Claimed off Waivers: Mike McKenna (Flyers)

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005

Actually he will be joining his 9th NHL team if I've got my facts straight. As far as I know McKenna has:

Played for:

-Arizona
-Columbus
-Dallas
-New Jersey
-Ottawa
-Tampa Bay

Backup only for:

-Florida
-Vancouver

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Wow, that's rough on the family. Wishing Mike stays up, gets some NHL bucks, gets in a game, and he has a good showing.
Then maybe he should get a 9-5 job. I bet she isn't complaining about him making more than the average joe while not even working a film year

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
And I'm sure that she's also quite happy her husband got claimed considering his NHL salary is 4x his AHL salary.

Pretty much this. Especially considering he's 35. He'll be retired in a few years anyways, and he'll have all the time in the world to stay at home.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Pretty much this. Especially considering he's 35. He'll be retired in a few years anyways, and he'll have all the time in the world to stay at home.

if he is able to stay retired after that career he is a financial wizard.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
As a parent, I feel bad, but the guy is 35. Even if he was a starter, the clock is running out on him. The life of a pro athlete is not your run of the mill parent to begin with. Even if he wasn't moved to 9 teams, going on road trips, constant travel, etc. is going to take you away from your family more than the average guy. The way this guy gets around, his family should buy an RV and follow him around. Home school the kids for the next year or two until he hangs them up and then find a job and go live the normal guy life. He should try to get an endorsement deal with Tim Horton's because nobody has been called up for more cups of coffee in more places than this guy.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Flyers have 3 goalies hurt with all 3 "due" to be back with 2 weeks.

They play 8 games until Jan 19th...then are off from 20th then play again on 28th.

He very likely will be back on waivers before Jan 21st.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I was going to make a joke, but I feel too bad for Philly fans. The skaters on that team are so good on paper. With a legit starter they should be a Cup threat.
The problem is that they aren't on paper when they play. They should be a good team in fantasy hockey, but in real life they are awful! All they ever do is pass the puck to each other....that is until Voracek gets it and leaves a blind drop pass that results in another turnover!

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
weird take.

you think he should have kept mckenna in the nhl and buried demko? or should he have kept nilsson when his coach didn't trust him and the team won't play in front of him?

i mean i guess they knew there was a risk some team would be desperate enough to claim a 35 year old career ahl goalie with a 3.96 gaa this season in the nhl, but can you really manage your team based on that?
Nah I overreacted. I got worried about Utica, and I was tired af. So I wasn't thinking straight. I was on the #CallUpDemko train.

However there is other moves I'm not a fan of.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
I think he means dealing Archibald, Carcone (easily justifiable given the return in Leivo), bringing up Demko, not sending Gagner to Utica, Holm for Leipsic, Subban for Dowd, etc. Benning has made a lot of moves over the last year or so that have made Utica less competitive.
This. However I'm happy with Vancouver giving Demko a shot.

swflyers93

Nov 19, 2007
Norristown, PA
Operation Lose 4 Hughes is going smoothly.....
PSX-20190103-222047.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad