Mike Portnoy rejoins Dream Theater

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
That IS a surprise, and is probably for the best.

Mangini is an absurd player, but MP brought a songwriting element to the band that Mangini doesn't have. I haven't really cared for anything DT has done since Black Clouds & Silver Linings which was also MP's last album, so...

Reactions: flyersnorth

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I'm kinda torn.

I love MP and the musicality he adds in his drumming, and he's a founding member of course.

But I finally grew to appreciate MM to the point where I felt that the drumming on AVFTTOTW was the best I'd ever heard in Dream Theater and I was looking forward to the next release to see if he could push himself even further. It sounded like he and the band were finally in sync and bringing out the best in each other.

I honestly haven't enjoyed anything MP has done outside of Dream Theater except for LTE3 - all his projects were kind of bland IMO.

My guess is that DT knows they only have a few more albums in the tank before calling it (Rudess is 66), and want to go out with MP back in the fold.

Metropolis, part III would be an epic way to cap off a brilliant career.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm kinda torn.

I love MP and the musicality he adds in his drumming, and he's a founding member of course.

But I finally grew to appreciate MM to the point where I felt that the drumming on AVFTTOTW was the best I'd ever heard in Dream Theater and I was looking forward to the next release to see if he could push himself even further. It sounded like he and the band were finally in sync and bringing out the best in each other.

I honestly haven't enjoyed anything MP has done outside of Dream Theater except for LTE3 - all his projects were kind of bland IMO.

My guess is that DT knows they only have a few more albums in the tank before calling it (Rudess is 66), and want to go out with MP back in the fold.

Metropolis, part III would be an epic way to cap off a brilliant career.

Holy shit I had no idea Rudess was 66. He does not look it lol.

As far as MP's solo stuff - I loved the first Winery Dogs record, but the next two were very meh to me.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Holy shit I had no idea Rudess was 66. He does not look it lol.

As far as MP's solo stuff - I loved the first Winery Dogs record, but the next two were very meh to me.

I'm not a fan of Kotzen's voice and style so it was hard for me to get into Winery Dogs.

I had high hopes for Adrenaline Mob because of Russell Allen but that also felt kinda underwhelming. Hopefully the new Symphony X release knocks it out of the park, but honestly the Michael Romeo solo stuff has been incredible and I want more of that!

Then there's the Neal Morse stuff. I was a fan of Spock's Beard back in the day, and some Morse stuff, but I just can't get into it now.

So Portnoy is now back home. I'm super curious to see what they come up with. LTE3 was really solid.

Their next tour is going to be quite epic, I'd say.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm not a fan of Kotzen's voice and style so it was hard for me to get into Winery Dogs.

I had high hopes for Adrenaline Mob because of Russell Allen but that also felt kinda underwhelming. Hopefully the new Symphony X release knocks it out of the park, but honestly the Michael Romeo solo stuff has been incredible and I want more of that!

Kotzen is an virtuoso talent but I can see how his voice can grate.

I forgot about Adrenaline Mob. I liked a few songs off Omerta but didn't care about anything after that since the members changed.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Kotzen is an virtuoso talent but I can see how his voice can grate.

It's just a preference thing. If I had a dollar for every time someone said "Dream Theater has excellent music.. but I can't stand the vocalist," I'd be rich haha.

I totally understand how LaBrie can be irritating for some (most?). Same with Geddy and Mustaine, who I both love, but yeah, they are an acquired taste!

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad