Tribute Mike Matheson

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Hey guys, I wanted to provide a short tribute to MM. Even then he Covi-19 was his ending, we had some great times over the years. Like a girlfriend who we moved on for the best, let's appreciate him:

His greatest moment: physically destroying the other team to set up an OT winner:

On 3-3 OT he could be deadly (for both teams;)

Against his new team:

His speed was dynamic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2rcChXXvBY

He was willing to stand up for the boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWRpwY5XjFE

Thanks for the memories those years back and good luck; we all wish you the best!

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
MM has the potential to be a really good D Man. Look at his career pre Petersen suspension, I believe he was good then. Something triggered mentally after that suspension. It's too bad.

That Detroit goal with nine seconds left was unbelievable! It made me hang on to belief.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
MM has the potential to be a really good D Man. Look at his career pre Petersen suspension, I believe he was good then. Something triggered mentally after that suspension. It's too bad.

That Detroit goal with nine seconds left was unbelievable! It made me hang on to belief.
Yep. Man he was a beast in 3-3 OT. His skating was great.

I'll miss his best, but I think this is what he needed :)

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
As much as I hated Matheson the last couple seasons. He's a player who once loses confidence is very bad and just doesnt seem to be able to get back. It'll be interesting to see can different system get his game together. I doubth it but you never know
Say nice things here. He's not perfect, but remember the good times.

We killed him for a while and probably blamed him as the symbol for our defense, but there were moments of utter joy with him (as I showed :))

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
I liked Matheson and thought he got a raw deal. Good luck to him. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a really solid addition for them. Watch this trade actually bite us in the arse!
knowing Jim Rutherford's track record as of the last few years, i have a feeling you'll be able to sleep easy when thinking back on this trade

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL

I agree, he wasn't the same player after the suspension. Who knows what that did to his psyche.

Good luck MM in Pitt, hope the change in scenery does you well.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I liked Matheson and thought he got a raw deal. Good luck to him. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a really solid addition for them. Watch this trade actually bite us in the arse!
That’s fine. I hope he figures it out, don’t think he will, but he’s a good guy so I hope things work out. It was never going to here. He could become a first pairing D and I wouldn’t think any differently of this trade. We needed to move on

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Regardless how he does in pitts, he wasn't doing it here. I could see him do better in a different environment, maybe a reset for his confidence to think a team like pitts wants him. He's got the physical tools, just needs to not have so many brain farts.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Mike Matheson is like a singer who does the most awesome scales and tonal exercises, blows away the judges in vocal skills contests, and sings the whole national anthem out of tune.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
24005EF5-2418-4CC1-A236-AD11E9E8336E_1_201_a.jpeg

That's the tribute

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Definitely one of the more memorable players of the past few years. The flashes of brilliance will be missed!

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
For what it’s worth I liked him as a person. He always came off as thoughtful and humble in his interviews.

But definitely pumped about it this trade. I don’t think I’ve been this happy about trading someone away since Ballard.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I don't worry too much about if he will succeed or not. I doubt he's done in the NHL. I don't think he'll ever reach the potential some of us expected him to, but as others have said, with the right coaching staff and culture in Pittsburgh they could build him back up into a decent defenseman. It wasn't going to happen here so getting something as valuable as Hornqvist for him is a huge win.

I don't think Matheson is really as bad as he had been for us, but I don't think he'll ever be anything great in the NHL. I still wish him luck, it's still just hockey at the end of the day and I highly doubt he intended to suck as bad as he did for us lol

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Im unsure if he gets better in Pittsburgh, their culture is different but the pressure is much more higher then in Florida.
And when there is one thing Matheson cant handle then it is pressure. He had some nice skill as Puckcarrier, but i doubt he will ever get all together.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I’ll go through this in full later but I’ll share a couple thoughts that might get glossed over :

He was ALL WORLD for a short time. His first three playoff games (his first game ever in the NHL ) , but moreso what he did at this tournament to be named best Dman , wow ! He started as the 7th Dman behind likes of Ben Hutton which was a joke, and seemed like sports politics. He was clearly better than him at the time :

Team Canada - Ice Hockey World Championships 2016 - Player Stats

I felt he could be a 2/3 for us , and IF he was today ...this D unit looks like world of difference better. I think his game fell off after the contract , not from the Petey suspension.

He needed to go. I’ve argued at one time Ekblad might’ve needed to go, bit he turned it around a bit. Matheson turning it around ? Possible. But a BIG ASK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->