News Article: Mike Matheson receiving Death Threats

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's quite amusing that some 15 y/o idiot internet trolls have done a better job defending Pettersson than Gudbranson. And are probably more of a deterrent.

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
It's quite amusing that some 15 y/o idiot internet trolls have done a better job defending Pettersson than Gudbranson. And are probably more of a deterrent.

Since when did sending death threats to somebody constitute a good job defending a person? That's pathetic.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I heard he is on the IR. Maybe the Canucks medical team has consulted the HF medical team and saw the error of their ways.
I know your being sarcastic but just cause guys here know about hockey doesnt mean they know nothing about medical bub

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I can certainly understand the massive frustration with that idiot Matheson. The Canucks have a legitimate young superstar and this garbage dman puts a halt hopefully not a permanent one. He clearly body slammed Elias and no one vindicated him..They should .have ran at a guy like Barkov or something. You cannot let something like that go by and 2 games isn't enough. It is so hard to be a star in the NHl and when a team has one .....he needs to be protected . I'd be so so pissed if I were a Canucks fan it's certainly a warranted reaction

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I would love for a player to flat out just say this fan base is a joke, and needs a reality check. Hell I'd probably buy whoever's jersey came out and said it.
And you wonder why Benning has to over pay both term and money for free agents. Between this and dealing with the media I'm sure Vancouver is at the top of every free agent's short list.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Man this fanbase really likes to embarrass the hell out of themselves

Fanbase? I dont remember sending anything like that. Just a select few idiot morons, they aint rep the most of us Breaky boy Breakers

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Fanbase? I dont remember sending anything like that. Just a select few idiot morons, they aint rep the most of us Breaky boy Breakers
You guys really need to realize that criticizing a group itself does not automatically imply that every single member of that group is guilty of it. Just that the group itself is (which it is). If a few bad eggs do something bad, that does reflect poorly on the group itself, whether you (or even most people within it) happen to be one of them or not. Same way a few good eggs can reflect well on the group.

The fanbase shouldn't reflect the individuals within it (which is what you're arguing but was never implied by anyone), but the individuals within it absolutely should reflect the fanbase. It's a one-way relationship that we all contribute to.

Last edited:

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Man this fanbase really likes to embarrass the hell out of themselves

I wonder what kind of DMs Benning and Linden got. No wonder Linden decided to step down.

You have to wonder what role the visciously scathing and over the top hateful rhetoric that gets spewed here on an hourly basis plays in encouraging the mindset that causes these people to write death threats to players over social media. I would think it does play a role.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
A fan is by definition a fanatic. They can get really out of hand if their obsession for their team or players starts becoming too emotional. There are Soccer countries where you can get killed for costing your team a match. Opposing fans have to been sectioned off from home fans in order not to cause bloody brawls.

I’m not justifying it, but that is the ugly human (mainly male) side when emotions and anger are left unchecked.

Okay, doctor Phil out!

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
A fan is by definition a fanatic. They can get really out of hand if their obsession for their team or players starts becoming too emotional. There are Soccer countries where you can get killed for costing your team a match. Opposing fans have to been sectioned off from home fans in order not to cause bloody brawls.

I’m not justifying it, but that is the ugly human (mainly male) side when emotions and anger are left unchecked.

Okay, doctor Phil out!
If anything, that's deserved criticism against the idea of being fanatical more than it is justification for the aftermath. And I agree. Tribalism can be fun to entertain, but is ultimately kind of stupid and probably wrong, particularly as it's taken to a more and more serious extreme.

It's funny. We always like to throw around the phrase being a "true fan" as a term of endearment/respect, but if we're going by the textbook definition of it, we should all probably only strive to be moderate fans. Striving to be a legitimate "true/hardcore/die-hard fan" is really really stupid, if you think about it. And we should probably be more than a little embarrassed if we find ourselves showing off those traits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grantham

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
And by the way. Let’s stop treating people who make death threats as though they’re so different from you or I or even the players. For example, in the heat of the moment even a high character guy like Erik Gudbranson made a death threat to Matt Martin which the only problem people had with it was he didn’t follow through.

At the end of the day this boils down to this fan base being extremely passionate. Probably the most passionate in the league. If not top 3. If you look it up, the root word of passion is suffering which makes perfect sense. Canucks fans have suffered more than almost every other fan base. So other people judging are totally ignorant. The suffering of Canucks fans creates a cause and effect relationship between passionate fan responses like sending death threats. To expect Canucks fans to act like monks is unrealistic. It would be nice but so would world peace. Expecting Canucks fans to forget their suffering is like expecting African Americans or First Nations Canadians to forget what they’ve been through and not be angry about it and act like they never suffered. It’s total ignorance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad