Claimed off Waivers: Mike McKenna (Flyers)

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
So many of Benning's moves have hurt Utica. This is just flat out poor asset management.

weird take.

you think he should have kept mckenna in the nhl and buried demko? or should he have kept nilsson when his coach didn't trust him and the team won't play in front of him?

i mean i guess they knew there was a risk some team would be desperate enough to claim a 35 year old career ahl goalie with a 3.96 gaa this season in the nhl, but can you really manage your team based on that?

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
weird take.

you think he should have kept mckenna in the nhl and buried demko? or should he have kept nilsson when his coach didn't trust him and the team won't play in front of him?

i mean i guess they knew there was a risk some team would be desperate enough to claim a 35 year old career ahl goalie with a 3.96 gaa this season in the nhl, but can you really manage your team based on that?
Probably Utica Bachmans done for the year they have no goalie

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Last year Vegas was able to call up Dylan Ferguson from the WHL as en emergency. Maybe the Canucks can do that with Dipietro.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Very easy to root for him. That being said he gets to play friggen hockey for a living, I'd be taking it in stride too.

Sure its nice to play hockey for a living, and this is kind of the sacrifice you make, but its not as though its the perfect job. Lots of time away from family (as his wifes tweets detail), etc.

Reactions: NDiesel

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Please explain lol.

I think he means dealing Archibald, Carcone (easily justifiable given the return in Leivo), bringing up Demko, not sending Gagner to Utica, Holm for Leipsic, Subban for Dowd, etc. Benning has made a lot of moves over the last year or so that have made Utica less competitive.

Reactions: LuckyBoeser

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Defs feel for his family, his wife did a good job at articulating why it can be so hard. Good dude, hope he can hold a spot down soon whether it be in the NHL or AHL.

Unfortunate, but its unlikely that spot is in Philly. When things go back to normal, Elliott will be our starter, and Neuvirth (unless we can move him or he gets injured again) will be our number two. the AHL will be Hart's job, and we have both alex Lyon and Anthony Stolarz for there as well.

Flyers have the market cornered for average at best goalies.

Reactions: BernieParent

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I think he means dealing Archibald, Carcone (easily justifiable given the return in Leivo), bringing up Demko, not sending Gagner to Utica, Holm for Leipsic, Subban for Dowd, etc. Benning has made a lot of moves over the last year or so that have made Utica less competitive.

bringing up demko should not be on that list. demko is a prospect. you bring him up when he was ready regardless of how that impacts utica.

canucks wanted to bring up demko. they had the option of waiving nilsson and hoping he cleared, or trading nilsson for a goalie more likely to clear or already in the ahl. i think it is doubtful nilsson would have cleared given how desperate the flyers apparently are. so short of trading for a guy already in the ahl, mckenna was a pretty good option. the fact pyatt was waived before the trade but mckenna wasn't suggests that there was a decision not to waive mckenna. presumably ottawa was not willing to risk it and the canucks were. i can't blame them for trying. the option now is to try and grab someone/anyone on a pto, which is right where they'd be if they had waived nilsson other than having a 6th round pick.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Unlikely an AHL move for the flyers because if they try to send him down the Canucks can take him back and send him directly to Utica (if no one else makes a claim). Which they will because as you pointed out they desperately need an AHL goalie. I'm guessing Hart's going back to the AHL and McKenna will be sitting on the bench. Good for him, he'll be making an NHL salary.
I will defer to @mouser but I'm fairly certain the Canucks don't get priority when he's waived again.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
seriously there should be a rule against this, it's kind of stupid
teams that trade for a player should be able to send down waiver free for that first time

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
seriously there should be a rule against this, it's kind of stupid
teams that trade for a player should be able to send down waiver free for that first time
No. It ensures that guys get an opportunity in the nhl rather than being buried in the A.

For McKenna he will have another stop after his short stint in Philly. Should be back in the A somewhere sometime in Feb.

Reactions: Mork and Hivemind

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
bringing up demko should not be on that list. demko is a prospect. you bring him up when he was ready regardless of how that impacts utica.

canucks wanted to bring up demko. they had the option of waiving nilsson and hoping he cleared, or trading nilsson for a goalie more likely to clear or already in the ahl. i think it is doubtful nilsson would have cleared given how desperate the flyers apparently are. so short of trading for a guy already in the ahl, mckenna was a pretty good option. the fact pyatt was waived before the trade but mckenna wasn't suggests that there was a decision not to waive mckenna. presumably ottawa was not willing to risk it and the canucks were. i can't blame them for trying. the option now is to try and grab someone/anyone on a pto, which is right where they'd be if they had waived nilsson other than having a 6th round pick.

I don't disagree, but trading Nilsson was the move that brought up Demko. A lot of people were happy with letting Demko play the rest of the year with Utica and then bring him up next season. It wasn't a move that was necessary or imminent.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
No. It ensures that guys get an opportunity in the nhl rather than being buried in the A.

For McKenna he will have another stop after his short stint in Philly. Should be back in the A somewhere sometime in Feb.

I agree for all other kinds of waivers, i 200% agree

All i said, for instances where a trade occurs, there should be an exception

In this specific situation, if Demko drops the bomb, McKenna gets his chance
In Philly, Hart is most likely getting the next start, if he excels, McKenna will become useless... again

so in THIS SPECIFIC case, i think McKenna had an equal chance, sooner or later, to play with Vancouver or Philly

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I will defer to @mouser but I'm fairly certain the Canucks don't get priority when he's waived again.

They don't get special priority, you're correct. What they do get is if McKenna is re-waived by Philly and the Canucks are the only team to put in a claim, then they can assign him directly to the AHL without re-passing him through waivers. If any other team puts in a claim, even if that team is lower priority than the Canucks by points percentage, then normal rules apply.

So Canucks will definitely put in a claim if he goes back on waivers. Whether or not he ends up with them and whether or not he has to be waived again to the go to the AHL will depend on what the other teams do. But he will almost definitely not make it to the Flyer's AHL team (at least not right now).

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad