect a meltdown that would rival Philly's non-draft of Caulfield anger.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Decent player that makes too many mental errors. Might improve with age, but has shown he can be a #5/#6. Why are we complaining again? This is just insurance and covering your bases for down the stretch.

Reactions: Vachon23

Jul 6, 2016
Insurance policy. That's it. Reilly is better than most scrubs that had played LD in the last 2 years for the Habs.

You prefer Morrow ? Ouellet ? Davidson ?

Benn would had been allright but he's asking too much.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He has played 100+ games the last two seasons. He's perfectly fine as a #7-8 defenceman and an #1 injury replacement on LD. Otherwise we'd have to use Ouellet or an unproven Olofsson. It also gives Bergevin some insurance in negotiating trades and UFA talks. Plus, some of those players may be lost on waivers after the training camp. The only thing that surprised me about this signing is the term. But, as someone pointed out, it gives us a body we are obligated to have, in order to expose in the expansion draft.

Thank you !

Reactions: Archijerej

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->